Advice needed on brake controllers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2008, 10:41 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Presently outfitting our new 2008 Saturn Vue to pull a (type to be determined but probably something like a 16 or 17 ft Casita)trailer. Hitch is installed, electrical wiring kit is on order and now reviewing choices for electric brake controller. Seems things have changed quite a bit since I last towed trailers back in the mid-1970's! So I am looking for any words of wisdom from web-land.

What I have deduced from prowling the web so far is that the hot setup seems to be the new proportional brake controllers which sense the tow vehicles de-acceleration and proportionally apply the trailers brakes to match. Seems very cool way to do it and much better than my old system way back when. Example systems are the Tekonsha P-3, Tekonsha Prodigy and Valley Odessey.

I do wonder about the impact of the many new systems on my new Vue - Antilock brakes, stability control, et al. How does this play into the trailer braking system? What other factors might come into play? What else should I look for?

All wisdom eagerly looked for!

Bob Groh, Kansas City, Missouri
BobGroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Bob,

I have the Tekonsha Prodigy on our Subaru Forester. Personally I find it to work flawlessly when towing. When you are just gently braking you don't notice the trailer brakes kicking in but as you apply more brake the trailer brakes really step in. Honestly, sometimes it felt like I had better brake response with the trailer on then with it off, they work that well. We went through the Rockies twice this summer and I felt totally confident in being able to quickly stop at any point.

Just my two bits.
Booker
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Tekonsha Prodigy - You can not find anything better than this.

They sell a special cable that plugs into your prewired vehicle so you do not have to cut and splice wires. Check it out.

It mounts at various angles and has a holder. Me, I just drilled a hole in the dash to screw the holder to.

Has nothing to do with the anti lock brakes as it works on inertia.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
Quote:
Presently outfitting our new 2008 Saturn Vue to pull a (type to be determined but probably something like a 16 or 17 ft Casita)trailer. Hitch is installed, electrical wiring kit is on order and now reviewing choices for electric brake controller. Seems things have changed quite a bit since I last towed trailers back in the mid-1970's! So I am looking for any words of wisdom from web-land.

What I have deduced from prowling the web so far is that the hot setup seems to be the new proportional brake controllers which sense the tow vehicles de-acceleration and proportionally apply the trailers brakes to match. Seems very cool way to do it and much better than my old system way back when. Example systems are the Tekonsha P-3, Tekonsha Prodigy and Valley Odessey.

I do wonder about the impact of the many new systems on my new Vue - Antilock brakes, stability control, et al. How does this play into the trailer braking system? What other factors might come into play? What else should I look for?

All wisdom eagerly looked for!

Purchased a P3 controller from etrailer.com. Installed it myself on 2002 Sonoma by splicing into existing wiring. Fairly easy installation once I was able to identify the wires. As stated in the other posts you may be able to purchase a "Plug-n-Play" wiring harness for your vehicle.

Controller works like a charm. I am very pleased with the easy operation of the unit.

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-BC~90195.htm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76boler/24644...57604792637096/
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Surfside
I have the P3 as well. Works really well. Easy to setup. I bought mailorder from the US as well. Get the plug and play wiring harness if you have a factory connection in your car. Its just easier

WadeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
I suggest calling Tekonsha customer service. I installed one in our Subaru Outback with no problem, but I've heard that their customer service is great to work with and can provide details about installation in specific vehicles. I probably could have saved myself some time looking for the brake light wire (the plug to the brake light switch on our car has four wires) had I called them to start with. As for the controller, it's super!

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Here's one more vote for the Tekonsha Prodigy, or any other inertia-based reasonable facsimile.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #8

Your anti-lock system still works normally. The P3 is a good system in the harder you brake the harder the trailer brakes are applied. But if the max voltage is set properly the trailer will brake hard but not lock up the wheels.

I have only had to make one hard emergency stop with my trailer and it almost braked better than without a trailer
Old 09-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I replaced my Tekonsha Voyeuger with a Tekonsha Prodigy when I switched trucks and it was clear that I had moved a generation in controllers!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13 ft
Have the Prodigy, professionally installed, and it works perfect... every time.
Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Bob,
Another vote for Prodigy. When a product works flawlessly, it's no wonder so many support it.
5 years of trouble-free use from the sea shore to the top of the mountains, repeatedly!

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:18 AM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have had a Prodigy in both my tow rigs. Wouldn't consider another. It's seamless, works at almost any mounting angle and is easy to read and most importantly... hopefully you'll never have to use the easy panic button, but if you do, it will do exactly as it was designed to. Don't ask me how I know this, but that split second of quick thinking and perfect performance of the controller saved my bacon.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:53 AM   #13

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Maybe we have a cascading effect here. One person years ago bought the Prodigy and posted on the forum about it wonders - then the rest of us starting searching on controllers and since Prodigy keeps coming up we keep buying and posting about it merits... a self fulfilling controller prophecy
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:14 AM   #14

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Maybe we have a cascading effect here.
OK, so who's the smart aleck who bought the first FGRV??
Old 09-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #15

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
I installed a Tekonsha P3 in my truck and would recommend it.
Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Tekonsha P3
Here as well, good price from Mantelli in NY.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Tekonsha P3
Here as well, good price from Mantelli in NY.
Thanks man. I got mine from the same dealer but could not remember the name.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B / 2005 Tacoma 4x4 D Cab
P3. Works flawlessly. Just returned from a 5 week 7800km roadtrip throught the western states and it worked great in all types of road conditions.
BC Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Update: thanks for all the information. I have gone ahead and ordered the rest of the stuff I need for the electrical for the 2008 Vue including the Prodigy controller. I think I will pay a visit to the Saturn dealer and ask to look at the electrical schematics for the Vue before I start the full installation. It certainly looks like there are fuses (and wires?) in the car already for trailer wiring so I want to check that out before I go ahead toooo far. Should be interesting.

Again thanks to everyone for the input - concensus certainly seems to be that new generation of proportional, deacceleration sensing controllers are the hot setup and the way to go.

BobGroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:21 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
P3. Works flawlessly. Just returned from a 5 week 7800km roadtrip throught the western states and it worked great in all types of road conditions.
Paul,

I still don't have my Prodigy set to my satisfaction. I couldn't tell the difference between 4.7 and 6.4. Haven't had any problem braking though. Just wondering where you have your P3 set. I presume it is the trailer weight that is the determining factor.

baglo