'77 Boler -- total newbies - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #1

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Kansas
'77 Boler -- total newbies

Howdy all, just a little intro here:

We are completely new at this, but gung-ho to get started after deciding we NEEDED a 13' fiberglass trailer about 12 days ago, and then impatiently stalking Craiglook for a few days. We were thrilled (irrationally so) to bring home a '77 Boler last weekend.

Before we can take it on the road with our two kids, we're planning a pretty big overhaul to improve its functionality, safety, and, let's face it, looks. With just the initial list of projects including a new axle, replacing a missing window, filling a ceiling cut-out, painting, painting, painting, and adding AC (and with more ambition than skill), this should be interesting. Phase 1 is pretty tame so far: scrubbing the Ensolite in hopes it can be saved and removing everything possible to prep for what's to come.

I've started a blog so that friends and family (who think we're more than a little crazy) and anyone else who's interested in our bumbling progress can follow along: SuperBoler

And I'm not the most forum-savvy, so in case I have trouble with the pics, ALL of our photos can be found on flickr: Flickr: SuperBoler's Photostream

FiberglassRV.com has already been invaluable to us, and I'm sure we'll be back soon with more specific questions that no one has ever asked before (ha!)

-- Jess (and Sam)

Sam and Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Welcome to the Party! I saw that on craigs as well looked like it had potential, good to see it go to a home that wants it! Looks like you are diving right in!!

I look forward to following your progress.
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
newbies

Welcome Sam and Jess Congratulations on what looks to be a basically sound little Boler. With that as a starting point you will be able to craft a neat trailer and travel experience for your family. I look forward to following your progress. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
1st thing i would do is paint it a LIGHT color. The color you have now will cook you right out of the trailer.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #5

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
1st thing i would do is paint it a LIGHT color. The color you have now will cook you right out of the trailer.
You got that right Kevin. It is not on the top of the list, but it is near it. I think some turkey hunters had it at one point so they covered the yellow over dark yellow with the brown. You know, camouflage-ish.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:33 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Have a great time! You will never regret getting a fiberglass "house on wheels" for your family. Good luck with the rehab!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Welcome! And... welcome to the addiction

I saw that on Craigslist too, and also thought it had good potential. Plus, I'm a sucker for the "mod" colored late-70s Bolers.

Great to see the comments on your Flickr photos - that always makes them more fun to look at.

Whee!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam and Jess View Post
Howdy all, just a little intro here:

We are completely new at this, but gung-ho to get started after deciding we NEEDED a 13' fiberglass trailer about 12 days ago, and then impatiently stalking Craiglook for a few days. We were thrilled (irrationally so) to bring home a '77 Boler last weekend.

12 days ago? That is all you searched for? You luck Ducks! Many people search for months and months. Great Find! Congrats! I know they say dark trailers are hard to handle in the sun, but a white one is nooooooooooooo cool refuge! So I say if you can live with the dark, keep it, get out there camping! Enjoy it!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:47 AM   #9

Kansas
Thanks Robin, we know we lucked out and had planned on a much longer search. We actually called on this trailer the FIRST day of our internet hunt, but had to put off making the deal until the next weekend when we could borrow a capable vehicle (that's right -- we don't even have a tow vehicle yet!) It was a 3-hour drive away, but that seems a small price to pay.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Congrats! Please post progress pix. Looks better already with the cleaning.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Thanks Robin, we know we lucked out and had planned on a much longer search. We actually called on this trailer the FIRST day of our internet hunt, but had to put off making the deal until the next weekend when we could borrow a capable vehicle (that's right -- we don't even have a tow vehicle yet!) It was a 3-hour drive away, but that seems a small price to pay.

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #12

Name: Todd
California
This things brings the funk! I would keep the color, but that's just me. Love the coffee brown with orange logo and then orange interior.....it screams 60's/70's and I think that makes it super unique to anything I've seen on the road....
Nor_Cal_Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #13

Quote:
It was a 3-hour drive away, but that seems a small price to pay.
That's not too bad at all. I went all the way to Winnipeg for mine (30 hours each way).

All part of the fun though
Old 08-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #14

Kansas
So I have determined the axle is probably shot. The left side is about 1.5 inches lower than the right side. I have looked over the frame pretty well but do not see any signs of damage or cracks, so I am going to blame it on the axle. I was pleasantly surprised the bearings had fresh grease in them! Routine maintenance = long life.

I think Jess and I have decided to remove the body from the frame and clean up the frame when we swap the axle. I believe I could just swap the axle pretty easily, but I figure it would just be easier to do both at the same time. I am hoping we can get this done in the next month or two, before it gets too cold.

Anybody have the exact measurements for a 1977 Boler 1300? I am not doing any thing goofy, just want a direct replacement. Anybody know where to get one? I have reviewed the axle suppliers on the Helpful-Links tab, but it appears most of those links are wholesalers.

Further, we have electric brakes on now, but one of the many previous owners chopped the brake wires right at the hub. Does anyone have a schematic for those wires? I am about a (four banana) mechanic, but when it comes to electricity, I am a real mouth breathing moron.

I will do some searching of the forums in the meantime.

I have purchased a set of Ansen (5 slot "Mag wheels") wheels from a guy on Craigslist, but he has somewhat disappeared since he received my paypal payment. I will give him a couple of more days before I get ugly.

Jess is out there slaving right now, but I am sure she will have more later.

-Sam
Old 08-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #15

Trailer: 1977 Boler (Orange Sunrise 'Clementine')
Registry
I saw that on the Fiberglass RV sale website, I think. I am wondering if it is a formerly orange Boler, like ours. Good luck with all the projects!
Amy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:59 AM   #16

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy M View Post
I saw that on the Fiberglass RV sale website, I think. I am wondering if it is a formerly orange Boler, like ours. Good luck with all the projects!

Amy,

Yes, I believe the previous owners did post something on this site. They were a nice couple. They gave me a watermelon and some tomatoes from their garden with the sale. And the gentleman would not allow me to leave until he fixed the running lights (which were working the evening prior to the sale). Nice folk.

It was yellow-ish and orange-ish two tone. Thanks for the luck. -Sam
Old 08-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #17

I think their Boler might have been the "corn" yellow variation when new. Gotta love those late 70s crazy Boler colors

Click image for larger version

Name:	boler yellow 1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	30855

Name:	boler yellow 17.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	30858

Name:	boler yellow 16.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	30856

Name:	boler yellow 11.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	30859

Can you imagine what one of these looked like rolling off the factory floor, Bright Orange and shiny? Shoot, Amy, your Clementine is subtle in comparison

Name:	orange1976doorside.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	30857

Name:	orange tt kitchen.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	30860
Old 08-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #18

Kansas
yep, the top yellow orange/gold "corn" color is certainly it. I wish we had that lower orange/poppy scheme though -- I'd absolutely keep that one. I can see the fun in restoring the 70s colors in all their glory, but our goal is a bit more subtle. I'll be a little sad to paint over our retro colors, but only just a little
-- Jess
Old 08-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #19

Kansas
Well, I called Paul Neumeister today. He quoted me $425 for a new axle with brakes. Shipping back to the U.S. is another $175. Ouch. I then called Croft (?) trailers, who have a shop here in town. They wanted me to bring the trailer to them so they could measure it and then order the axle. This seems like a real pain, so I figure I will just order from Paul in the next month or so.

We will have pics of the progress up tomorrow. Other than the closet, some wires and some Ensolite we basically have an empty shell.

I can't wait to re-wire this thing. I get great pleasure in making things neat and tidy. One project at a time.

-Sam
Old 08-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #20

It's going to be great fun to watch your progress. We can "tidy up" vicariously

Tags
boler