'75 Trillium, Day 1 - The Clean Up - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #21

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I agree with Ron. While, not the best choice, it is done and good for three to four years. Every solution is temporary. Yours is just slightly more temporary Enjoy it while it lasts.

Part of the problem with silicone is how difficult it is to remove, once it has set. Search this site. Someone described a product that re-liquifies silicone. That is probably the best way to remove it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:21 AM   #22

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Silicone Removers

We had two silicone removers recommended to us but the user had not tried them on a gel-coat / fiberglass. They were:

Silicone Removal DSR-5 easily and quickly removes silicone and polyurethane caulks from a multitude of surfaces without damaging coatings or surrounding materials.

Remov Canada Re-Mov - Silicone & Adhesive Remover does not dissolve Silicone, it breaks the bond between the silicon and the substrate. and is safe on metals, glass, wood, fiberglass/gel coat, plexiglas/polycarbonates, carpets, etc.

If you do try either, would appreciate hearing the results.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #23
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
RV stores sell butyl tape. Usually in several widths. I also found it at the local lumber yard in a 1/2" by 50ft roll. It's used to seal sheet metal roofing. Make sure it says butyl tape as there are other products used for that purpose. I doubled it up when I did my windows. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Another question

There is some kind of calking around the belly band that is pretty much dried out and peeling off. I would like to remove and re-seal it. What should I use?
dylemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #25
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
There are lots of posts on the Trillium belly band. Do a search first. Caulking is a temporary fix. A non silicon caulk has been recommended in the past. I used Lexel on mine. It is not easy to work but does the job. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #26

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The belly band is one of the major jobs that every Trillium needs to have done. It stems from how the top and bottom are joined. The two half's were lined up by riveting the belly band to steel plates on the inside of the trailer. For every rivet in the belly band, there is a steel plate. Then they run a strip of fibreglass around the inside. The problem is that, from the outside, under the belly band, there are pockets that the steel plates sit in. These pockets collect water. The water freezes in the winter and expands, making the pocket bigger. At the same time, the presence of water and the different metals of the steel plate and the aluminum rivet creates a reaction resulting in the steel plate corroding and expanding as rust forms. This also causes the pocket to become bigger. Eventually the pocket ruptures into the trailer, and you have a leek.
The solution is to remove the belly band and the steel plates. Then fill the resulting void with fibreglass bondo, sand and paint. Personally I like the look with no belly band, but some then add an adhesive belly band on top of the repair.

I think that different metals are now used insted of the steel plates in the trailers made today. The same pockets probably exist.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #27

Trailer: 1980 16 ft Scamp (Restored)
Registry
Your fridge looks just like the one I just replaced in my Scamp. It was an Dometic RM211...I replaced it with a Norcold 323. The local RV shop did the work. Beyond my comfort level. I have the RM211 manuals I'f be happy to mail them to you if you need them, or I could answer any specific questions via email. At the time my Dometic died it was only operating on 110V.
Lawrence
Albany Oregon
Lawrence W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium