'86 Cadet - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-24-2006, 05:26 PM   #15

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
...I respectfully disagree on this point. All the travel trailers I have had came factory equipped with the negative pole of the trailer battery grounded to the frame. All the trailers also charged the trailer battery using the tow vehicle's alternator...
Well, we all learn something every day, if we are lucky...
My Boler doesn't have the DC system connected to the frame, and my understanding of the typical trailer situation is from the discussions in this forum in connection with both running lights and generators from other members; however, with more members comes more information, and I appreciate the correction.

When connected to the tow vehicle, the trailer and tug frames will be somewhat connected electrically through the ball and coupler, but this is clearly not a connection which we want to depend on, so the charging current from the tow vehicle's alternator should still be returning by the negative (normally white) wire (even though the frame ground would work as well). If power is coming into the trailer from somewhere else, it is normally as AC, and the tug is not hooked up, so the grounding situation is quite different.

I'm planning to leave my Boler as-is (AC protective ground to frame, DC isolated from frame), but I don't have any argument with an alternate design - just noting what was mentioned in the past.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:25 AM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Cadet
Flying Monkeys indeed, Gina!

Hi! I have a little 13' Cadet too, so I appreciate your congratulations. Thanks, but now I need info!!!! Who made my "Lil Darlin'?" How do I get Manufacturer info on my baby? Parts? Specs? Any help or info GRATEFULLY accepted! She's a sweetheart--and sooo well kept. Brought her home to Columbus, OH from Lafontaine, ON

Talk to me people,
Babs

Quote:
A Cadet! Lucky you! Congrats.. pics pics pics!

I would, or have someone else if you are not familiar with it, go thru the wiring head to toe. I bought a car once that had this exact problem. The red lead was actually the negative lead and black the positive, because someone down the owner tree got it wrong. It didn't make any difference, the battery is colorblind, but it sure caused some confusion. Everything was connected correctly for the electrical path, but the colors were inversed.

I had it gone thru completely because if someone did something that bonehead, you wondered what was back in the chain that was wierd. Oddly enough, all was correct.

Did the former owner say why it was like that? Maybe thats the way they do it in Poland?

Old 06-27-2006, 11:32 AM   #17

Trailer: Captain
Hi Gina, this trailer is still being made but under a different name. I can send you a link to a dealer site ( in dutch) after work tonight
Martin
Old 06-27-2006, 02:11 PM   #18

Name: Benita
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Georgia
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
Flying Monkeys indeed, Gina!

Hi! I have a little 13' Cadet too, so I appreciate your congratulations. Thanks, but now I need info!!!! Who made my "Lil Darlin'?" How do I get Manufacturer info on my baby? Parts? Specs? Any help or info GRATEFULLY accepted! She's a sweetheart--and sooo well kept. Brought her home to Columbus, OH from Lafontaine, ON

Talk to me people,
Babs
The Cadet is a Polish import to Canada. It is actually a Predoml trailer. Try clicking on the "Search" button at the top of the forum and entering your keywords. Here is one search result using the keyword "Polish".

Predom/Cadet/Captain Search
Old 06-27-2006, 06:22 PM   #19

Trailer:
This German site has current (English) info on the trailer: Mini-Caravan. You need to select the N-126E, N-126ET or N-126D models to get the same bodyshell as the Cadet.

Andrew
Old 06-28-2006, 01:45 PM   #20

Trailer: Cadet
Thanks for the links I see that mine is model N-126D.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:21 PM   #21

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
What nice trailers! What the heck is that tow vehicle on the website?
Old 06-28-2006, 04:45 PM   #22

Georgia
Its called a Smart Car. They have them in Europe and Mexico. I'm not sure where else. Very fuel efficient and no bigger than a golf cart. The only one I've seen in the US was in the long term parking lot at the Atlanta airport. It was a Mercedes with Mexico plates on it.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:49 PM   #23

Georgia
I just read that Mercedes is going to begin selling Smart Cars in the US. I plan to own one if they don't jack the price up.

Smart Cars to be marketed in US.
Attached Thumbnails
smcar_1.jpg  
Old 06-28-2006, 05:49 PM   #24

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Thanks Benita, very interesting.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:39 PM   #25

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
The Smart is also available in Canada (Smart Canada website), since about the same time as the introduction in Mexico. We get only one engine version (although other countries usually get a choice), the 799 cc 3-cylinder CDI turbo diesel. Although they are still considered unusual, and do stand out in traffic, I routinely see them daily in Edmonton. They are generally sold by Mercedes dealers, but have their own brand identity, much like Minis with BMW. Often, they are used for their promotional value.

According to the U.S. Smart website, the U.S. will be getting the next generation of the fortwo, which is the (one and only) model we are getting here.

I have sat in an fairly closely examined a Smart fortwo, and have followed news of them for years. In my opinion, as sold in Canada, this is two-thirds of a car, with half an engine, priced like a whole car. They may suit some specific users well, but I can't see paying the asking price for one, which starts at more than (for instance) a base Toyota Yaris and about the same as a base Honda Civic.

I think any image of a Smart towing a travel trailer is likely a joke or marketing gimmick, although a teardrop or tent trailer sized for a motorcycle might be an interesting match. I am only guessing, since the Smart Canada website does not show any tow capacity rating, but a Cadet (for instance) would likely be way too much for a Smart fortwo; while it has a short rear overhang and rear-wheel-drive in its favour, it has a very short wheelbase and little power, and is marginally stable even by itself.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:50 PM   #26

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I have actually seen these little cars in use in Mexico. They don't look very tow worthy.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:25 AM   #27

Georgia
I wouldn't consider a Smart Car for a tow vehicle. I will always probably maintain something beat up, paid for with low insurance rates and maintained for that. I'm planning for daily commuting in metro-Atlanta - surface streets only.

There are, however, tow applications for the Smart Car. Smart Car Accessories
Attached Thumbnails
cabrio.jpg  
Old 06-29-2006, 01:06 PM   #28

Trailer:
At the risk of degrading this forum with pictures of stickies, here is a nice teardrop (with aluminum frame) behind a Smart:

Click image for larger version

Name:	smart1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	3740

If you think a Smart forTwo is small, you need to see a Smart Roadster - that's the same trailer:

Name:	smart2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	3741

And here is a Smart towing a Weferlinger - note that the combination nearly fits in a single parking bay! To give some scale, the body of the Weferlinger is 79" long - it's a double bed on wheels.

Name:	weferlinger2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	3742

Andrew

Tags
cadet