1984 UHaul 13CT changes hands - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
1984 UHaul 13CT changes hands

Today Mike's UHaul has moved from western Mass to central Mass. It won't be far away and we will continue to consult on how to make more tweaks. I towed it home with my Honda CR-V and never got less than 26 miles per gallon, so I am pleased as punch.

Sharon D
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0277.jpg  

Old 10-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #2

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Have fun! These are wonderful little trailers. We didn't get out as much this year with our VT (bigger cousin of the CT) due to other plans, but having a fiberglass egg has changed our lives for the better. Keep us posted with any tweaks!

Old 10-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have met Mike, but never saw the camper. We also tow ours with a CRV, a 2003. You'll have to come to next years Northeast Rally, if we do one. Your first tweak, install the new windows?? I provided the weatherstrip for Mike, but as I understand he never installed the windows?
Old 10-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #4

Massachusetts
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We have met Mike, but never saw the camper. We also tow ours with a CRV, a 2003. You'll have to come to next years Northeast Rally, if we do one. Your first tweak, install the new windows?? I provided the weatherstrip for Mike, but as I understand he never installed the windows?
Thank you for the weatherstrip. He gave us all the parts, including the new windows and weatherstripping. Yes, we will be working on that, along with updating the solar and Tweaking the electrical so it will be easier for me. My personal project is to figure out a better way to handle the table. I want it up during the day, but maybe with a drop leaf so it is easier to bet in and out, and telescopic so I don't have to remove the leg.

Sharon
Old 10-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We keep the rear bed made up always, so no table. Removed the useless solar panel, removed stove and furnace. Installed shelves in closet, slide out storage baskets under bed, new power converter and all new 12 and 110 volt wiring, additional lights, counter extensions, drawer in place of furnace, casita chair and shorter couch cushions in front as bunk is gone, dorm fridge in place of ice box, outside light in place of furnace vent, bag awning, fantastic fan roof vent, scamp window in rear. Replaced body mount bolts as they rust away in the floor.Current project is a tongue mount storage box and a modified rear bike rack.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #6

Name: Roamin
Trailer: Scamp 13'
New Hampshire
Congratulations!!!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Cool!
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #8

Massachusetts
Registry
Mike had new left and right windows, and I am grateful that he passed them along to me along with other pieces he had collected. I need to do some work on the door window as well. It looks like a piece of window broke and was replaced by a piece of plexiglass. The screen doesn't look quite right either. Any advice?
Old 10-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Congrats! Enjoy it! Thanks for sharing pics............
Old 10-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #10

New York
Best option on the door window may be to get a custom made clamp type replacement. The original Uhaul door window is installed the same as the side windows with rubber weatherstrip. I only gave mike enough weatherstrip to do the side windows, each one takes just about 7 feet. The front and rear windows are held in with a clamp ring which is a better method. A glass shop may be able to repair your existing door window, but another member here found a supplier where you should be able to get a new window for around $125. When you install the side windows you will need the tool to install the lock strip, I used Lisle tool #47000, available at auto parts stores or Amazon, for around $15.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:19 AM   #11

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We keep the rear bed made up always, so no table. Removed the useless solar panel, removed stove and furnace. Installed shelves in closet, slide out storage baskets under bed, new power converter and all new 12 and 110 volt wiring, additional lights, counter extensions, drawer in place of furnace, casita chair and shorter couch cushions in front as bunk is gone, dorm fridge in place of ice box, outside light in place of furnace vent, bag awning, fantastic fan roof vent, scamp window in rear. Replaced body mount bolts as they rust away in the floor.Current project is a tongue mount storage box and a modified rear bike rack.
Mary & Bob, I would love to see pix of your interior. My '83 Burro starts from the same basic layout, and like you I've eliminated the back table in favor of a permanent almost-queen sized bed with a one-piece foam mattress. I need to do some major rewiring as pretty much everything was disconnected when the body came off for a whole new floor and accompanying frame work. At this point, I'm thinking of a semi-permanent installation of a mini-dinette in the front so it's more solid and stable, then going back to the space in the rear and fabbing a sort of dresser with drawers in the space under the bed.

Much of my camping is in a location without electrical or water hook-ups, so I will be depending on an icebox and a lot of 12 volt stuff... I already have a good solar panel (portable to point where most effective) and a couple of semi-good car batteries to make my system work OK... I'll probably need to upgrade the battery set, though. I'm leaving the pump sink and 2 burner stove top as-is, although my "kitchen" tends to go outside when possible onto a folding table from Wally-World. The table is half wire top for my Camp Chef™ Oven and half plastic for everything else.

I've collected a ton of pix of the decor of these little trailers, but can't always determine the mechanics of the mods folks do to end up where they are when they show them off. I don't want to drift this thread too badly so maybe another thread to show off our interior set-ups would be in order. I'll try to get some in-progress stuff when I can.

Regards,
Froggie
Old 10-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
weatherstrip tool

Hi Sharon: Its been a day since we talked. The weatherstrip tool is in the plastic bag with the strip. Sounds like your off to a great start. My driveway has a big empty space. Mike
Old 10-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #13

Name: Chris
Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft CT
Northwest Arkansas
Green Frog, . I also made some changes to the original interior. I completely separated the 110volt system and the 12volt system. The main reason being that if you are in a campground setting with electricity, then you can use the 110 system: lights, small refrigerator, small air conditioner, small microwave, a flat wall mounted (in this case under the bed) electric heater, etc. But I also have it set up where if you are dry camping with the 12volt system, it has a Fantastic Fan in the ceiling for ventilation with a Vent Cover over the fan to keep out rain, an Olympian 3000 BTU catalytic heater, 12" x 10" x 3 ˝", for heat (propane), a new Kyocera KC 50 watt/3 amp solar panel, with a Go Power GPM-30 solar regulator/ controller, a new group 29 RV deep cycle battery. I replaced all the overhead car type light bulbs with new PBC series LED lamps, it has a built-in radio/cd player, a CB system, and I also installed some cigarette type plug-ins for various 12volt type needs. I tried to make it as self-sufficient as possible. Kind of a 72 hour emergency pack on wheels, as well as for camping.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #14

Name: Lou
Trailer: U-Haul
Quebec
Do you still have the bunk beds? If so, do you have the dimensions of the cushions? Is the lower cushion in 4 pieces?

Tags
uhaul