Alternative to Jalousie windows in Trillium 1300?? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 1300 1974
Alternative to Jalousie windows in Trillium 1300??

my jalousie windows are in pretty bad shape... anyone seen a good modification or replacement alternative?

Old 08-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #2

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
rhettelliot,

There are new windows made, so you could look into those (and they will make custom sizes if yours aren't readily available).

However, the jalousie windows are (to my mind) one of the great features of the original Trilliums. And there are many parts available for them. Thus, I wonder if yours would be rebuildable/repairable. Can you post photos or explain what is wrong with them?

Raya

Old 08-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 1300 1974
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
rhettelliot,

There are new windows made, so you could look into those (and they will make custom sizes if yours aren't readily available).

However, the jalousie windows are (to my mind) one of the great features of the original Trilliums. And there are many parts available for them. Thus, I wonder if yours would be rebuildable/repairable. Can you post photos or explain what is wrong with them?

Raya
They just have a lot of corrosion on them and the seals are dry-rotted. I'm afraid i'll spend a ton of time on them and they'll still leak. I have them out now and i'm trying wire brush drill bits and brasso to clean them.

Any tips?
Rj
Old 08-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #4

Name: Michel
Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Quebec
Registry
You already went through the worst part, so keep them, don't change, you won't regret. Clean them, change the seals, they are easally available.

They are not just part of the look, but very functionnal, I still wonder why they are not made anymore.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #5

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Rj,

Without seeing photos of them, I would say to check out the following three sites for parts, with Vintage probably being the closest to "one stop" shopping:

Edited to add: Hmm, for some reason the forum software is re-naming my links, and the last one is turning "Pelland Enterprises" into their page header of "RV Parts and Motorhome Parts Online Outlet" (when the company name is Pelland Enterprises).

I will re-type them differently; just add the www. and .com on either end and you will have the name and the link.

vintagetrailersupply

interstatemetals

pellandent (Pelland Enterprises)

If you could post photos of specific seals or problem areas, I would be happy to comment more specifically. There are some seals "deep" into the windows that I have not replaced, but it seems that the usual ones to deteriorate (header seal, seals between the flaps) are reasonably easily replaceable.

You have a good point in that you don't want to spend dozens of hours on them if they are too far gone. On the other hand new ones aren't cheap, and you would almost certainly have to fiberglass in your corners (new ones typically have radiused corners; your old ones are probably square-cornered); so there is some good reason for trying to repair what you have, if they are not completely ruined.

Raya
Old 08-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #6

Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
I took my windows out and sprayed them down with EAGLE 1 Mag Wheel etching cleaner this tuff on alumnium is great it will foam up and take all the dirt and grime off with a simple spray with the hose..if its really bad with buryl tape and other stuff like silcone I had to use a cordless drill with a wire brush once I got the that off then respray with the Eagle 1 makes them look like brand new...works great on any alumnium parts...You have to make sure it's the Mag Etching cleaner the other stuff Eagle 1 sells wont work..I found it at O'reilly Auto Parts , Adavance Auto Parts and Wal-Mart.......Hope this Helps

RANDY

Tags
jalousie windows, trillium, windows