About ST Tires - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We've towed lots of miles over the last 6 years on Goodyear Marathons and have yet to have a problem. Unlike many trailer's ours is only parked for a couple of months during the summer and than it's in a relatively mild NH climate.

We are also not people who push their tires to their limits, driving at 62 mpg or less, not traveling in the heat of the day and keeping them at max cold pressure.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We've towed lots of miles over the last 6 years on Goodyear Marathons and have yet to have a problem. Unlike many trailer's ours is only parked for a couple of months during the summer and than it's in a relatively mild NH climate.

We are also not people who push their tires to their limits, driving at 62 mpg or less, not traveling in the heat of the day and keeping them at max cold pressure.

WOW I wish I could drive at 62 mpg.

I know you meant 62 mph.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #23

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I'm definately at the lower end of 62 mpg
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #24

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
In my earlier days I worked for two major tire companies. By far we had a much higher failure/return rate with the ST tires than P or truck tires.

Wondering if folks followed the tire care guidelines as outlined in the article if the tires would stand up better???
ST tires are probably not primarily used for recreational trailers but for utility trailers for people in business. Those ST tires are no doubt abused greatly and taken to construction sites where they would encounter all kinds of things to cause failure. That's my guess.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #25
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
ST tires are probably not primarily used for recreational trailers but for utility trailers for people in business. Those ST tires are no doubt abused greatly and taken to construction sites where they would encounter all kinds of things to cause failure. That's my guess.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #26

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
All I've had from the dump and those cases are slow leaks. Almost all of my tire problems are total blowouts in the highway, in some cases with pressure checked less than ten minutes before. I've had no issues on my camper or small trailer. My car trailer eats them like candy. I just assume it'll cost me a tire every trip.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #27
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A good article but, like others I've read, it leaves me with questions. It is stated that ST tires have a life expectancy of between 3-5 years but it doesn't specify when the clock starts; the day of manufacture or the day you put the tire into service. If it is the day of manufacture then tires should come with a sell by date. If it's when the tire is put in service then how long between then and the date of manufacture is too long? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #28

Name: David
Trailer: 2008 OutBack 13ft., Camp Inn 560
Illinois
tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Vehicle tires will have the tread worn and will be replaced usually in less than 5 years. Trailer tires will show little if any tread wear in the same length of time. I replaced mine after 5 years and they looked new. Too many people judge the health of a tire by the amount of tread left.
We bought a 2008 Out Back recently. With original GoodYear Marathon tires. They had better than 80% tread left. Both tires were made in 2008. I had both replaced with Carlisle yesterday. The garage said they do usually balance trailer tires. I had them do it any way.
David O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:52 PM   #29

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
A good article but, like others I've read, it leaves me with questions. It is stated that ST tires have a life expectancy of between 3-5 years but it doesn't specify when the clock starts; the day of manufacture or the day you put the tire into service. If it is the day of manufacture then tires should come with a sell by date. If it's when the tire is put in service then how long between then and the date of manufacture is too long? Raz
The clock starts at the born on date.

This is why it is imperative to discuss this issue at the tire shop when purchasing. Insist on fresh new stock. I would personally not wish to purchase tires, at full price, if the born on date was already a year or so old. That's potentially 20% of the life of the tire. Just something to deal with when you purchase trailer tires.

With a fiberglass body surrounding that tire, I wouldn't wish to have one shred and start slappng the FG and breaking off chunks.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:25 PM   #30

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David O. View Post
We bought a 2008 Out Back recently. With original GoodYear Marathon tires. They had better than 80% tread left. Both tires were made in 2008. I had both replaced with Carlisle yesterday. The garage said they do usually balance trailer tires. I had them do it any way.
Its funny for many years the CY Marathons where consider to be the go to ST tire, seemed to last and few blowouts but in recent years they have greatly fallen out of favour on many different RV forums... lots of not so good stories to be told. Something changed in manufacturing? Hard to say.

As I am having to purchase new tires shortly I have been reading through many many different RV forums on the topic of ST tires and it would seem the Maxxis ST Radial is the brand that has superseded the GY Marathon's as the go to of the ST brands offered.

But still a 4 year life seems to be about what most expect to get out of any ST tire before they feel the increased risk of a blow out and possible damage to the trailer as a result is to high. BUT the 4 year rule really can not be a hard fast rule either as the tires life will be impacted my how much or how little the trailer is left sitting around.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think it matters where you live and how much the tires are exposed to sun and heat.
I finally replaced my tires after almost seven years.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:19 PM   #32
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I went with Hercules brand load range E as I know a few long haul truckers who run the brand. When I looked online for complaints I could hardly find any compared to other brands.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:30 PM   #33

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I went with Hercules brand load range E as I know a few long haul truckers who run the brand. When I looked online for complaints I could hardly find any compared to other brands.
Have to agree with you on the Hercules tires. My long time tire man has sold many and never had a comeback or complaint with them.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:03 AM   #34

Name: David
Trailer: 2008 OutBack 13ft., Camp Inn 560
Illinois
tires

I didn't replace my Goodyear Marathons because of anything I had heard about them, but I guess I didn't do all my homework either. I did not know about the Hercules tires. Load range D or E would have been nice.
How ever I did replace them because the trailer had been sitting for much of it's 8 year life and I believe that may have caused some flat places on the tires also when you feel the texture of the new tires compared to the old, the old rubber felt hard and dry.
If some one has a trailer and it is being used on a regular basis and tread is still good then 8 years maybe would not be an issue. I my case I felt new skin may be a small price to pay considering the circumstances.
New tires fail also, I put brand new Firestone LE's on our Jeep GC and at 3,400 miles got a bubble on one of the sidewalls the size of my fist. They called it sidewall separation.
So one never knows
David O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:29 AM   #35

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I just replaced 21 year old Goodyear Marathons on a stick built fifth wheel I just bought to tide me over for this year, until I can get my 2017 Excape 50. TA later this fall.

This trailer sat under a roof (open on 3 sides) from the day it was bought. I pulled the sun worn tire covers off, and the tires themselves looked brand new. You would not think they were more than a few months old.

Even though I knew it best, it saddened me to have to change out these tires, but I did, as I plan on a lot of road mileage this year. I put ST Carlisle tires on it.

Now, before I head to the Escape rally in Osoyoos next weekend, I guess I better repack the 21 year old bearings with about 400 kms on them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:10 AM   #36

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
What size wheels do you have? Suspect few of us have trailers 17' or under have a large enough wheels to be able to us a the load range E? not to mention the rims/wheels on the trailer are probable not rated anywhere near high enough for the tire pressure a load range E would take - but it would be nice if they were!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:53 AM   #37
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
What size wheels do you have? Suspect few of us have trailers 17' or under have a large enough wheels to be able to us a the load range E? not to mention the rims/wheels on the trailer are probable not rated anywhere near high enough for the tire pressure a load range E would take - but it would be nice if they were!
Casita 17LD with 15 inch tires and the high lift axle. I ran them at 60 psi, same as the old 14s.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #38

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Its funny for many years the CY Marathons where consider to be the go to ST tire, seemed to last and few blowouts but in recent years they have greatly fallen out of favour on many different RV forums... lots of not so good stories to be told. Something changed in manufacturing? Hard to say.

As I am having to purchase new tires shortly I have been reading through many many different RV forums on the topic of ST tires and it would seem the Maxxis ST Radial is the brand that has superseded the GY Marathon's as the go to of the ST brands offered.

But still a 4 year life seems to be about what most expect to get out of any ST tire before they feel the increased risk of a blow out and possible damage to the trailer as a result is to high. BUT the 4 year rule really can not be a hard fast rule either as the tires life will be impacted my how much or how little the trailer is left sitting around.
So who came up with the "4 year rule"?
The tire dealers will mount them up until they are 10 years old. Even a "1 year rule" would not relieve you of the responsibility to maintain and inspect your tires. I have seen some "authorities" recommend 6 years but I would surely become skeptical of someone trying to sell me a set of tires based solely on 48 months from build date.
Low pressure is a much greater concern, at least for the first 6 years or so.
As for brands...
The application is an important factor when choosing brand, size, and load range.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires