AC location - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2008, 06:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13 ft
We've just started thinking about a 13-footer and have been educating ourselves and researching what is out there. I've noticed ACs factory installed on the door side, external units, window-mounted over tongue, rear-mounted over dining table, under dinette table, and roof-mounted. What are your thoughts about the pros and cons of location? Also does anyone have any thoughts about buying one that has "lived" in the southeast? Would mold and mildew be a problem?
William L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
We are also trying to figure out a good AC solution in our new (old) 13' Scamp. So far the best place looks to be the closet by the door, but that would also limit our storage space in that closet. It seems the least expensive option would be to get a small window unit (around $100) We are not going to do anything just yet though, as we are starting to move into the cooler season. I am filling my head with information at this point so we can make the best choice when we do install it.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I inherited the Rear Left window dinette location and recently corrected the old installation mess with a replacement unit. Having camped in the 13 for close to two years now I like the location for two reasons.

1. In a 13 I personally wouldn't want to sacrifice the closet space.
2. There is nothing better on a hot day or evening then laying on that rear dinette bed awash in the AC blowing over you. The curvature of the roof brings the air right around the roof and down over you. Wonderful.....

Of course, everyone is different on how they view things so these are just our personal approach.

Here is our current installation:

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC_ext.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	16153

Attached Thumbnails
AC_inta.jpg  
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
We didn't want to give up closet space or a window, so we opted for installing our AC through the back wall at floor level (under the table/bed.) The only drawback is that when the bed is in position, the air flow from the AC is not as good, so we place a small fan on the floor to draw the cool air out into the room. It works well unless the temp stays in the upper 90's.
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13 ft
Greg,

Your side window mount is one I hadn't even seen yet! Do you experience any problems with balancing the weight while towing; and what about road vibration? I'm getting the impression that there is a lot of room for creativity in modifying these campers and not necessarily a right or wrong way.

Bill
William L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We cut through the fiberglass in the back of our 13' Burro, built a mount that also held our license plate that kept blowing off with the original mount, and disguised it with a cut-up cooler. When camping, we took the cooler off. One guy even asked the hubby for a cool one from the "cooler."

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
11_24_06.jpg  
Old 10-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Greg,

... I'm getting the impression that there is a lot of room for creativity in modifying these campers and not necessarily a right or wrong way.

Bill
I plan on installing the A/C under the stove where the fridge/ice box are usually located and a dorm fridge in the tall closet.

This is what I think is going to work best for my wife and I, as she will be able to enjoy the A/C inside with less noise kerb-side while I am outside.

This is in the Boler I'm still renovating which I got basically as a rolling shell.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Greg,

Your side window mount is one I hadn't even seen yet! Do you experience any problems with balancing the weight while towing; and what about road vibration? I'm getting the impression that there is a lot of room for creativity in modifying these campers and not necessarily a right or wrong way.

Bill
Bill,

No issues at all. That AC unit is almost like it is molded into the camper. After I installed it I grabbed the outside of the AC unit and shook the entire trailer from side to side for about 15 minutes pretty violently and had no movement in the unit or ill effects. You just have to be careful pulling through fast food drive thrus and not forget to watch your side clearance....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I opted for the back window mount, my Boler has a sliding window. The AC rides in the trailer in front of the closet on the floor which makes a nice table when not in use.