'77 Boler -- total newbies - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #61

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Kansas
Update: I surprised Jess today by putting the frame and body back together while she was at work. Now we can get started on the body and paint work!!!

Here are the latest pictures with the redone frame, new axle and the new wheels and tires all where they belong. The Tires are 185/?/r14. They fit, but just barely. The left side has plenty of room, but the right is pretty tight, I can just squeeze my hand between the body (around the wheel well) and the tire, otherwise there is plenty of room inside the wheel well.

Tried to get a close up of the new frame paint. This just reminds me I need to paint the tongue jack and chain.

You can see just a smidgen of fiberglass damage on the left side of the frame. This actually occurred when we took the body off. I don't remember how.

Curb side. The trailer sits much higher with the new axle, tires and wheels. I believe it is right at the same ground clearance as our T.V. This is the side the tire gap is very slim. Should be okay with a little modification.

Overall shot.

Left side. Note, Jess has started to remove everything to get ready for paint. We are still not sure what to do about a window. We are thinking big.

All for now, hopefully get more done tomorrow.

--Sam
Sam and Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:23 AM   #62

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Looking good!

What's the story with the window?

I had the window missing that side when I got my Boler. The PO had removed it and put in framing for a window a/c, then covered with plexiglass. You can see it in my Trailer Profile.

I was lucky to find windows from someone who replaced all theirs.

If you looking for one to match the other side, I have one that needs new glass if you are interested.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #63

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveAlive View Post
Looking good!

What's the story with the window?

I had the window missing that side when I got my Boler. The PO had removed it and put in framing for a window a/c, then covered with plexiglass. You can see it in my Trailer Profile.

I was lucky to find windows from someone who replaced all theirs.

If you looking for one to match the other side, I have one that needs new glass if you are interested.
Clive,

Same thing happened with ours, the previous owner removed the window to put in an air conditioner. Who knows what they did with the window.

I would be happy to pay you for your window. Is it a Jalousie? How much are you asking for it? Thanks so much, Clive!!!

--Sam
Old 03-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #64

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam and Jess View Post
Clive,

Same thing happened with ours, the previous owner removed the window to put in an air conditioner. Who knows what they did with the window.

I would be happy to pay you for your window. Is it a Jalousie? How much are you asking for it? Thanks so much, Clive!!!

--Sam
Sam,

Yes, it is a jalousie. I will try and find pics of it and will send you a PM.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #65

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
You mentioned sacrificing part of your closet for air condt. how are you planning on doing that? I have asimilar situation, just picking your brain. h.mike
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #66

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.mike View Post
You mentioned sacrificing part of your closet for air condt. how are you planning on doing that? I have asimilar situation, just picking your brain. h.mike
I have found several A/C window units which are pretty small (5000BTU) that fit inside the closet. I am planning on building a little shelf which will sit directly on the wheel well and then sealing the "hot" side of the A/C unit up from the inside. I will then place a large vent at the base of the closet on the exterior side for fresh air circulation. I am hoping it will work... time will tell. --Sam
Old 05-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #67

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
looks good Sam&Jess! what degree arm angle did you get, on the axle?
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #68

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
Air con help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam and Jess View Post
I have found several A/C window units which are pretty small (5000BTU) that fit inside the closet. I am planning on building a little shelf which will sit directly on the wheel well and then sealing the "hot" side of the A/C unit up from the inside. I will then place a large vent at the base of the closet on the exterior side for fresh air circulation. I am hoping it will work... time will tell. --Sam
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll file it for when I'm ready. I followed each photo in your build, great undertaking. hope I can do as well. h.mike
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #69

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
looks good Sam&Jess! what degree arm angle did you get, on the axle?
Thanks Luke,

You know, I am not real sure. I just had Paul Neumeister send us the standard Boler axle, so I assume it is the stock angle. I am sure you could call Paul to find out what angle he orders. He was great to work with and the axle fit perfectly.

--Sam
Old 05-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #70

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Can I ask where you found the wheels and what name brand are they???, I've been using 14" Ford Ranger Aluminum wheels but they've got tougher and tougher to find....
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #71

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
Can I ask where you found the wheels and what name brand are they???, I've been using 14" Ford Ranger Aluminum wheels but they've got tougher and tougher to find....
Hey Randy,

I found them on Craigslist. They are Ansen wheels (not actual Ansen, but Ansen style). I believe these came off an old Pinto or something like that. I think they are 6 or 7 inches wide, which is pretty wide for a Boler, but they fit (barely). They do take shank lug nuts, so if you find some make sure you get the Shank lug as well. --Sam
Old 06-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #72

Kansas
Just a quick pic or two for an update.

More to come soon.

--Sam
Old 06-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #73

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Yeah!!!!!!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #74

Kansas
I need to update this thread to give myself a prod to get back to work!

So, this summer hasn't gone as planned. In June, we were working several hours a day on the Boler, meeting our (aggressive) timeline to complete the reno for a trip in July. Then, in the span of 4 weeks, Sam's mother was diagnosed with cancer (3rd time in 2 years), declined treatment, went downhill rapidly, and passed away.

After the funeral was over, and arrangements were made for selling the house and estate items next month, we realized we suddenly had some downtime matching our original vacation time. Except... the Boler wasn't ready, and we were too exhausted to even consider cobbling it together in a week just to be road-worthy. Our next thought was to keep our South Dakota campsite, but tent it -- ick, as much as we love camping, we weren't feeling like our rugged outdoorsy selves.

So, we thought maybe we'd cut ourselves a break and try out traveling like most people we know -- driving to a touristy place not too far away, staying in a hotel, eating every meal in a restaurant. Chicago's museums and aquarium (for the kids), and IKEA (for us) sounded particularly appealing. But after doing the math on that budget, we joked that we might as well fly off to an all-inclusive Caribbean resort for that amount of cash.

So we did just that!

Now -- BACK TO WORK. I left off on the last step of the Boler's "$50 paint job". Just a hint: it's only a $50 project if you happen to own a sandpaper warehouse.

-- Jess
Old 08-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #75

Registry
So sorry to hear about Sam's mother. But glad you took a nice trip!

Darn, I guess this means you can't come to the Weston Bend Meet Up this weekend???? Sure would love to meet you!

Vickie
Old 08-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #76

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
So sorry to hear about Sam's mother. But glad you took a nice trip!

Darn, I guess this means you can't come to the Weston Bend Meet Up this weekend???? Sure would love to meet you!

Vickie

Thanks Vickie. Rereading my post above, it sounds a bit flippant, but it truly has been a rough couple of months... except for that trip, of course.

We're now even more excited to get back to camping and are shooting for a fully reno'd trailer by the end of September.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #77

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
I don't think (and I can't speak for Vickie yet I am sure she feels the same) that it sounded flippant at all - sorry for your loss.
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #78

Registry
Not flippant at all, Jess! It is apparent Sam's mother had been through so much in 2 years, she made the decision and you all were there for her. She would want you to go on. You balanced the sad and good of life---that's all we can do.

Take Care!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:35 AM   #79

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Caribbean White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
1st thing i would do is paint it a LIGHT color. The color you have now will cook you right out of the trailer.
In boating people call white, Caribbean White, because it is the coolest. White may be boring, but it is coolest.

Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:38 AM   #80

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
Not flippant at all, Jess! It is apparent Sam's mother had been through so much in 2 years, she made the decision and you all were there for her. She would want you to go on. You balanced the sad and good of life---that's all we can do.

Take Care!
Sorry to hear the sad news. And good luck with your project. It looks like it is coming along nicely...
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler