1975 Boler propane heater: broken thermostat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #1

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
1975 Boler propane heater: broken thermostat

Hi, remember me? I did a mega inside-out job on a 1975 Boler last year, from January to July. Couldn't have done it without this Forum.

After one week of use, while on vacations, we discovered that my oldest daughter had lymph nodes cancer. Turned out to be Hodgkin's lymphoma, one of "the best cancers" to have. Chemo did the job and she's cancer free.

I never got around to share picture of the final product and I don't have time for that today...

During our last bumpy ride, our heater broke. The little wire that ends up with a "swollen part" broke just before the "swollen part", releasing a few drops of blue liquid. That's what made us discover the break.

All I know is that it's a Wagon Master heater. The repair guy told me "it'll be hell to find a part". He says the thermostat comes with the valve. Best case scenario, the valve/thermostat will be changed if the part is to be found (mega $$ according to him). Otherwise, plan B is a new heater.

We never used the heater. Am not sure what to do.

Any words of wisdom?

Any friendly place that you know where I could find the parts I need? I'm in Quebec...

Thanks you, thank you!
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
If you don't do any boondocking just get an electric heater. If you do boondocking then I have seen complete furnaces for sale on Craigslist and Kijiji.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:10 PM   #3

Name: Neto
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
A must read !
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...you-58565.html
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:04 PM   #4

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
StStephan: I agree, the furnace is not necessary for our needs.

Neto: I did a quick read of the FIVE pages of discussion about that. Interesting. The solid info is a little bit diluted, but interesting. As usual, the pros and cons seem to even out.

I took the decision to plug the propane line going to the furnace. That gives me time to decide whether I'll just take it out or get it fixed.

When I got my propane system inspected last year, "they" told me that I needed to bring the exhaust pipe further, outside of the vent / grill. I ended up modifying the vent and having an ugly exhaust pipe sticking out. Functionally, I think it made the heater safer.

I might just take it out and use the extra room...

Thank you for your input!
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, propane