25' Bigfoot Owners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 25 ft Bigfoot / 2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4X4
Registry
Hi

We have just purchased a 25' RQ 2500 Bigfoot and are wondering what other options other 25' Bigfoot owners have - ie generator, solar panels, electric hitch, screen room etc. We find the shower quite small - it has a shower curtain - wondering if anyone has reconfigured the shower rod so that it goes out further into the bathroom area making the shower seem larger (not sure how to describe this but have seen this sort of thing for regular showers where the rod is rounded (rather than straight). We are not members of the Bigfoot site (so can not post there) as we had a temporary membership and did not find that there was much action - unlike this site!!

Thanks, Julie

F.Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Firstly Julie, to "Egging" on the mainland.

The shower rod issue you are talking about PROBABLY won't work in the confines of your (already) smallish shower area unless you can come up with a custom made one. If you think you might benifit from a larger shower area, I suggest moving the existing shower rod further away from the shower itself, in effect 'enlarging' your shower area. I feel that these (smaller-ish) trailers aren't really built for luxury, but moreso just to do whatever it takes to get the job done, whilst one is 'roughing it'.

NOT having the luxury of a trailer big enough to have a shower, I can't talk about th size of the Boler Bath!!.

I did try to put a curved shower rod into our bath/shower at home will lousy results BECAUSE the bath tub is NOT regular length and even with some customizing (resulting in me NOT being able to to return it) could NOT make the rod work as intended.

In another life, we did own a stickie trailer with a shower and learned to livein with its tight confines!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:56 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Julie, We also have the 25' RQ. I know exactly what you mean about the shower.

We place a rod across the out side of the shower wall. To that we have added Velcro. On the shower curtain we have Velcro on the ends of the curtain and stick it to the inside of the shower walls. Then we push the curtain to stick to the rod. It gives like 6" of extra room inside. I plan on taking it one step further by moving the shower head to the hall side and placing a seat over the wheel well area.

We replaced the <span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-family:Arial">Trailer Jack</span></span></span> with an electric one.

We upgraded the stabilizers under the trailer with heavy duty so the trailer doesn't shake so much.

As for a generator, I extended the tongue about six inches and placed a 2400i Yamaha generator inside the "dog House".

The back vent over the bed has 12 volt power to it. So we replaced the crank up vent with a MAXX Air vent.

Also, We upgraded our batteries to 220 AH AGM batteries. That is about three times the stock capacity.

I hope this helps,
Mike

PS: Keep us posted what you do to make your Bigfoot work for you.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:44 AM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hi Julie! Welcome to Fiberglass RV and Bigfoot ownership!

Our 25RQ is box stock. This may seem hard to fathom, but one of the reasons we bought the 25RQ was because of it's LARGE shower! I'm 6'5" tall and can stand up comfortably in it! The "shoulder room" isn't huge, but it's no worse than many other trailers I've owned... some costing 3x as much when new.

The only "mod" we've made is putting an 80" full length queen mattress in the bedroom. It makes a huge difference. I do have a 4kw generator and solar panels on my tow vehicle, though. Unlike Mike, I'd probably just carry a small generator in the back of a pickup if I felt I needed one, although in twenty-five years of trailering, I've never done that.

The Bigfoot Owners Club Int'l site is definately worth joining, even though it's not as active as here, it is Bigfoot-issue specific and most of the owners are more than happy to share their experience.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
We are members of the Bigfoot Forum and during our trial period we also thought there was not enough activity to join. We joined anyway and are glad we did. Like Roger stated “Most all topics are about Bigfoot issues” and it is certainly a good place to ask specific questions.

We bought our trailer used and it has just about every option.

In response to your question on options:

Solar pre-wire option: You may want to consider pre-wired for solar. Our trailer was not pre-wired for solar and I have just completed the installation of solar. It was a little difficult running the wires for the solar, but in the end I succeeded and have it the way I wanted it to be done.

Fantastic Fan option: Our unit also has a Fantastic fan in the main area and in the bathroom. I would not have considered the Fantastic fan in the bathroom, but it has been very nice. If you need to move a lot of air, like after being out all day and returning in the cool of the evening to a warm trailer, we run both fans for awhile. Also, if fan noise bothers you, run the one in the bathroom instead of the main cabin at night. Still pulls air through the window, but much harder to hear that fan from the bed.

Ladder and rack option: We have the ladder option on ours, but I would not order it. We have never and will probably never use the space on the roof for storage. We use the ladder since it is there for taking care of things, and now for cleaning the solar panels, but I would prefer not having all the holes in the fiberglass that it took to mount the ladder and storage rack. I prefer the clean look of no ladder and it would be much easier to wax.

Dual pane window option: Of course, it’s a Bigfoot.

We have done several modifications to our trailer that I hope to post soon. The biggest was the battery & convertor upgrade along with the solar and inverter addition.

Congrats on your new trailer,
Dean
Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 25 ft Bigfoot / 2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4X4
Registry
Hi!

Thanks for all the responses!

Doug - Thanks for the insight - never did feel we were "roughing it" in the Boler though as it also had a toilet and shower!

Mike - Thanks - the shower rod idea sounds very "doable"! All great mods that you have added! Not sure how extending the tongue would provide the room to place the generator in the "dog house" (is that the fibreglass cover over the battery and propane tanks?) Ours only appears to have room for the 2 propane tanks and the battery. Is there an easy way to tell if the rear (or front) vents have power to them? We do have light fixtures that run down the middle of the trailer so perhaps you can tap into them?

Roger - Thanks for the welcome etc!

Dean - Thanks for the thoughts - our Bigfoot is also used and has lots of options - how would we know if it was prewired for solar? I agree about the fantastic fan - we have one in the bathroom. Looking forward to reading about your mods!

We purchased our Bigfoot from a dealer who had just taken it in on a trade from the original owner. The dealer was not that familiar with Bigfoot trailers and referred to the brochure for answers to our questions. The Bigfoot has pretty much all the options for comfortable "camping!?!?!"!

Thanks again, Julie

F.Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #7

When you take the doghouse off and all the stuff out, this is what you have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	original.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	15247

Here is the modifications I made...

Name:	propane_generator.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	15248

Propane & generator. Two 6 volt AGM batteries connected in sieries relocated.
Note the frame overlaps and makes room for the propane tank.

Name:	hitch.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	15249

New easy to work & adjustable hitch.

Name:	doghouse.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	15250

Doghouse back on and everything works well.
(I do not use an equalizer hitch. The previous owner did and cut the sloppy holes in the sides of the doghouse.)
Old 08-17-2008, 09:28 PM   #8

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Julie, I should also mention that my '06 25RQ came with a "SHUB" retractable film shower door rather than a shower curtain.

Roger

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #9

Almost forgot, I modified the water inlet with a Kwik Connect. Oh man did that ever make a big difference in connecting the water.

Tags
bigfoot