2010 16 foot Scamp - Gravel Guard Front Window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2017, 10:01 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp
Ontario
2010 16 foot Scamp - Gravel Guard Front Window

Hello everyone,

We completed a long one month trip this summer and at the end, actually the last day we noticed the gravel guard for the front window hanging on one support. We now find the bottom clips/snaps no long pull down enough to hold the gravel guard in place. When we inspect the fastners/clips/snaps there seems to be nothing wrong with them. Has anyone experienced this and what is the fix?

Many thanks!
Shorton146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:32 AM   #2

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
We actually use zip ties on the top fittings of the gravel shield to hold it in place when/while we prop the gravel shield up/open to use it as a window awning.

We also sometimes use the propped open gravel shield as a temporary mounting spot for a smallish solar panel.

Not sure why your hardware is suddenly too loose to stay securely closed?

Good luck!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Same problem here. When I first got mine (used), only one lower catch was holding, and after a few years of use, neither did. What I noticed was the top loop had worn a groove into the hook, probably from road vibration. It was starting to rust anyway, so I ordered and installed all new hardware from Scamp. It's quite tight now.

Learned later the hardware is used for old-fashioned wooden screen windows, so you might be able to find it locally.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:20 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Ontario
Fixed

Very helpful thanks! There was nothing worn on the top supports. What happened was the bottom brackets had been bent towards the gravel shield, closing the distance required for the brackets to snap tightly and hold it in place. Now either one of two things happened, either the brackets bent and fatigued from to much use, or one of my kids stepped on it. I don't think its the latter as both brackets were bent not just one of them. Anyways the solution was to bend the brackets away from the gravel shield increasing the distance and allowing the snaps to close tightly.
Shorton146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:00 PM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Glad it turned out to be a simple fix!
Old 09-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #6

Name: Jim
Illinois
Gravel shield

I only use my shield as a awning. When on the road, it is stored inside . With the shield removed , I have a better view of rear traffic using the inside rear view mirror. The window is plexiglass, so why use a shield .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:24 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimp View Post
The window is plexiglass, so why use a shield .
Plexi can still be broken or cracked from road debris and the shield is a lot cheaper to fix. If you're using your TV inside rearview mirror through the trailer to see someone behind you, you may be better off to get a cheap camera to do the job. You may never have a broken front window but.....
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:55 PM   #8

Name: Jim
Illinois
Shield

I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles in 63 years & had only 1 chipped windshield in that time period so I'm not going to sweat it now . If driving on gravel roads, then I would opt for the shield .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimp View Post
I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles in 63 years & had only 1 chipped windshield in that time period so I'm not going to sweat it now . If driving on gravel roads, then I would opt for the shield .
You are very welcome to come on up our way and experience our winter roads. The winter road maintenance crews put down gravel to improve traction on the icy surfaces. The gravel is thrown up by the wheels of cars and trucks and does a real number on your windshield. Because of rock bruises and cracks on my windshields from winter driving, I have replaced the windshield of my FJ five times since it was purchased new in 2011.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:45 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
2010 16 foot Scamp - Gravel Guard Front Window

No point in going looking for trouble, eh?

They used to use crushed volcanic rock on the roads here- we called it "cinders"- but the state switched to liquid de-icer a number of years ago. Accidents and cracked windshields went way down, but it's corrosive, so we have to regularly wash the undercarriage. I don't tow during winter storms, anyway.

I agree with Jimp. Towing on highways is unlikely to crack the plexiglass. All the rock chips on my Scamp are below the belt.

I do get plenty of bugs above, though. My shield keeps the window bug-free. Over time you may also get fine scratches in the plexiglass from wind rash, as it's much softer than glass.

Tags
scamp