'77 Boler -- total newbies - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #81

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Kansas
a little more progress

We've reached a point in the project where, even if our planned tasks for the weekend can't get done because we lack skills/supplies/patience (a common occurrence) we can still find plenty of things to do to fill the day.

We've also reached a point where the novelty of all this work is wearing down and we're just ready to get camping already! I've developed a new admiration for untouched vintage trailers, and got a little nostalgic about the previous condition of ours. Maybe we should have done a light remodel instead of a full reno?

Um, no. I'm right back on board with the whole project when I dig around the garage for an old piece of ensolite and get to see our before/after:

Gross!

Yep, even if the only thing we accomplish is cleaning the heck out of everything and slapping on a fresh coat of paint, the after is definitely shaping up to be worth the work. And boy, is it clean right now:

Water tank installation is next, then we'll put the modules back in and have a chance to do some fun stuff – arranging the hook-ups, plumbing, vents, lights, and audio/visual gadgets – before we can no longer avoid the electrical wiring. We're now toying with the idea of taking it to someone who actually knows what they're doing. We'll see.

I need to post later on the lessons learned from our exterior paint endeavor, but there are some glimpses of the final coat in our Flickr photos linked below.

-- Jess
Sam and Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #82

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Sorry to hear about your tough year.

I looked through all your pictures and they brought back many memories of doing my Boler. I stripped mine too. I remember all the scrubbing, painting and the thought of "what the heck did I get into?". Once you get it to camping stage, it doesn't have to be "done", take it out and you will love the sense of accomplishment!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #83

Kansas
Thanks Lizbeth -- I've admired your Boler for awhile! We're definitely separating our list into do now (cushions, running lights, etc.) and do between camping trips (air conditioning, awning). Even more projects might still get demoted yet
Old 11-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #84

Kansas
Stop the presses – we actually went camping!

I put a bunch of photos on our Flickr page, but long story short, we were bullied into getting the trailer just tow-worthy enough to join my dad on a family camping weekend before his favorite local loop closed for the winter. Forget plumbing and electricity, we don't even have doors on our cabinets right now! Once I got over the embarrassment of hauling our incomplete little abode out into the world and the frustration of having to drive back home for the cooler full of food left on our garage floor (!), it was a ton of fun.

Anyone else out there who's mid-restoration, I highly recommend getting the running lights and cushions in order, and just getting out there. Very motivating.

I want to go again right NOW.

-- Jess
Old 11-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #85

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I'm so proud of you for just getting out there! Looks like a good time was had by all. Now maybe there will be motivation to move on with the rehab (says she who has two trailer projects stalled in the driveway).

Good luck to your mom with the BB puppy from another (retired) adoption counselor.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #86

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you Jess! Made a memory, bet it's the last time you forget the cooler ... add that to the checklist

Thanks for sharing the picture too
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #87

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Having done several (car) resto's, I know the feeling of "why did I ever start this" and "it's never going to be done"!
Getting out there in it will help you finish it up!
Congrats on your maiden voyage!
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #88

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Your shelter looks like one I was looking at from REI.

Do you like it? Would the one side possibly clear the door to the trailer?

Thanks, Nancy
Nancy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #89

Kansas
Yep, it's the REI Alcove.

The peaked sides are just barely tall enough to clear the top of our Boler's door (which runs a little high with the new axle and wheels) if on a level site. It's only a temporary awning solution for us (already had it for car camping), but we'll still get use out of it because it's pretty easy to put up and move around a campsite. The optional wind walls have been nice for rain, extra shade, and temporary privacy and the whole thing (once tied down) held up to serious beach winds in Florida last year.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #90

Kansas
spring fever

Oh bummer, the Boler did not magically fix itself up over the winter after all:

I'm not proud we let our progress stall, but, to be fair, I'm really stretching my multitasking skills right now & Sam has been preoccupied with our toy car, so the Boler isn't the only thing that's slipped (you should see our kitchen right now!). All the more reason to put in a couple of solid weekends and get our escape pod ready to run away from home at the drop of a hat.

On the bright side, after opening it up (for the first time since November) we were shocked that it was perfectly dry inside. What a rarity to have done something right.

And, after all our electrical questions, we're going to tow it to a pro to get the converter, 30amp hook-up, and battery link installed right for piece of mind. Seems worth it.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #91

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
And so much less trouble for you!
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #92

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1978 13' Scamp
California
I've really enjoyed reading this post! We are a family of 4 with a "MULTITUDE" of projects going on... they don't seem to stop! We are not doing an overhaul on our newly purchased '87 Scamp. My goal is to just get it ready enough to go camping....and GO! But it's really fun to read and hear all of the adventures, and I'm a bit jealous to see the depth at which owners work to clean up their campers. I'm so glad I found this site!
morbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #93

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbank View Post
My goal is to just get it ready enough to go camping....and GO!
That's the ticket

And, you'll take pictures and share with the rest of us won't you
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler