Advice on portable poopers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2007, 07:17 AM   #1

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner
Hello All... I'm happy to step aboard.

Question: So i purchased our '78 Trill late last fall. I have been doing alot of work on it since. One thing that did not come with it though (maybe not a bad thing since some things you really don't want "used") was a porta-pottie. I will be limited to a unit that will fit into a storage compartment but does anyone have a recommendation as to manufacturer, model, capacity, ease of use, etc.

Thanks so much,
K
Kevin Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:55 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
when i had my 13 i got a Theford 135 off of Ebay ( new ) it fit right in the cubby... I dont know if they make that size anymore.... I see the 155 size but it was to big to fit in mine...

do a search.. i see they still make that size...!! like donna said measure tho......
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
... but it was to big to fit in mine...
I think Christi has a valid point....measure the space you need it to fit...go from there. I do know the Theford brand has been around a long time...in fact the "flushy" in my Scamp is that brand.

Oh, and WELCOME to FiberglassRV...we're glad you're here
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:10 AM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Trusting your backside to anything but a Thetford is.. dangerous

They are fairly easy to use, I had a 155 in my 13. You simply put water in the fresh tank in the top, and a little anti smell stuff in the bottom, along with a cup or so of water to mix..

Uhm, I don't need to instruct you on what to Doo on it.. but when it is full, the top tank snaps off the bottom, and you take it and pour down the toilet with the nice no splash *Ya right) spout.

They have a bellows to flush with, after you slide open a valve to allow your prize to drop to the black tank. The same valve, when closed, make this seal for when you are carrying it and when it is "idling" and waiting for it's next job, so there is no smell.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13 ft
Camping World still carries the small Thetford 135 that fits in the cubbie in the Scamp.
Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:48 AM   #6

I quess I'll get out the tape measure and see what I have to work with. Looks like the 135 is about $110.00 CDN, but if it fits the 235 w/level gauge might be worth it?
Hmm..
Old 06-28-2007, 09:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
The height measurement is what made me have to go with the Thetford 135, but it has been a very good investment especially at night. Our seven year old said his favorite thing after our first Scamp trip was the new potty.
I got it at JCWhitney for $63 and waited until they had a free shipping deal.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:28 AM   #8

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry

Click image for larger version

Name:	Watertank___cupboard.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	8499

We found that the newer models are a titch wider than the older ones. We have had to replace ours.... We keep ours in the clothes closet and had to widen the doorway sidewalls to allow the 'krapper' to fit inside. (I think thats Seattle speak for toilet ) I cut the notch higher than the height of the widest part of the potty (the mid band seam) so that the potty needed to be lifted from its resting place. This also insured it won't slide out and maybe damage the closet door or WORSE

If you look at the pic, you'll see a piece of 'chrome' trim. This is automotive fenderwell trim that I have used to cover all the exposed ends of the fiberglass in the storage spaces of the Trillium. This trim serves to tidy up otherwise ugly spots in the trailer and 'hides' the notches somewhat too.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:15 AM   #9

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Fit issues with a '78 Trillium 4500 with front bunk.

I had a real adventure getting a new one that would fit in our '78 4500. I wanted one with a reasonable size holding tank, not the smallest one. The specs listed at a number of vendors showed a height that would fit, but once the product arrived it was too high. It turned out that the manufacturer in Canada had changed the design of one of the module halves and the assembled unit was just too tall. I even had a vendor measure the height before they shipped and it turned out that their floor model was the older design but what they shipped was the new version and didn't fit. None of the catalog specs reflected the change in height - this was around 2003. I finally wound up calling the manufacturer in Canada and after explaining my problem they assembled an "old style" version and shipped it direct to me. I still had to shave a tad off the top of the Trill's cabinet opening after removing the plastic molding and then replacing the molding afterwards.

The bottom line is to double check the dimensions with the vendor before ordering.

Hope this helps others avoid what I went through to get one that fits.
Fred G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:58 AM   #10

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
We have a Thetford 135 that we bought at Wal-Mart. The 155 was too tall; but, the 135 was too short. I measured and built a wooden platform that holds the 135 at the maximum to fit into the cabinet. Now it's just right.

Tom Trostel
Old 06-29-2007, 11:38 AM   #11

Thanks for the info everyone.
K
Old 06-29-2007, 12:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Kevin, I have to ask is that avatar dog for real or is it a DOGGIT ? I live in a rv park for tourists and a few of us permanents. Originally four rabbits started off here years ago and now an over abundance of course. The owner of the Home Depot asked me was it true that the ferral cats breed with rabbits there == like in Cabbit ? No.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Our Coleman porta-pottie fits perfectly under the seat of our Scamp. It operates just like the Thetford described by Gina. Ours came "new in box" with our camper so I don't know how much it cost. You might want to compare prices. Happy flushing!
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Attachment 8499

We found that the newer models are a titch wider than the older ones. We have had to replace ours.... We keep ours in the clothes closet and had to widen the doorway sidewalls to allow the 'krapper' to fit inside. (I think thats Seattle speak for toilet ) I cut the notch higher than the height of the widest part of the potty (the mid band seam) so that the potty needed to be lifted from its resting place. This also insured it won't slide out and maybe damage the closet door or WORSE

If you look at the pic, you'll see a piece of 'chrome' trim. This is automotive fenderwell trim that I have used to cover all the exposed ends of the fiberglass in the storage spaces of the Trillium. This trim serves to tidy up otherwise ugly spots in the trailer and 'hides' the notches somewhat too.
Hi: Thomas Crapper didn't invent the "Reverse Trap Water Closet" he just Mfg'd them Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Kevin, I have to ask is that avatar dog for real or is it a DOGGIT ? I live in a rv park for tourists and a few of us permanents. Originally four rabbits started off here years ago and now an over abundance of course. The owner of the Home Depot asked me was it true that the ferral cats breed with rabbits there == like in Cabbit ? No.

Her name is Tucson. I was messing around with a Photoshop program and that's what I ended up with. Pretty realistic isn't it!
Attached Thumbnails
Tucson_009.jpg  
Old 06-29-2007, 03:17 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I would suggest that you check the prices at a local WallyMart -- Easy to return (unused, of course) if it doesn't fit within 90 days. They also sell non-formaldehyde potions to put in it to keep the odors down and are friendly to the sewage system(s) into which you will dump it.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote