1975 trillium 1300 belly band options? - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-19-2015, 08:42 AM   #1

Name: Matt
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Nova Scotia
1975 trillium 1300 belly band options?

Hi,
I have just finished repairing/resealing all of the windows and now trying to figure out what to do with the belly band. At some point in its life someone has removed rivets and used screws through the backing plate all the way into the trailer. Also, previous owner took out some rivets and simply rerivetted all the way into the trailer as well. Fairly confident that he had no clue as he told me to silicone the windows when I found out they were leaking. There is old caulking of some type along the top of the band that is separated in many spots.
I don't have any experience with fibreglass repair but am willing to give it a shot. I am wondering if I just remove the band and screws and rivets if I can't just leave backing plates and seal everything up from the outside using appropriate epoxy/fibreglass procedures. This should keep everything watertight and structurally sound. I would welcome any thoughts or direction.
Thanks
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 09-19-2015, 09:13 AM   #2

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Hi Matt, if you do a search, you will find some good info on removing the trim, and fibreglassing the belly band. I did it to a '76 Trillium 1300, and it looks fantastic. Plus, it was not hard to do at all, and if you are fine with doing glass work, you could handle it.

After grinding out the joint to accept glass cloth, glass matt, and then glass reinforced filler, I did remove many of the backing plates, as they were near the surface, and easy to get out. Some of the ones embedded well, and that would be at least 1/8" below the surface, I left in place. This post describes what I did.
1976 Trillium 1300 Remodel - For Caitlin

Boy, I really need to update that thread.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:05 AM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Quebec
Matt, I did much the same thing, removing the easy backing plates and leaving some others. Under the rear window I had to slip in a thin piece of plywood to hold the glass paste from sliding down and away, but the rest of the repair was easy. Be care not to grind away too much of the original glass as it is quite thin. Otherwise you will find doing this repair fairly easy.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckayaker View Post
Under the rear window I had to slip in a thin piece of plywood to hold the glass paste from sliding down and away, but the rest of the repair was easy..
This one of the reasons I did one layer of glass cloth, and two or three of glass matt. Not only did it cover all the holes to provide backing for the glass filler, it also added good strength to the area.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:00 PM   #5

Nova Scotia
Thanks Jim and CKayaker,
I appreciate the advice. It looks like quite the project but well worth it. Jim, the pictures of your repair are very helpful.
Matt
Old 09-20-2015, 03:29 PM   #6

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
I did the belly band last summer. First fiberglassing I have ever done. I left all the plates in place and sealed them in. I used long thread fiberglass first to fill, and then used short thread fiberglass to shape. The biggest problem I had was getting the mix correct. I used to much hardener at first and it had a very short working time. Have fun.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:31 AM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I don't believe that it is necessary to remove all the plates, but I did. I found that if you cut them in half, with a Dremmel and a cut off wheel, you can pull the two halves like rotten teeth. Just pull the non riveted half first.
My First Belly Band Thread
My Second Belly Band Thread
Old 09-23-2015, 05:14 AM   #8

Nova Scotia
Thanks David and Claire,
The pictures and the step by step description of the process are very helpful. Hopefully be able to get started on the project this weekend. Matt

Tags
trillium