1989 Casita Liberty project - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 11:07 AM   #1

Name: Beth
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
1989 Casita Liberty project

Hi all!

I posted a few days ago on the welcome thread, but I figured I'd switch gears and start our "project" thread over here. Thanks for everyone who answered some of the first questions I had!

Current question... what is the best way to go about fixing a leak in the ceiling fan? The PO disclosed that there was one which led to the rotten floor. I tried searching for this on the forums, but there are so many posts, I found things about replacing the fan, but nothing on resealing and hoping that fixes it! We aren't sure where the leak actually is...haven't tested it yet, but wondered if you all had any wisdom to share.

Pics to come of the project...have the whole sub-floor removed...now it's just airing out.
Holmes4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:11 PM   #2
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Many people have removed their fans and reseated them using butyl tape. It's a job, but is arguably the best way to be sure to fix the leak. Those terms added to the ones you've already used might yield more pertinent results. You might also try looking through the "modifications" forum, and/or "problem solving." I'll have a look, too. I might be able to remember who posted about this in the past, once I start perusing the search results.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:30 AM   #3

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: 1991 16' Casita
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes4 View Post
Pics to come of the project...have the whole sub-floor removed...now it's just airing out.
I'd love to see some pics! Did you have to remove the sub-floor throughout the entire camper, or was the damage more isolated to one particular area?

As for your question, I'm only a couple months into fiberglass egg ownership myself, but through the research I've done on both camper and boat forums, the butyl tape that a few have mentioned is what seems to yield the best results for sealing things like windows, vents, etc. Silicone is apparently a real no-no (there are jokes about people getting banned from forums if they use it! ), a stronger polyurethane sealant is what was recommended to me by a friend who has done some camper restorations, and again what seems to come up the most in forums. Sikaflex is one brand that gets referenced a fair bit, for my project I'm using a sealant made by LOCITITE as it was the recommendation I got.

Best of luck, I'm looking forward to seeing how things turn out!

Jonathan
shaggydoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #4

Oregon
Recent updates

We've made some progress on our project!

Floors
The hubs was able to remove all the subfloor in the main living area. Floor was more solid near the closet and bathroom so we opted not to tear that out yet...down the road we may need to but I think we got all the dry rot by removing the kitchen and dinette floor. It was actually so rotten that we were able to carefully remove it without removing any of the kitchen cabinets!! We opted for marine grade plywood and just installed that earlier in the week. It's so nice having a solid floor to walk on!!

Plumbing
We ripped out the plumbing under the kitchen sink to the water tank and water heater and will replace that soon.

Random Changes
*All of the cabinet doors (and every piece of nasty mdf) came out and our next step is to use them to create templates for the new ones. I was able to save all the hardware, so that's nice. Need to grind some rust off some of the hinges, but everything is in pretty good shape still.
*Removed all the caulking around the toilet and will be recaulking that soon.
*About to pull the trigger on new butyl tap and reseal the two large side windows...it rained yesterday and those two windows were the only ones that leaked...the roof vent didn't even leak and that's where the PO said the leak was. We may end up just resealing everything so we don't have to think about it for a number of years. For those who have resealed their windows, how long did it take?
*We were able to salvage all the cushions and cushion covers. Washed all the covers with the max amount of bleach I could add to the washer and they came out looking great. Then hung them out in the sun for about 5 days. For the cushions, I had to spray some mold spots with 1/2 water 1/2 bleach solution...sat them in the sun to air out...then sprinkled baking soda on them (one side at a time) and let them sit out in the sun more...then sprayed them with 1/2 vinegar 1/2 water solution (one side at a time) and let them sit in the sun. After about 5 days, they look and smell a million times better.

Some random pics are below!

Next up ... sealing windows and new plumbing!
Attached Thumbnails
20160701_181249.jpg   20160701_181209.jpg  

20160701_181105.jpg  
Old 07-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #5

Oregon
New Album

I also started an album to track all of our before...and someday after pics!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...lbums1813.html

Tags
casita, ceiling fan, leaks, project, remodel, reno