A/C temp drop - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #1

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
A/C temp drop

Does anybody know the average temp drop of an rv a/c? I believe mine is still the original from '84, wondering if it needs to be charged, or if its as good as it gets.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I know the temp drop figures for my home a/c & my TV's a/c, but not that on RV's. I'd bet it's available in a Google search though.

That said:

The bad news.... Hope it doesn't need recharging, this isn't like adding a freon shot to your TV's underhood system

Most RV a/c units were not designed to be recharged and don't have the necessary fittings to do so. This means that it has to come off the roof, new fittings soldered in, the unit recharged and then reinstalled. When a member of another site I am on had this done the bill was close to $400. And remember, everything else in the a/c unit, fan motor, electronics, relays etc, is still 30 years old.

The good news: For not much more you can buy a new unit and ferget about it for another 30 years (maybe...)

And, as an alternative: After 30 some years the evaporator and condenser may just be covered with oxidation and general crud and may respond to a good cleaning. There are special sprays available through a/c supply sources that do a fair job of this.

And Kansas in August without A/C??? Ouch.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I was always told about 20 degree differential from outside, but more importantly dehumidification makes that difference feel even better.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Camping in July the inside temp of my Casita 17' was at 105 degrees. Turned on the AC and in about 1 HR the temp was down to 68 degrees. We had Ice cream and strawberries in the trailer and had to go outside to warm up.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
A/C temp differential

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I was always told about 20 degree differential from outside, but more importantly dehumidification makes that difference feel even better.
I think that you will want at least 20 degrees difference between the inside temp of the R/V and the output of the A/C unit.

That's the way house units are measured, Air supply vs. air return temp.

If it was 100 degrees outside, an outlet temp of 80 wouldn't be enough to cool your RV.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #6

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
It could need cleaned, I haven't taken the cover off. It works, but not as well as I would like, I have t measure the temp drop yet. I might be wanting too much out of an ac from '84, though.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote