Adding electric brakes? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-25-2006, 01:41 AM   #1
Member
 
Carol A.'s Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 2012 19' Escape
California
Posts: 90
I know some of you have added electric brakes to your 13'ers... I'm looking at an egg that doesn't have 'em and I'll need them...

Was it terribly expensive? Hard to find a shop to do it correctly? Any info would be appreciated!
__________________

__________________
Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:06 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Roger H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Posts: 5,000
Carol, if the egg you're looking at has square flanges with pre-drilled holes on the ends of the axle, brakes can be added. If it doesn't have the flanges, you'll have to install a new axle with brakes. Any Dexter dealer can order the brakes for you. I'd recommend that even if it has flanges, that when you price the brakes, you price out a new axle with brakes and installation anyway, especially if it's an older trailer.

The design life of a rubber torsion axle is fifteen to twenty years, although many folks report getting more out of them than that. A new brake-equipped axle can be less expensive than buying the brakes alone, and the labor may also be less to replace the axle than to have the brakes installed on an existing one.

Adding brakes to the axle isn't difficult and any competent mechanic should be able to do it for you. It will require more wiring to be run to the pigtail, and of course, a brake controller needs to be installed in your tow vehicle if you don't already have one.

Good luck!

Roger
__________________

__________________
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:35 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Trillum
Posts: 6
I am getting new axle with brakes done right now.
Cost was less for complete new axle with brakes.
$700.00 + Taxes Canada
Islander RV here in Grand Falls NL
About 4 hours labour.
Pat
Quote:
Carol, if the egg you're looking at has square flanges with pre-drilled holes on the ends of the axle, brakes can be added. If it doesn't have the flanges, you'll have to install a new axle with brakes. Any Dexter dealer can order the brakes for you. I'd recommend that even if it has flanges, that when you price the brakes, you price out a new axle with brakes and installation anyway, especially if it's an older trailer.

The design life of a rubber torsion axle is fifteen to twenty years, although many folks report getting more out of them than that. A new brake-equipped axle can be less expensive than buying the brakes alone, and the labor may also be less to replace the axle than to have the brakes installed on an existing one.

Adding brakes to the axle isn't difficult and any competent mechanic should be able to do it for you. It will require more wiring to be run to the pigtail, and of course, a brake controller needs to be installed in your tow vehicle if you don't already have one.

Good luck!

Roger
__________________
Pat Tedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:40 PM   #4
Member
 
Carol A.'s Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 2012 19' Escape
California
Posts: 90
Quote:
I am getting new axle with brakes done right now.
Cost was less for complete new axle with brakes.
$700.00 + Taxes Canada
Islander RV here in Grand Falls NL
About 4 hours labour.
Pat
thanks for the pricing on the axle... this little egg needs some things that I'd really like to have and it gives me a good comparison on prices of eggs with and without (and what it would cost to add them!)

now where did I leave that Am/Can calculator??
__________________
Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:11 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Paddy Morris's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500 Deluxe / 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Access cab 2.7l
Posts: 142
Quote:
I am getting new axle with brakes done right now.
Cost was less for complete new axle with brakes.
$700.00 + Taxes Canada
Islander RV here in Grand Falls NL
About 4 hours labour.
Pat
I lived in Gander, do you know Dean and Stephanie Cull, John Boland?? Paddy
__________________
Paddy Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:04 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Trillum
Posts: 6
Paddy,
I am in Gander also.
Boyd St.
Pat
Quote:
I lived in Gander, do you know Dean and Stephanie Cull, John Boland?? Paddy
__________________
Pat Tedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:07 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Trillum
Posts: 6
Paddy
Miss read your post. No I do not know them.
Pat
Quote:
Paddy,
I am in Gander also.
Boyd St.
Pat
__________________
Pat Tedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:13 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Trillum
Posts: 6
Carol,
$1.00 Can about $0.90 US
You should be able to check a trailer shop or a welding shop.
Newfoundland is out in the Alantic NE of boston so parts have to come from the main land.
You should be able to get it done cheaper on the Sunny West coast.
Pat
Quote:
thanks for the pricing on the axle... this little egg needs some things that I'd really like to have and it gives me a good comparison on prices of eggs with and without (and what it would cost to add them!)

now where did I leave that Am/Can calculator??
__________________
Pat Tedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:25 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Roger H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Posts: 5,000
Carol,

I put a 3500 lb Dexter #10 axle with 10" brakes under my Burro last year. The axle delivered to Midwest Wheel in Cedar Rapids IA was, if memory serves, about $295. It was another $200 to have the old axle cut off and the new brackets welded on, and the axle bolted to the trailer. I also bought new five lug wheels and tires, so there was expense there. I paid an auto electrician about $50 to do the wiring because I didn't have the time to do it myself.

A Dexter #9 will cost roughly 20% less give or take.

That ought to give you at least a place to start...

Roger
__________________
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 12:29 AM   #10
Member
 
Carol A.'s Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 2012 19' Escape
California
Posts: 90
thanks, Roger, that helps a lot... the egg I was looking at had some funky "one of a kind" mods that I wasn't comfortable with... along with lacking a few things I considered essential...

so, I'll keep looking but I'm expecting that many 13'ers don't have electric brakes and is something that must be added.
__________________
Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:43 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Roger H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Posts: 5,000
Quote:
thanks, Roger, that helps a lot... the egg I was looking at had some funky "one of a kind" mods that I wasn't comfortable with... along with lacking a few things I considered essential...

so, I'll keep looking but I'm expecting that many 13'ers don't have electric brakes and is something that must be added.
And you're right, most 13' trailers won't have brakes. Actually, the 17' Burro I bought didn't have brakes! In Iowa, any trailer under 3,000 lbs isn't required to have brakes, believe it or not... and many older ones don't. While they're truly not a necessity, especially when the trailer is towed behind full-size tow vehicles, they are desireable. My opinion is that the smaller the tow vehicle in relation to the trailer, the more necessary trailer brakes are. I have an Aluma utility trailer that I haul my garden tractor on that doesn't have brakes. Anything larger than that and I'll install brakes now.

Happy hunting!

Roger
__________________
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:11 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Posts: 568
Hi, wondering if anyone out here knows if there is room to weld the flange to mount the backing plate onto a torsion axle without a factory flange.......I don`t think that heat would be a problem if the weld beads were done in short runs and allowed to cool between the welding times....there is a lot of metal to act as a heat sink between the axle and the torsion part of the assembly.....there shouldn`t be too much heat getting to the rubber area.....may not be cost effective if a person had to buy the components anyway and pay a welder, but if the welding was free and if the components were on hand, it may be worth a try.... ...Benny
__________________
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:00 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Lizbeth's Avatar
 
Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Posts: 2,027
Registry
Carol, we are in So Cal and ordered our new axle from http://www.redneck-trailer.com/ in Mira Loma. We got a #9 with brakes and EZ Lube. The cost of the axle was 360.00 picked up from their store and we were able to install it ourselves.
__________________
1979 Boler B1300 | 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | We officially have a collection!
Lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:31 PM   #14
Member
 
Carol A.'s Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 2012 19' Escape
California
Posts: 90
Quote:
Carol, we are in So Cal and ordered our new axle from http://www.redneck-trailer.com/ in Mira Loma. We got a #9 with brakes and EZ Lube. The cost of the axle was 360.00 picked up from their store and we were able to install it ourselves.
How did you remove the old axle?
__________________

__________________
Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brakes


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric Brakes Steve Smith Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 10 08-23-2008 06:36 PM
Adding brakes? Dorothy Rissel Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 14 10-24-2007 06:59 PM
Adding brakes Carol A. Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 16 06-12-2007 03:14 PM
electric brakes Hub Bru Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 1 01-30-2007 12:19 PM
Adding brakes to Scamp Quint Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 27 01-26-2006 08:07 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.