Add a Dinette Bunk? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #1

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Add a Dinette Bunk?

Hello, I tried to use the search feature to see if anybody has added a dinette bunk but I ended up with pages and pages of ever post that contained either the word dinette or bunk instead of the two together. If somebody could point me in the direction for the topic of adding a bunk over the dinette I'd appreciate it. I think this would make sleeping a lot more comfortable as me being 5 ft and average weight could sleep in the bunk while hubby being 6 ft and 280lbs could have the dinette bed all to himself. We have two good prospective buyers for our popup so hopefully we'll we're getting closer to being egg owners.

Thanks!
Melissa

Old 08-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #2

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape")
California
Registry
Question Bunk info

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Hello, I tried to use the search feature to see if anybody has added a dinette bunk but I ended up with pages and pages of ever post that contained either the word dinette or bunk instead of the two together. If somebody could point me in the direction for the topic of adding a bunk over the dinette I'd appreciate it. I think this would make sleeping a lot more comfortable as me being 5 ft and average weight could sleep in the bunk while hubby being 6 ft and 280lbs could have the dinette bed all to himself. We have two good prospective buyers for our popup so hopefully we'll we're getting closer to being egg owners.

Thanks!
Melissa
I too would welcome ideas on making a stable yet easily removable bunk over the small dinette in my Escape. I have toyed with the idea of pvc legs and some sort of top ranging from a canvas hammock to 1/4" plywood. I would be putting a 12 year old on top and 5 and 7 year olds feet to feet underneath. I'm also banking on good behavior!

Old 08-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Just something to think about... In our 17' bigfoot, I sleep on the bottom pullout sofa and my son (12 yrs, 100 lbs) has been sleeping on the bunk above it, but we are now finding that he is needing more room as far as clearance from the bunk to the roof (length is good). This is the last year for this sleeping arrangement and next year he will sleep in the front dinette bed. He hits the roof every time he turns over in his sleep (several times a night) and I wake up each time, sometimes in a panic because of the sudden noise.
In a smaller trailer, the headroom clearance will be even less than this. So I guess what I am saying is that your idea of adding a bunk could work, but not for an 'active' sleeper given the headroom restrictions.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:39 AM   #4

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Good to know, Lainey. Thank you for the input. Maybe I could put my 7 y/o up there and I'd take the bottom bunk up front, lol.

Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
Just something to think about... In our 17' bigfoot, I sleep on the bottom pullout sofa and my son (12 yrs, 100 lbs) has been sleeping on the bunk above it, but we are now finding that he is needing more room as far as clearance from the bunk to the roof (length is good). This is the last year for this sleeping arrangement and next year he will sleep in the front dinette bed. He hits the roof every time he turns over in his sleep (several times a night) and I wake up each time, sometimes in a panic because of the sudden noise.
In a smaller trailer, the headroom clearance will be even less than this. So I guess what I am saying is that your idea of adding a bunk could work, but not for an 'active' sleeper given the headroom restrictions.