AC in Scamp 13'/Electrical, Propane ?'s - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #29

Trailer: 1998 13 ft Scamp
(Why add AC to a S13?) I wouldn't consider going out in 95 degree heat with high humidity and attempting to sleep in it without AC. Different strokes for different folks. Some might not go out in the winter, but that won't stop me!

I realize my post is a little late on this thread. I haven't been on for a long time. But here is what I did to add AC to my 13' Scamp: I bought a 5K window unit for $87. Measurements are appoximately 16"x12" in the window. This is small enough to fit in the opening when the rear sliding window is slid open. Tilting the AC, the top flange (which is part of the unit) goes into the top window channel, then the bottom is tilted back toward the window. 2x4s are added below the AC unit to support it. (the bottom 2x4 has grooves cut to fit down tightly over the flanges of the window frame extrusion. I forgot to mention that one 2x4 was cut on a table saw to fit the bottom of the AC, then attached with screws. This sits on the other 2x4s, then they are all secured together with an inside plate and screws. THis also prevents the unit from being removed from outside. I just did this last week, and tested it on a 1 night camping trip. It works great. Now it's time for some refinements for a better looking installation. Also need to build a good rain deflector.

The beauty of this installation is that I didn't have to do ANY cutting on my Scamp, and also the fact that I can take the AC on the trip and install it in the window in about 5 minutes upon arrival, or if not needed or if no 120v. is available, I'll leave it at home, saving on space and weight.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:46 PM   #30

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Sonny, do you have pictures of your install? That sounds like one of the two options I'm thinking of to AC the Boler. It definately would be easier than cutting a hole in the front of the trailer which is our other option..

Old 06-15-2006, 09:43 PM   #31

Click image for larger version

Name:	110_1086.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	3500
[attachment=4426:attachm
ent]
Click image for larger version

Name:	110_1087.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	3499

OK, the first two show the unit installed. Refer to my previous post for install details. The 3rd pic shows the unit on the bench with the cut 2x4 installed, and shows the top angle trimmed to fit the curve of the window frame. A length of split 1/4 hose is installed over the top edge of the angle. The stack of 2x4s is my first rough install, to test the concept. The design will be refined. The bottom two are screwed together. The bottom one has grooves cut to fit over the aluminum extruded flanges. The last pic show the view from the inside. I left off the cover plate which ties the 2x4s together for better viewing of how it all comes together.

Basically, do what you have to to make the top fit into the channel, build up under the unit to support the weight, secure the whole mess so it won't come out, and add filler on both sides to seal it.

I want to make it clear that this is installed after setting up the trailer at the campsite. It would probably be fine to travel with it installed, but I would want to have a more secure installation if I were to do that. Besides, I'll not be using it when I go to the mountains, or in cooler weather.
Attached Thumbnails
110_1084.JPG   110_1082.JPG  

Old 06-15-2006, 10:00 PM   #32

One other thing. The unit has to tilt out slightly in order for the condensate (water which condenses on the evaporator coil) to drain properly. The mounting instructions for the AC talk about this. If this is not done, you run the risk of getting the water inside the trailer.

When I get my design refined, I'll try to post more pictures. But that might be more than just a few days...
Old 06-16-2006, 12:18 AM   #33

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Thanks for the info Sonny! That's kind of what I had in mind. I like the idea of it being removable for cooler weather camping (and traveling). Hubby still wants to cut a hole in the front of the trailer to mount it.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:28 PM   #34

Quote:
Thanks for the info Sonny! That's kind of what I had in mind. I like the idea of it being removable for cooler weather camping (and traveling). Hubby still wants to cut a hole in the front of the trailer to mount it.
I didn't like the idea of cutting a new hole in mine. Plus, by making it removeable, I'm keeping as light as possible. That's part of the advantage of the 13 footers, being lightweight. I want to be careful not to start increasing the weight too much.

If I were to cut a hole, I would then build a strong framework in the opening, not only to support the AC unit, but to help maintain the strength and rigidity of the trailer shell itself. And if it was mounted on the front side, I would think it could be prone to a leakage problem while driving down the road in rain. I dunno, just thinking out loud.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:20 PM   #35

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I purchased a used 1994 Scamp 13' and the formor owner installed the A/C into 1/2 of the rear window. The unit is wel braced, and there is no sway when going down the road.

Here are a couple of pictures...Oh the unit works well and there are no leaks.

Just another suggestion.
Attached Thumbnails
Window_AC_back_window_view_of_mounting_frame.jpg   Window_AC_larger_brace_to_rear_bumper.jpg  

Old 06-19-2006, 11:23 PM   #36

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Couple more pictures of the interior with the A/c unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Window_AC_inside_view_GE_5200_btu__s_2.jpg   Window_AC_inside_view_GE_5200_btu__s.jpg  

Window_AC_smaller_brace_to_center_band.jpg  
Old 06-20-2006, 04:43 PM   #37

Name: Benita
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Georgia
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
I need to A/C my 13' Scamp too- I can heat it with a candle but cooling it is a different issue all together. I saw this on Ebay and as much as I hate to spend more money than an $80 WalMart air conditioner, I think I am going to save up for something like this!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
[b]A LIGHTWEIGHT, LOW AMP, PORTABLE AC THAT ALSO WORKS AS A HEATER AND A DEHUMIDIFIER - WOW!

I spoke with the manufacturer after seeing your post. The salesperson says he could not certify the petcooler for a 13ft trailer even though he says teardroppers use his unit. He says it might work quite well for Jaye since she is in a cooler climate than I am. He continued saying it would be a risk for a Southerner to use and expect performance consistency. Most of his reservations have to do with unfamiliarity with our trailers. (I gave him the URL and he pulled up the Casita website as we talked.) He said we FGRVers [b]might offer an alternative market for their product. Teardroppers either add a permanent cabinet like the tongue boxes so many have here or they use flexible, portable ducting to operate.

The www.petcool.com website says this will cool a 10x10x5 area. The mftr rep says 5x5x5 is optimum. His reservations have to do with whether the trailer is insulated or not and how many bodies generating heat are inside the unit. He said that he has one solo fiberglass boater who is cooling a boat similar in dimensions to a 13ft RV. He said this client is happy. The boating and teardrop applications work because the unit is not run continuously. Continuous runnning would cause the unit to freeze up and become useless.

My interest has to do with the low cranking amps for the AC. This unit could theoretically be run off a 1000W generator. 380W/13 amps cranking power required with 3.4 running amps. The heater requires 5.5 amps. the lowest setting on the thermostat is 63 degrees. The petcooler is guaranteed to blow cold air. Whether it will cool a trailer is another question. He said the application might work in my 16fter if a I ran a shower curtain across the middle of the trailer to reduce the amount of space being cooled. .

Jaye, at the moment there is an eBay dealer selling off his inventory for $199 a pop.

The salesperson I spoke with is ttwitch@internationalair.com
Old 07-27-2006, 09:19 PM   #38

Name: Bill & Sandra Hanna
Trailer: 19' 2011 Escape
Texas
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
well, will just reply about the ac as thats all the advice i'm able to give as hubby bill handles the technical stuff.
--Our 13' scamp came with a side ac put where the closet used to be. basically they took off the door, added shelves and put n an ac, microwave and tv. handy! we are pretty happy with the arrangement. just wish they'd taken a little time to cut the holes bigger with something othre than a hacksaw! not good looking.
--We just recently had to replace the ac as the thermo went. found a nice goldstar at lowes or home depot. that fit and works nicely. even came with items to attach a tube to it so it drains out the side. We've never experienced ac drainage though, like lots of folks, we wonder where it goes. in Texas, we assume it evaporates before it gets too far out of the tube! ha!
--We dont mind losing the closet. we each have a bag with our clothes, the foldable kind--tshirt and jeans== what else is needed for camping!!! well, ok, maybe even a long skirt and slink top for nite cruising, but I just hang it from the top bunk or top cabinet over the dining. a little spritz with a water atomizer and it's good to go! We get some pretty goggly looks when we 'step out' all lookin' fine! ha!
Old 07-31-2006, 11:22 PM   #39

Name: Jim
Trailer: 76 13 ft Scamp (fits in my Garage...Yeah)
California
Well I hope to have this Burro home real soon..here is a picture of the unit in the side window...it lives there permanantly. The previous owner also has the window to switch back...He used the Burro for desert camping and said they stayed real cool.....
Attached Thumbnails
Burro__001.jpg  
Old 08-03-2006, 12:34 PM   #40

Trailer: Scamp
I installed my a/c where the refrig. was. This area already has vents for the fresh air inlet & hot air out. It was fairly easy to install due to the space & vents.

Don Meyer, Mech Engr.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #41

Trailer: Boler 1980 13 ft
I've become aware that the Scamp 13ft trailer has an option of having an roof top A/c installed... I've not heard to anyone actually having this.

Does anyone know if there is anyone who has this?? and how the roof was supported to allow for this additional weight??

I've checked out the scamptrailers.com site.. and it also indicates this...

any info or direction is appreciated.

thanks
Old 06-04-2008, 06:46 AM   #42

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Ria, prior to the fire, Scamps had to be built from the getgo to support a roof A/C. It's my UNDERSTANDING that all Scamps are now built that way, whether or not the trailer was purchased from Scamp with the roof A/C. If you're asking if your older trailer would support a roof A/C, the answer is only if it came from the factory with the extra support.

I don't believe we've ever seen pictures of a Scamp (with roof supports) stripped on the inside so we can what what was done.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, scamp