Air Conditioning... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2012, 06:15 AM   #1

Name: PaulOWindsor
Trailer: 2011 Trillium 1500 & 2002 Airstream 34
Ontario
Air Conditioning...

Fellow Egg'ers : As we've had a huge amount of heat this summer, and since not all of us have late model trailers with an air conditioner mounted on the roof, I have a question...

"How have you set up air conditioning for your egg" ??

Pictures please !!!

Cheers, P.
PaulOWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #2

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Registry
Greetings Paul,

I mount mine in the window...when I have AC power and the temperatures warrant. Otherwise it stays at home.
Attached Thumbnails
window air.JPG  
Phill Roehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
This would be great to have the ideas all in one thread. Have seen pictures of so many AC mounts in different threads. In closet, under kit counter, through rear wall under the dining table, and front wall under custom front dinette for two. Plus a bunch of different window approaches. Hope all those people post a response.

No AC, can live without it but..... at 100 degrees I'm going to be out the $ for a motel so it is something I have considered at least a little.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #4

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I am working on one like this fro my U-haul. I will post picks when I get it finished.
Attached Thumbnails
tear air conditioner 1.jpg   tear air conditioner 2.jpg  

kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
My trailer has wheels on it. This allows it to be towed to where the temperature suits me. A whole lot less fuss and bother plus not having to worry about the dreaded "hookup" pole.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
Bought a Frigidaire $110 window unit 5000 btu unit on Friday over lunch - Sears still had them in stock since I guess nobody ever shops there anymore.

Tossed in the back sliding screen window of the Scamp right after work and used it Friday night in 100 degree temps. Worked great. Didn't need it Saturday night and loved that it takes 3-4 minutes to install and remove (vs. the heavy roof mounted, expensive, hard to repair, prone to leaks over time unit - at least from my perspective where in most summers I may only need it 2 or 3 times).
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #7

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
I stick a fan on him.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #8

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Bought a Frigidaire $110 window unit 5000 btu unit on Friday over lunch - Sears still had them in stock since I guess nobody ever shops there anymore.

Tossed in the back sliding screen window of the Scamp right after work and used it Friday night in 100 degree temps. Worked great. Didn't need it Saturday night and loved that it takes 3-4 minutes to install and remove (vs. the heavy roof mounted, expensive, hard to repair, prone to leaks over time unit - at least from my perspective where in most summers I may only need it 2 or 3 times).
Did you use the standard included window hardware and with no additional supports? 3 to 4 min minutes sounds way too easy. But I overcomplicate everything and take way too long to get anything done.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #9

Ontario
This was our solution...

Ingredients...

A small portable air conditioner (we bought ours @ Can Tire)

Two 6" marine "deck plate" ports

The pictures will follow...

P.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
I should have taken a picture when it was mounted (next time). I bought the AC-80 support bracket from the home improvement store:

Amazon.com: Air Conditioning Window Unit Light Duty Support Bracket - up to 80 Pounds: Home & Kitchen

and a small bag of the black foam pipe insulation. A couple of SS bolts with locking nuts to have the "lip" of the bracket held on (the default install assumes you are screwing the lip into the window sill). I lined the window opening with the pipe insulation split lengthwise, slap the AC unit onto the bracket (which is nicely adjustable with a level for the proper tilt back for drainage). Once you have the bracket setup for the proper tilt, that never varies again so you don't have to ever mess with it again - it just folds down nicely for storage when you remove it. I cut a few pieces of 1x4" and that fits in the top "rail" of the unit on the inside and mates with some 6" threaded bolts with wing nuts onto the same size piece on the outside of the camper. Then I just wedge a few pieces of pipe insulation in anything else I can see through.

The 5000 btu units are overkill for the 13' scamps so the thing doesn't need to be air tight. I guess if I wanted it to survive the occasional rain storm without a leak I'd be more picky following a few of the really nice fabricated setups others have posted.

The Frigidaire FRA052XT7 works great and is cheap enough that's for sure. And I found it much more quiet than I expected it to be.

I assumed I needed to mess around with bumper pole support sticks and stuff, but honestly the unit is just not that heavy and the bracket transfers a lot of the weight to the area down near the belly band which seems plenty strong enough. I don't need to drive around with it mounted so not worried about that sort of stress.
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #11

Ontario
Here are the pictures of my "after market" solution to the problem of getting air conditioning into our Trillium...

Although we can't leave the portable air conditioner in the Trillium when we travel, this works perfectly & it can be almost totally hidden when not in use by simply replacing the screw in caps into the inside & outside ports.

P.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0392.jpg   IMG_0389.jpg  

IMG_0388.jpg   IMG_0387.jpg  

IMG_0386.jpg  
Old 07-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #12

British Columbia
I could totally use one of those "6" marine "deck plate" ports" for an air intake on my AC install.

Got a link to a good source?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #13

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Here is mine, window install. I sealed it up for a more permanent install, it has made several trips and still rock solid.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...3-a-45934.html
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #14

British Columbia
I'll get mine into my closet eventually, but temporary options may be useful until I'm ready to cut another a big hole in my Scamp.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #15

Ontario
Dylan : Those "Deck Plates" are sold at "West Marine" stores & most every boat stuff stores...they're a very common item, although the 6" ones may have to be a special order at some smaller marine stores.

Cheers, P.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #16

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
Being new to FGRV this is my 1st post. After much reading on the subject I decided to install my $99/5K BTU unit under the front bunk. Knowing that 2 things are needed to operate properly, a fresh air intake and a hot air exhaust, I used 2 marine deck ports purchased at the local Bass Pro to serve these purposes. Then using insulation board and metal duct tape I created a chute to funnel the exhaust air outside via the front deck port; "works great". On very hot days maybe use a small fan to help circulate air. Have pictures and will post as soon as I firgure out how?
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #17

Trailer: 1971 Boler 13 ft
I, like many others, decided to go with a small 5K BTU window unit. I wanted to have it permanently mounted and not lose any window openings so I decided to use some closet space.

I know Scamp and some other manufacturers have used a low mount in the past but I was worried about convection working against me and ending up with a sweaty brow and cold feet so I decided to mount at the top of the closet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4400.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	48821Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4402.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	48825

One advantage of the low mount is the ability to create a fresh air intake through the floor (without losing more closet space to a duct coming up from the floor). I decided to do some work to the back of my unit to divert the hot air out the top vent I had added while the cold air would come in via the bottom vent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3675.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	48823Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3678.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	48824

Russ
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL View Post
I know Scamp and some other manufacturers have used a low mount in the past but I was worried about convection working against me and ending up with a sweaty brow and cold feet so I decided to mount at the top of the closet.

I imagine that helps with that whole pesky heat rising thing. Looks good - I imagine the higher AC, the better it will operate.

Steve
stevewolverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #19

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulOWindsor View Post
Dylan : Those "Deck Plates" are sold at "West Marine" stores & most every boat stuff stores...they're a very common item, although the 6" ones may have to be a special order at some smaller marine stores.

Cheers, P.
Thanks, I'll check around.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #20

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL View Post
I, like many others, decided to go with a small 5K BTU window unit. I wanted to have it permanently mounted and not lose any window openings so I decided to use some closet space.

Attachment 48821Attachment 48825

One advantage of the low mount is the ability to create a fresh air intake through the floor (without losing more closet space to a duct coming up from the floor). I decided to do some work to the back of my unit to divert the hot air out the top vent I had added while the cold air would come in via the bottom vent.

Attachment 48823Attachment 48824

Russ
Great reference photos!

How do you feel getting the cool air intake so close to the hot air out is working? I've considered that sort of install.

At the moment I'm considering getting cool air from the rear dinnette seat and putting in a vent like that "deck plate" that I can seal or open depending on AC use. Smaller vent/hatch on the side for just the hot air out. But, I'm still open to considering all configurations. I just don't see a great way to get air from below in the bottom of the closet. Pesky wheel well.