Adding electric brakes? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-28-2006, 11:42 PM   #15
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Benny, the room is there because the basic axles (idler and braked) are the same, just that the flange is present if constructed that way.

I would be extremely reluctant to try welding a flange on -- Besides the potential damage to the rubber, there may be an effect on the axle beam itself (dunno if the axle beam is heat-treated after the flange process or not) and the flange weld itself is likely a critical one because of the forces that will be applied to it during braking, esp on bumpy surface.

It would take a very skilled welder to get the proper penetration without using excess heat -- I would expect that Dexter and Al-Ko did a lot of experimentation to get it right and in this case the welder would only have one chance per end.

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:06 AM   #16
Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Pete, I have a used, but serviceable, idler axle that was given to me and may be worth some experimentation just for the fun of I mentioned earlier, the heat would be the least of the problems.....something to play around with when there is nothing else happening around here,LOL....Benny

Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:23 AM   #17
Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
How did you remove the old axle?
Our old axle was only bolted on so there was only a small struggle with the rusted hardware and off it came. It would have been more complicated but still doable (for us) if it was welded on.
1979 Boler B1300 | 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | We officially have a collection!
Lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:59 AM   #18
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
They have all the toys.

Eric is a mechanic.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:35 PM   #19
Trailer: 1978 UNIK
Hi, wondering if anyone out here knows if there is room to weld the flange to mount the backing plate onto a torsion axle without a factory flange.......I don`t think that heat would be a problem if the weld beads were done in short runs and allowed to cool between the welding times....there is a lot of metal to act as a heat sink between the axle and the torsion part of the assembly.....there shouldn`t be too much heat getting to the rubber area.....may not be cost effective if a person had to buy the components anyway and pay a welder, but if the welding was free and if the components were on hand, it may be worth a try.... ...Benny

Has any Canadian out there seen a UNIK? We have a 1978 and haven't found anyone familiar with them. Terry w
David & Terry Sergison
David & Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:03 PM   #20
Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Haven`t seen one on the road, but there is a pic in the albums section....prior to about 4 years ago I didn`t pay any attention to the fiberglass trailers....just used to admire the biggies with sliders and diesel pushers but then down graded, or should I say upgraded, my thinking to "all that was really needed", my 13 foot Boler .......funny thing also is that I used to live a half block from where the Boler was born in Winnipeg, and knew one of the owners, Sandor Dussa, very well from before his venture of partnership with Ray Olecko and the birth of the Boler....and yet never really cared for the fiberglass eggs at all....oh, well, they say with age comes wisdom!..... followed by Alzheimers!....great!.....Benny

Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote