1977 Trillium easy 7 way plug installation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2018, 08:21 PM   #1

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
1977 Trillium easy 7 way plug installation

My Trillium is just wired for a four way plug, although the main harness is set up for seven wire operation. The old 41 year old four way plug was beat and not hooking up well. Myself, I prefer the round seven way plug anyway, so I did the swap.

The original harness had obviously drug on the ground, so that determined where I was going to cut it. I picked up a seven way plug, with a four foot cord and a waterproof junction box on eBay for $19.99. Since the box alone goes for over $10, I thought it was an excellent deal. Longer cords can be had for more $$, but I didn't need a longer cord.

I mounted the box to the side of the frame near the tongue. I have about 16 inches of cord beyond the center of the hitch ball, so that should be more than enough. I only hooked up the four wires. The rest end at the box.

One nice thing about this setup, if the cord or plug ever has a problem, just attach a replacement into the junction box.

Hard to see, but red wire is worn down to the copper:

1977 Trillium 7 way plug by wrk101, on Flickr

New junction box (capped off wires are extras from the trailer):

Approximate cord length beyond the trailer:

thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:58 PM   #2

Name: Flat
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Utah
Well done. So many people cobble electrical and make a mess of it, then complain when circuits are problematic. Your solution is nice and tidy.

Please tell us your next project was replacing those unsafe safety chains - YIKES!!
flatfendershop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #3

Name: Ross
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
Registry
Nice setup Thrifty, I did nearly the same but my connection box is behind my refrigerator inside with outside access. I also fixed 7 pin plug to trailer and use a extension 14" for connecting tow vehicle.
Trailer connection
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=85651
Seaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfendershop View Post
Well done. So many people cobble electrical and make a mess of it, then complain when circuits are problematic. Your solution is nice and tidy.

Please tell us your next project was replacing those unsafe safety chains - YIKES!!
Yes, new safety chains are on the list. Pretty long list right now, but I have done a bunch too.

Safety chains and LED interior lighting and then its ready for its first camping outing.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium