A question of hardness - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
A question of hardness

I am in the process of bolting my new axle onto my Boler frame. This seems like such a simple question. What nuts and bolts do I use? The old bolts are a little rusted, but they are in OK shape. I COULD use some anti-seize on them and recycle them. That said, they are rusting and probably of similar vintage to the axle I'm retiring. I could also go into a store like Home Depot or Canadian Tire and match the old nuts and bolts as close as possible. Will the Home Depot version have enough hardness to withstand the forces of this application? Home Depot sells nuts and bolts of all shapes and sizes, but they say nothing about hardness. *sigh* It seems like such a simple question. What should I do? Can anyone offer any wisdom on this matter?

Derek

PS If you followed the old thread, you know that the first axle was 1/4 inch too small. They replaced it at their cost and it appears that this one is the correct size. I'm just getting started on installing it, but we will see what happens from here.
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You should use grade 8 bolts for your axle. They are in a separate section at the big box stores and are more expensive. The cheapest place to buy them that I have found, is Tractor Supply, where they are sold by the pound.

If the old bolts just have surface rust you can probably reuse them.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #3

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Go with Thomas G's suggestion.
Don't be tempted by stainless as I saw someone do last summer trying to avoid rust.
NEVER use stainless in a high stress usage as they will eventually fail.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #4

Trailer: Helite
And use the BLUE thread lock fluid. Blue because you can get the nut off someday in the future. Red if you never want it to be removed. Use the thread lock even if you use a lock washer.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Most bolts commonly sold are grade 5 hardness, IIRC. Grade 8 is the next step up. You can usually tell the grade by the number of raised lines radiating outward on the hex cap (top of the bolt). But I have forgotten how many lines mean which grade... anyone else know this?

PS-- after seeing the topic name, I'm glad this thread isn't x rated.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Most bolts commonly sold are grade 5 hardness, IIRC. Grade 8 is the next step up. You can usually tell the grade by the number of raised lines radiating outward on the hex cap (top of the bolt). But I have forgotten how many lines mean which grade... anyone else know this?

PS-- after seeing the topic name, I'm glad this thread isn't x rated.
I believe that the common bolts sold are not even grade 5.

Here is a reference to the head markings. http://thermosealinc.com/THERMO_RESO..._Cross_Ref.pdf
Old 02-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #7

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
Don't be tempted by stainless as I saw someone do last summer trying to avoid rust.
Not to mention that if you don't use anti seize with SS nuts you will likely never get them off without breaking or cutting. Sometimes what you think is better can be a lot worse.
Michael J
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Bill is quite correct about stainless steel. Depending on the alloy, I read it's about grade 2.

I recently bought my self a new torque wrench. While researching, I ran across an article that stated unless specified, applying grease, oil, thread lock, or anti seize all change the torque number. For those interested here is the torque article.
Torque wrench buyers guide

Finally, grade 8 SAE is equivalent to grade 10.9 metric as I recall.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I agree with all that has been said. Any suspension bolt must be Grade 8,
Also torque the bolt to the correct specifications, don't guess, attached is a Torque Chart for reference
Bolt Torque Chart
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #10

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
I get your point, but that's somewhat inaccurate. Plain hardware store stainless fasteners, yes. I've used stainless fasteners that would make a grade 10 bolt look like nothing. You wouldn't want to pay for them, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art VanDelay View Post
And use the BLUE thread lock fluid. Blue because you can get the nut off someday in the future. Red if you never want it to be removed. Use the thread lock even if you use a lock washer.
Properly tightened, not necessary at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
I agree with all that has been said. Any suspension bolt must be Grade 8,
Also torque the bolt to the correct specifications, don't guess, attached is a Torque Chart for reference
Bolt Torque Chart
Grade 8 won't hurt, and I probably would use it, but it wouldn't have to be, necessarily. There are many more factors than that. Fact is, a few decent size grade 5 bolts will have a yield strength much higher than most axles.

The bigger problem is chinese "grade 5,8 hardware", often isn't. tests have had some of them failing before U.S. grade 2 hardware. There are also good overseas suppliers, but buyer beware. Tractor supply has quality hardware, Horrible Fright has weak hardware.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Take the old "slightly rusty" bolts and chuck them. They have been stressed for almost 40 years and the risk of using them to save a few $$$ is a bad investment!!!!! I suggest going to a "Real" hardware supply house and getting real grade-8 bolts (Meaning not Chinese Junque), your trailer is worth the investment.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #12
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Bolt Torque Chart
Great site, thank you. Raz
Old 02-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #13

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
try any local supplier like Northfast, Spaenaur, Rastall, they will have the bolts you need, and it won't be that expensive. I myself tend to use Nylock nuts, the ones with the little nylon insert that squeezes on the thread, that and a lock washer, and torque to spec, then forget about it, its done

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #14

Trailer: Compact Jr
Don't use stainless nuts with stainless bolts. I was amazed at how fast and firm they can seize. I spun a stainless nut by hand onto a stainless bolt once to check something, and the darn thing froze solid. I couldn't get it loose, even with a wrench, and eventually ended up throwing the bolt/nut away. It was quite surprising.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Grade 5 has three lines on the head.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #16
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hilby View Post
Don't use stainless nuts with stainless bolts. I was amazed at how fast and firm they can seize. I spun a stainless nut by hand onto a stainless bolt once to check something, and the darn thing froze solid. I couldn't get it loose, even with a wrench, and eventually ended up throwing the bolt/nut away. It was quite surprising.
Interesting, galling is usually associated with heat and tightening too tight. Perhaps they were different alloys? I have never had an issue and tend to use stainless a lot for low load applications. Raz
Old 02-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #17

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have read that how fast you spin the nut affects galling. Slower is better. What I was reading referred to the use of power tools, so may not apply here. A grain of sand can also cause galling.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #18

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Slower speed, boelube, or anti-seize. If they don't want to go together by hand, don't force it. If the threads are a bit off and you try to make it work, they will gall easily. I use a lot of stainless, and have very few problems. I've put thousands of them in (or out) in a single day at work.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #19

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you want stainless bolts to stay stainless you MUST use SS nuts. SS Bolts will quickly rust when mated with non-stainless nuts, washers etc. I can't say that I have ever had ss fasteners sieze though.... I don't think that's a common problem, but there is always anti-sieze compound to use if there is any concern.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote