Advice on metal carport/RV storage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #1

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Advice on metal carport/RV storage

Thinking of getting a metal carport to park my 17' Casita under. Any advice on brand, manufacturer, material (steel vs aluminum, etc), size, company to use? This would be in south Florida.

Any and all discussion, experiences and advice welcome.

Thanx!
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Before you spend the money my advise would be to check with the local authorities/City Hall and Home Owners Association if you have one to make sure you can put one up in your front driveway. Here we have a by-law that prohibits them from being put up in a front driveway across the whole municipality. Many a homeowner has found that out the hard way...
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #3

Florida
I have property and am aware of permitting. Thanx.

I am just interested in brand/style recommendations.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:15 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TappyGee View Post
I have property and am aware of permitting. Thanx.

I am just interested in brand/style recommendations.

I've used two different brands at two houses. I don't remember either brand name. I would suggest that along with the long stakes used to hold it down you insist on duckbill cable anchors at each corner also.
The first one was held down by the 3' stakes and in strong winds would lift the stakes, not all the way out, but up. I think the saving grace on that one was one corner was anchored into the concrete slab. The rest was just the long stakes.
The one I have now had the long stakes with the duckbill cable anchors at each corner. No lifting in strong winds.

Both companies used a technique that did NOT require cross bracing at the corners of roof. There good argument for either way.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I had an Eagle Carport put up. The fact of the matter is, no matter where you purchase it, they're just bringing in a company that will put it up...not them necessarily. Eagle just happened to be who this company sold.

On anchoring, I took a guy's advice that worked at where I made my purchase. He'd seen one of his customers install apx 3/8 x 2 x 2 angle in the ground. I did the same and welded rods down at the end so the concrete would have something to "bite" on. I put 4 of these (one on each corner) about 18" deep in concrete.

Here's how I installed mine. I had already basically laid it out and dug the holes. As they were assembling the carport, at the outer most carport braces, I would place one of these angles which was about 5-1/2 feet tall in all- in the ground, put it up against the brace and drill my hole through the brace using the hole I had pre-drilled in my angle. BTW, I had these epoxy-coated on the bottom for durability. I used 1/2" stainless bolts, nuts, washers. Once they were finished, I poured concrete in the holes and WOW....the "bracing" this added to that monstrosity (12 w x 21 lg) was unbelievable! It's withstood alot of storms and makes an excellent cover for my Scamp...not only that but a good place to wash/wax it after returning from a trip and not have to do it in the sun or wait for shade.

If you're interested, I could post a pic.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:00 PM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I built my own, the cost was about $1200 for material, plus 3 days of work. Here it is not so much wind, rather the snow load that we have to worry about. Also, I did not like the prefab metal designs, and their prices.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
When I finally move out to "the farm" (what we call our small rural acreage) I will put my Scamp in the barn. At the house in town I have it under one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-20-ft-portable-car-canopy-69034-8696.html It was around a $105 plus tax on sale and is available at many places (Tractor Supply, etc.). I have the factory supplied ropes tied to 8"X8"X8" concrete blocks on each corner and it has rode out some surprising storms intact. To be fair, it is under a tree canopy and the trees catch the worst of the weather.

I know you are looking for something more permanent but this is a quick and cheap option to get some longer-term temporary coverage. Mine has been up a year so far and I have been well pleased with the performance.

The metal carports like you describe are somewhat generically called "Carolina Carports" around here and are sold and installed by a large number of folks but, they all seem to be fabricated and sourced from the same factory and are made to the same engineering. I would shop on price and features (height, more panels down the sides, tie-downs, etc).

There is also this option if you were inclined to build something:http://www.overbuiltbarnkits.com/ebay/steel_truss_pole_barn.html I have seen a few RV and/or tractor sheds built from this type system and it looks pretty good for the money.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:26 PM   #8

Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
Maryland
I just had my carport installed 2 weeks ago. Eagle carports installed it the same day, took 7 hours. They did a great job. My main reason for purchasing it was to protect my 17ft Casita but since the past 2 winters were so bad i went larger so my vehicles could also be protected, no more brushing off snow and scraping ice off the windows. I upgraded to the thicker gauge framing and the upgraded stronger style roof, vertical roof i believe it's called. I love it. It also makes a nice shaded BBQ area for those hot summer days.
Attached Thumbnails
CARPORT PICS 040.jpg   CARPORT PICS 044.jpg  

Old 06-14-2015, 08:47 PM   #9

Florida
Wow. That is sweet. Congratulations and enjoy.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TappyGee View Post
Thinking of getting a metal carport to park my 17' Casita under. Any advice on brand, manufacturer, material (steel vs aluminum, etc), size, company to use? This would be in south Florida.

Any and all discussion, experiences and advice welcome.

Thanx!
not just because it is south Florida, but be sure it is achored securely to the ground.
Maybe mobile home augers?
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I had Tuff Shed build me an 18x25 metal carport years ago for the Scamp. It's anchored with 3' Earth Anchors. Where I live, the wind howls Nov-Mar. and hasn't moved a bit.

It's too short for Ten Forward by about 6" and I need to get it lifted to get my wonderful trailer home. No one wants to do the work... Plan Ahead!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:11 AM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I had Tuff Shed build me an 18x25 metal carport years ago for the Scamp. It's anchored with 3' Earth Anchors. Where I live, the wind howls Nov-Mar. and hasn't moved a bit.
It's too short for Ten Forward by about 6" and I need to get it lifted to get my wonderful trailer home. No one wants to do the work... Plan Ahead!
Donna, pick up enough metal, nuts and bolts to make up "sleeves" for the carport uprights to add a foot and have a barn raising party with FGRV members. A new NOG
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:12 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Tap
I recently purchased property in Fl. I quickly learned wind certification is a big deal is construction and building materials. I noticed that even portable storage building are advertised to be built to the wind certification requirements. Meeting wind certified requirements can also reduce your Homeowners Insurance in Fl.
I suggest you contact your local building inspector and find out what the wind requirements are and what certification is required for the type of structure you intend to purchase . This should help narrow down which building to purchase and how the building is to be installed.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:43 AM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Tap
I recently purchased property in Fl. I quickly learned wind certification is a big deal is construction and building materials. I noticed that even portable storage building are advertised to be built to the wind certification requirements. Meeting wind certified requirements can also reduce your Homeowners Insurance in Fl.
I suggest you contact your local building inspector and find out what the wind requirements are and what certification is required for the type of structure you intend to purchase . This should help narrow down which building to purchase and how the building is to be installed.
Eddie
I bought one of these metal carports to house my Scamp,strictly because it was considered portable/temporary and therefore not taxed or regulated. But then I guess at least two out of three little pigs just don't know what's adequate.
Careful though, the wolf just might be on the zoning board!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:42 AM   #15

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I bought one of these metal carports to house my Scamp,strictly because it was considered portable/temporary and therefore not taxed or regulated. But then I guess at least two out of three little pigs just don't know what's adequate.
Careful though, the wolf just might be on the zoning board!
I built mine like that for the same reasons. We are well sheltered from wind, and it is the snow load and rain I do not want on the Scamp. My shelter is 21' x 12'. All sides are open, so with any wind blowing the ends of the 19footer get wet and snow dusted, but the bulk is perfectly dry. I could theoretically pick it up with a big truck and move it somewhere else. Also there is no permanent utility connection.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
portlift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

I found a contractor who has done work for me before who will slide 3 6x6's under the sides and raise it about 16 inches. I don't know if you can find anyone out there to do that, but it can be done.

Dick
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote