A Better DIY Adapter to Blow-out Water Lines - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
A Better DIY Adapter to Blow-out Water Lines

The trick to successfully blowing our water line to winterize your trailer is low air pressure but lots of volume. The tire chuck adapters are not only a PITA to use but they are very restrictive, often not providing the air volume required to properly blow the water from the lines.
I have documented my solution pictured below which is both convenient to use, not restrictive and easy to build. I have been using this adapter on 3 trailer for the past 2 years and it works great.

Details of building it are on my blog.
Click Here For the Blog

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Looks really good Ian. Mine was homemade also, but just a little simpler. I have to disconnect the air rather than turn a valve.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The quick disconnect air line fitting is definitely the way to go but why the shutoff valve?

Jack
Old 11-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #4

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 16ft, Layout 4
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
The quick disconnect air line fitting is definitely the way to go but why the shutoff valve?

Jack
From the link:
"The ball valve allows you to turn the pressure on and off as required without the need to disconnect the air line."
DrewSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #5

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 17' Big Foot
British Columbia
air line

where do you attach it? Looks to me the out hose connector.
I would think that you would have to turn down the air reg. Most shops or homes use about 90-125psi. What psi should be used?
Would the hot water tank drain plug be removed or just the taps?
If this has been talked about, can some one direct me to the thread.
Thank you.
Jeff T H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #6

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 17' Big Foot
British Columbia
Ok it was in the blog
Jeff T H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Ian’s device is pretty nice, especially if it was fabricated from on-hand parts.

Since we’re sharing, I use the blow out hose end piece that Camping World offers for about $8 (Blow Out Hose - Four Corners TS-N19 - Winterizing - Camping World). I like having a “soft” connection at the trailer fitting, mostly because the air hose reel I have in the center of the garage just barely stretches out to the trailer fitting without dragging out another hose extension.

If I wanted an on/off valve, I’d probably spring for the Harbor Fright “regulator” (http://www.harborfreight.com/brass-air-inline-regulator-68220.html) about $4. Although I view it as more of an on/off valve than a regulator. Or I might spend about $10 and splice in this regulator (http://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-mini-air-regulator-with-gauge-68226.html) (one of the better rated mini regulators they offer) to the Camping World hose piece.

Sort of the whole "same thing only different" theory.

Given my experiences with HF, I don't recommend their products, but I do use them as throw away parts. (I use them a lot at the boat since each year it seems that at least one tool goes in the drink and it's not a great loss when it's HF.)
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote