Air Conditioners in Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
I think the air conditioner in our new Bigfoot 21-ft might be defective or not big enough for the trailer. It is the factory installed unit. It will not cool the trailer although it runs and the air coming out feels cool. Example 82 outside, inside the trailer 80. Without the unit running, the temp. inside quickly climbs to 90+. Anyone else have problems with the factory installed air conditioners in their bigfoots?
yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Just because the air blows does not mean the compressor is running it means the single dual shaft fan motor is running, this motor turns the outside fan "a condenser" and the inside blower "an evaporator"...these A/C units are tough little guys...Many are rotary compressors...89% of the time when what you describe happens its because the [b]compressor will not run, the most probable cause I see when working on them is a [b]thermostat problem... Often I find a burned wire on the back of the [b]temp set switch, or the rotary mode switch, next in the most common problems list is the [b]start capacitor or the [b]hard start relay attached to its circuit...lastly...I would look for a burned wire on the [b]compressor terminal. These problems are what I see most often.

[b]NEVER, NEVER, NEVER... Look, or Troubleshoot A/C units with power connected unless you are qualified...looking at components is o.k. but [b]ONLY with power disconnected from trailer.

Now one sneaky problem with A/C is this...If the trailer is run on too small a service cord the [b]compressor temp sensing switch will over heat tripping it open/ie. turn off compressor only...but... the fan will still run... [b]this sensor built into the compressor motor will trip in 20 min or so of run time on too small/light gauge of a service cord, it requires hours for the compressor motor windings affecting the switch temps to cool down allowing it to reset.

(WARNING) If the temp switch inside the compressor is cycled too may times the compressor motor will just not ever reset again... this failure of the temp switch means its new compressor time campers...Ouch!!!

Inadequate cord sizing is the #1 cause of compressor A/C failure. DO NOT BE CHEAP... GET THE RIGHT [b]GAUGE OF CORD OF [b]THE RIGHT LENGTH.

Make and model of the A/C unit may help me...Working with someone who has experience in electrical trouble shooting procedures is a must. The process of trouble shooting is straight forward...Being able to read a volt ohm meter "V.O.M." is a non negotiable must have skill.

Some well written books are available.

Again, I find in most cases, A/C problems are commonly electrical in nature and the fix inexpensive...Maybe in 50 units I work on do I actually do something in the refrigeration end of it.

I welcome any questions.

Harry

Quote:
I think the air conditioner in our new Bigfoot 21-ft might be defective or not big enough for the trailer. It is the factory installed unit. It will not cool the trailer although it runs and the air coming out feels cool. Example 82 outside, inside the trailer 80. Without the unit running, the temp. inside quickly climbs to 90+. Anyone else have problems with the factory installed air conditioners in their bigfoots?
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:35 AM   #3

Harry, thank you for your response. My trailer is being stored right now in another state. I just bought it brand spanking new from a dealer in Montana. When we tried to test the A/C at the dealer, it would blow air but not cool. The dealer tore it open, checked it and told us it was okay. The dealer said it was too cold outside for it to work well. Well, it probably was. We stayed in Montana for a week to test everything and it never got above 50. It rained,snowed,hailed.... every day. I can say the heater works great and it is water tight! But we didn't get to check the A/C until we got to Southern Colorado. We will be going back out in a few weeks with our dog and I know we will need the A/C for sure. My dog is very sensitive to temperature elevation. From your post, it sounds like the air is suppose to cool much better. The unit is a low profile 11,000 BTU duotherm. Anyone know a good RV service place in SW Colorado? And Harry, I will try looking at it myself, with the power off of course. Thank you again for your help
Old 06-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Anytime Yvonne...

Its fun to play guess the problem...
If it is to cold when you try to operate the unit then technically it is a thermostat problem.... It would be to cold for the contacts/or sensor thermistor on some computer run models to signal the compressor on... ...That brand stands behind their product, you should have no issue with warranty if needed...also they back their parts supply for a long time.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot
Quote:

We have a 2006 25RQ and the AC failed on us last summer in North Dakota (when it was about 105 degrees...arrggh). The fan would run but the compressor would not kick in. We had it fixed in Montana under warranty. Turned out to be a $30 part (capacitor I think) in the starting unit.

Ron Gove.
R&SGove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #6

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Yvonne, I have no advice other than to take it to a dealer who handles that brand of A/C unit. It need not be a Bigfoot dealer; any dealer who carries that A/C including Camping World can service and do warranty work. What you describe is definitely NOT normal. In high 80s temps this past weekend in Illinois, our 25RQ was in direct sunlight for hours, and with the A/C on "medium" the trailer was down to 65* in the three hours we were gone.

Good luck!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Yvonne, I have no advice other than to take it to a dealer who handles that brand of A/C unit. It need not be a Bigfoot dealer; any dealer who carries that A/C including Camping World can service and do warranty work. What you describe is definitely NOT normal. In high 80s temps this past weekend in Illinois, our 25RQ was in direct sunlight for hours, and with the A/C on "medium" the trailer was down to 65* in the three hours we were gone.

Good luck!

Roger

Roger, I am glad to hear the A/C will cool the trailer when working properly. I have called the nearest service center ( 2 hours drive one-way ) and they said we would have to pay upfront and deal with the warranty reimbursement ourselves.
I have found a mobil repair guy that will come to us and do warranty work but we will have to pay for the $50 service call ourselves. No good solution but we must have working A/C. I am very disappointed that the factory would clear this unit for delivery with out checking all major appliances

Tags
bigfoot