1974 Hunter Compact II - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2008, 02:22 PM   #1

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Unhappy

Hi, I've just come acrossed a 1974 Hunter Compact II. I know nothing about it. It's a cute little trailer, but needs alot of work. I was wondering if it's worth while to fix up. Can anyone give me any info. on these trailers?
Cheri S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Hi, I've just come acrossed a 1974 Hunter Compact II. I know nothing about it. It's a cute little trailer, but needs alot of work. I was wondering if it's worth while to fix up. Can anyone give me any info. on these trailers?
You can search on Compact and you'll find a lot of discussion going on them. But as to worth it- that depends. It's a small trailer (less interior space than a typical Scamp or Casita but a bigger bed.) But that's a plus for many people. I have a twin to it, a Campster, and it fits in my standard 7 foot garage. That saves me storage fees. It travels on Washington and BC ferries without a surcharge, which also saves money. It's small and lightweight, and for me, it's perfect. But some of your question depends on the price and the amount of work, and whether you LIKE to do the work.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
YUP--- it's worth it. Nice little trailer. I just went thru a complete rebuild. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
They are nice trailers. We think they are worth fixing.

Linda
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
YUP--- it's worth it. Nice little trailer. I just went thru a complete rebuild. Larry
Complete hardly seems like a strong enough word Larry. For Cheri's immediate benefit, here's the topic:
I Did It Again...A Compact Jr.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe
Cheri,
I agree with everyone. I buy, restore, and sell these little "GEMS". For me, #1 is price. If you are going to pay a lot and still have a lot of time and money to put into it, than don't buy-it. I bought a 1976 Scamp in the spring for $375. I put about 1 1/2 months of weekends and another $250 into it. I sold it for just under $4,000.
So, you have to ask youself:
1. Is the Price right?
2. Are you going to have the time to put in to restore it?
3. Are you going to have the money to restore it the why you want it?

If the price is right, but you don't have the time to restore it, it could turn out like the 76 Scamp I bought. The guy bought it 12 years ago and had good intention to restore. He didn't have the time nor the money to do it. So it was a eye sore for him.

Let us know what you decided to do.

Dave,
"The Trillium King"
Dave Baston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #7

Thank you Bobbie for your imput. I'm still gathering info. and have yet to make up my mind. I do LIKE to do this kind of work, but I don't know if I'll have the funds to do it....Thanks again, Cheri

Quote:
You can search on Compact and you'll find a lot of discussion going on them. But as to worth it- that depends. It's a small trailer (less interior space than a typical Scamp or Casita but a bigger bed.) But that's a plus for many people. I have a twin to it, a Campster, and it fits in my standard 7 foot garage. That saves me storage fees. It travels on Washington and BC ferries without a surcharge, which also saves money. It's small and lightweight, and for me, it's perfect. But some of your question depends on the price and the amount of work, and whether you LIKE to do the work.

Bobbie
Old 11-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #8

Thank you Larry. I took a look at your project and pictures you posted. Mine is in a little worse condition than yours, but repairable or rebuildable. Where do you get parts? One of my biggest problems is that I'm missing the entry door. Everything else looks to be repairable, but where would I get a door?....Thanks again, Cheri

Quote:
Old 11-16-2008, 10:00 AM   #9

Thanks for your imput Dave. I still have not made my decision yet. But I will keep you imform....

Quote:
Cheri,
I agree with everyone. I buy, restore, and sell these little "GEMS". For me, #1 is price. If you are going to pay a lot and still have a lot of time and money to put into it, than don't buy-it. I bought a 1976 Scamp in the spring for $375. I put about 1 1/2 months of weekends and another $250 into it. I sold it for just under $4,000.
So, you have to ask youself:
1. Is the Price right?
2. Are you going to have the time to put in to restore it?
3. Are you going to have the money to restore it the why you want it?

If the price is right, but you don't have the time to restore it, it could turn out like the 76 Scamp I bought. The guy bought it 12 years ago and had good intention to restore. He didn't have the time nor the money to do it. So it was a eye sore for him.

Let us know what you decided to do.

Dave,
"The Trillium King"
Old 11-16-2008, 10:18 AM   #10

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
One of my biggest problems is that I'm missing the entry door. Everything else looks to be repairable, but where would I get a door?.
I don't know if the actual door would be available, but since it is a straight, square door it shouldn't be too hard to replace. It won't offer the same challenge as replacing the molded doors on a round trailer.

But it would take some time and money, so it is definitely on the negative side unless you are a woodworker and could build beautiful wood door to replace it.

Bobbie

Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:43 AM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Thank you Larry. I took a look at your project and pictures you posted. Mine is in a little worse condition than yours, but repairable or rebuildable. Where do you get parts? One of my biggest problems is that I'm missing the entry door. Everything else looks to be repairable, but where would I get a door?....Thanks again, Cheri
The door seems to be the same as those used on pickup canopies (the low version)--about the same quality as mobile home doors..... i.e. two layers of aluminum skin with cardboard in between in an aluminum frame. Not to scare you, but a rebuild like mine was time consuming and a little costly. But, in the end, was worth it. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #12

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
I am replacing mine now as I write this with a door that has a screen door built into it...the original did not...Mine is an Astro but it is identical in many ways and looks the same...measure your door...mine is still usable and I can ship if it measures the same and you can use it should you go for it...I will be a little bolder here than most will be...

I would buy it...its a simple little trailer, so simple to rebuild and fun to own...If your not interested in the little thing please inform this board so it can find a good proper home...Your lucky you found one...or perhaps it will find you?

Harry

Quote:
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:01 PM   #13

Well everyone, thanks for all your imput. I have decided to keep it and take on the challenge of fixing it up.
I will be posting some picture of my progress as I go. Thanks again for all the info. Cheri.........
Attached Thumbnails
new_037.jpg   new_032.jpg  

new_034.jpg   new_028.jpg  

new_029.jpg   new_033.jpg  

new_039.jpg  
Old 11-18-2008, 09:51 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
Congrats on your new trailer Cheri!

It certainly looks like you have your work cut out for you. I look forward to following your progress on it.
Jake Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:26 AM   #15

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
Well everyone, thanks for all your imput. I have decided to keep it and take on the challenge of fixing it up.
I will be posting some picture of my progress as I go. Thanks again for all the info. Cheri.........
Cheri,
I have a 71' Compact Jr., and rebuilding from the ground up. It was in a little better shape than yours, but still removed every stitch of wood. Currenty the shell is off the frame ready to paint inside/out. You live in So. Cal. perhaps you can find a door here at this RV surplus.

Name:   surplus_93.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  30.5 KB
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Hey Cheri,
I'm a fellow Compact II owner, was looking through your pics (GREAT PICS by the way!) and I was wondering, is this how you'd gotten it, or had you already started cleaning things out before you took the pics?
I only wonder because I was noting some things are missing (fresh water tank, refrigerator/icebox, etc) so I was wondering if you'd pulled all that out in your initial cleanup or what... Either way, it's definitely going to take some elbow grease to get it into shape. BUT I think we've all seen rigs in WAY worse shape on here, so it's not impossible.
This website is a great resource, so keep the pics coming and work your resources here, ask all the questions you need to, K?
Good luck on your project, and welcome to the Hunter family! hehe
Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:52 PM   #17

Thanks Cliff. but I think I mignt has alread found one. If this one does not work then I'll try the RV surplus you're talking about. Where is this place?

[quote]Cheri,
I have a 71' Compact Jr., and rebuilding from the ground up. It was in a little better shape than yours, but still removed every stitch of wood. Currenty the shell is off the frame ready to paint inside/out. You live in So. Cal. perhaps you can find a door here at this RV surplus.

Attachment 16858
Old 11-19-2008, 11:12 PM   #18

Hi Joe. Nope, this is the way I got. My husband and I have a clean up business and we've been cleaning up alot of Repo houses lately and this was left at one of the houses. We're in the process of a lien sale on it, which means the previous owner on record (last known owner was in 1995) is notified at the last know address and he'll have 30 days to claim it. Then he'll will have to pay storage fees, doc fees etc. If we hear nothing then I can register it in my name. We've had a few things lately that we've hade to do lien sales on and no one has ever comes forward. I'm hoping the same outcome for this trailer cuz I'm really wanting this one!!!! Keeping my fingers crossed......

Quote:
Hey Cheri,
I'm a fellow Compact II owner, was looking through your pics (GREAT PICS by the way!) and I was wondering, is this how you'd gotten it, or had you already started cleaning things out before you took the pics?
I only wonder because I was noting some things are missing (fresh water tank, refrigerator/icebox, etc) so I was wondering if you'd pulled all that out in your initial cleanup or what... Either way, it's definitely going to take some elbow grease to get it into shape. BUT I think we've all seen rigs in WAY worse shape on here, so it's not impossible.
This website is a great resource, so keep the pics coming and work your resources here, ask all the questions you need to, K?
Good luck on your project, and welcome to the Hunter family! hehe
Joe
Old 11-19-2008, 11:42 PM   #19

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
If you're new to the idea of renovating a trailer, my though is the Hunter Compact II is probably one of the best "project" trailers you could buy. It's mostly rectangular shape makes repairing and replacing the interior cabinetry pretty simple, and it's small size makes it a pretty fast first project. I might buy one some day, just to see what I could do with it . . .

Good luck on your project!

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:36 PM   #20

Trailer: 73 13 ft Hunter Compact II
How is your project doing. I am working on a 73 Compact II. It is small but I got it for the bed and made it into a king size 80x72 bed.
Darrel Smith is offline   Reply With Quote