303 Aerospace Protectant - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2008, 06:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 1989 13 ft Scamp
I know this product has been mentioned before in this forum. I was curious what results anyone has had with it. How often you had to apply it. How much is needed to do a 13 foot scamp.

Here is a link to the product I'm talking about.

303 Aerospace Protectant
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
The ad on Amazon makes it sound like pretty amazing stuff, I'm curious to hear about anybody's experience with it myself.
I have yet to do anything to really shine up or 'restore' the look of my trailer's fiberglass. But when it comes back to my garage next year (after I'm done with school and have a garage again! YAY!) I'll probably be ready to do some detail work like that.
So who has used this magic spray? hehe
Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
This sounds more like Armor-all. I've used Nufinish, wax, light rubbing compound, bar keeper's friend all on my U-haul's exterior - couple of those products I took 6 hours to apply - and it lasted about a week. I can't imagine a spray really working.

Although this weekend I was able to see a trailer with Vert-glas applied to it - the owner of the Casita told me that his exterior was as dull if not more dull than mine, and after 4 coats his trailer looked like brand new...so much that I'm going to do it to mine before it goes into storage. For $70, and some work - I hope to get the same result as the Casita owner did with his.

I can't imagine a simple spray doing the same.

Just my 2Cents
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 1989 13 ft Scamp
Carolyn,

I had the same impression. It is an Amor-All type product. I had just heard of some others here that had used it and wanted to know what kind of long term results they had.

They Vert-glas system you're talking about also caught my eye. What I've seen of it has been pretty impressive. However I have only seen picture..not in person.

My Scamp isn't in that bad of shape. I have rubbed the oxidation off with 3M cleaner / polish, but it doesn't have the shine that the trailers that have been done with the Vert-glas system.
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Dave,

As a former resident of Michigan, attended CMU, but am a UofM fan, I can tell you that seeing the Vert-Glas first hand really was amazing!! From a distance, this Casita's owner's trailer looked like mine does after a rain shower and before it dries...he claims that after a couple more coats, it'll look like you can dip your finger into your trailer..

I was going to use Poli-glow, but now that I've seen the Vert-glass first hand, I'm totally sold on it and will be applying soon.
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
303? Here's some posts from the archives: 303

Recommendations run the gambit.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:55 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Here is a page show before and after using Vertglass.

http://www.marinestore.com/vertglas-images...304882297966401
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Also, consider PloyGlow...

http://www.myboatstore.com/poliglow2.asp?s...CFRIcawodqEsueQ

Photos: Before & After http://www.myboatstore.com/pictures.asp
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:29 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
303 is kind of expensive and I believe it's really intended more for poly plastics than fiberglass.

I recall reading a post by a chemist on a kayak forum that 303 actually makes a protective chemical change to the surface of poly kayaks.

I recall that one of the Poli-Glow fact sheets showed how they compared finishes by sticking a yardstick on the surface and reading in inches how far the image is sharp.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:57 AM   #10

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
not Armor-All at all. Armor-All is petroleum based and 303 isn't. I have used 303 on kayaks for years, both poly and glass. apply in spring and fall. also great on car interiors, boat seats.... even tires.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:54 AM   #11

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Try Poliglow the best stuff I have ever used.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...amp;hl=poliglow
http://www.ahoycaptain.com/shop/poliglow.html

Name:   kit.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  21.6 KB
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:06 AM   #12

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Burro Widebody (bought in Ohio. Drove home Spring 2009!)
Quote:
not Armor-All at all.
Correct - 303 is a different sort of stuff. I use the standard 'aerospace protectant' on my sit on top kayaks (polyethylene - roto molded). BUT they make various other products too depending on the intended application.

I was gonna link to the older 303 post, but I see that Donna already did.

If anyone is interested they offer a 'FREE' (for $5.00 postage, of course) sample kit of several of their products and literature. I recommend the sample kit as an inexpensive way to at least become familiar with what 303 is as compared to the typical "Armor All" type products. There's tons of info on the direct website too - www.303products.com - rather than just reading from someone else's sales link.

I can't speak for use on fiberglass, or on FGRVs (haven't even got one yet...... yet) but for what I use their products for, for sporting and automotive applications, 303 is great.

hope I don't sound like an info-mercial. I'm not a paid spokesman - just a convinced consumer.
reinhold m is offline   Reply With Quote