Alternatives to portable propane containers - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #29

Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13 ft
We have a gas grill at home and enjoy the conveniences you mentioned. I guess I am just not in a hurry when camping and grilling the "old fashioned way" is part of the fun. Lighting the charcoal and then prepping for 10 minutes while the coals get going to me is pretty trivial. I have always had better luck indirectly cooking with charcoal and adding a little bit of smoke is certainly easier. I can't remember an instance where a charcoal bag was "messy" or where clean up took more than a couple of minutes. I can always tell exactly how much charcoal I have with a quick glance.

I don't mean to start a gas vs. charcoal debate, I enjoy both. The original poster expressed concerns about disposable propane and I believe charcoal provides a possible solution to safety and environmental issues and was surprised that it had not been mentioned.

Quote:
ONE of the bonus' of gas heat it its almost instant, second bonus is NOT having to deal with (store) a messy charcoal bag AND third is it takes less time for the unit to cool down to stow away and fourth, NO MESSY ASHES to safetly get rid of.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #30

Trailer: 1994 Bigfoot 5th Wheel / 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Hi Doug
I got all the parts/hose for my system from Superior Propane in Coquitlam, BC.
Cheers
Greg

Old 07-24-2008, 07:56 PM   #31

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
ahhh yes right by the Ferry Hill by-pass, LOL.

I'm headed in that self-same direction Friday, maybe I'll swoop on by there and get some figure$, THANKS for the help Greg!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #32

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
I just picked up a 20 foot hose On ebay, $60., +$15 shipping,But haven/t priced out the ends yet, I currently have the tee set up before the regulator that mimics the small cylinders, and use a 12 foot hose, but I wanted mor length. Once I install the new regulator, I will plumb in the Quick connector and set the hose to match.
I think the seller had more hoses, he was from Ontario, and the hoses are certified.
Joe
Old 07-24-2008, 10:09 PM   #33

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
You can probably go to a commercial propane supplier, the guys who fill the big tanks at your house, and get just about any hose set up that you could imagine -- Those guys usually have the raw materials, tools and skills to do it right.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:43 PM   #34

Name: Ian or Vicki
Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Explorer Sport Trac
British Columbia
Quote:
You can probably go to a commercial propane supplier, the guys who fill the big tanks at your house, and get just about any hose set up that you could imagine -- Those guys usually have the raw materials, tools and skills to do it right.

Amen!
cheers
Ian
Old 07-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #35

Name: Craig
Trailer: U-Haul
South Eastern Pennsylvania
Hi Folks.

Just returned from a short camping trip so I am just reading this.

My wife & I never cook inside. The setup we have used for years is to remove the 20lb tank from the trailer and set it near the stove (no gas fridge either). I attach a "30 Propane Distribution Tree", a vertical tube with 3 outlets, to the tank. My lantern screws to the top and a short hose (3 ft?) attaches about half way up for the stove. I don't need to worry about where to safely put the lantern and the height is sufficient to light the entire camp, especially if I put the tank on the bench. The tank provides a rather stable support. I do have a small lantern with a 1lb bottle for quick light when arriving when it is dark and such.

I also have a small propane grill that could hook up to this as well.

This setup has worked well for me.

Craig T.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:40 PM   #36

Trailer: Trillium
At a flea market, I found one of those propane stoves such as they use for omelets(sp) in restaurants. It uses a small disposable propane tank that can be bought at a restaurant supply house. I really like it - it is compact, folding into a small plastic case, self lighting, 2 burners and very hot heat. The tanks provide multiple hours of cooking. Its much nicer, lighter, and more efficient than a Coleman. Fuel tanks are cheap and take up little space. I recommend it. Can probably be purchased at a local restaurant supply house. I paid about $25 for mine with 5 tanks of fuel.

Don
Old 07-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #37

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Just and added note about small tanks (5 - 10lbs) in Canada. Stopped by Canadian Tire today to buy a small coleman table and noticed they had the 5 and 10lb models. However, the 5lb was $55 and the 10lb was $65. A 20lb tank is $44.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #38

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
...the smaller tanks have ALWAYS been more money!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:31 PM   #39

Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
-
Quote:
However, the 5lb was $55 and the 10lb was $65. A 20lb tank is $44.
Sad, but true. However, disposable 1lb cylinders go for about CDN$4 each, and so far my tank refills were about CDN$1 per pound or so, so any of those tanks will eventually pay for itself, as long as you get one that doesn't expire too soon. Do check the expiry dates on them!

On the other hand, 20' hoses are not cheap either, and I keep wondering how much gas can be wasted in the actual hose if you don't burn it off before disconnecting it.

But I think any solution is better than those big piles of disposable cylinders lying next to the camping dumpsters.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:41 PM   #40

Trailer: 1978 Surfside
Quote:
Just and added note about small tanks (5 - 10lbs) in Canada. Stopped by Canadian Tire today to buy a small coleman table and noticed they had the 5 and 10lb models. However, the 5lb was $55 and the 10lb was $65. A 20lb tank is $44.
If anyone out there is looking for a 5 or 10 tanks don't goto a Canadian Tire or Walmart etc, check your yellow pages under propane and goto a place like Tempheat.ca (as least here in Calgary, thats all they do is propane) and you'll find them much cheaper. These guys are the people who supply a lot of these tanks to companies.

KJ
Old 07-30-2008, 12:29 AM   #41

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I got my 10 lb tank from Home Despot. Pricing is similar, with the common item (20 lb) being less expensive than the uncommon items.

BTW, there are TWO kinds of 10 lb -- One is the same height as 20 lb, but thinner, and fits the 20 lb hardware -- The other is the same footprint as 20 lb but is shorter (and more stable).
Old 07-30-2008, 07:34 AM   #42

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Quote:
I got my 10 lb tank from Home Despot. Pricing is similar, with the common item (20 lb) being less expensive than the uncommon items.

BTW, there are TWO kinds of 10 lb -- One is the same height as 20 lb, but thinner, and fits the 20 lb hardware -- The other is the same footprint as 20 lb but is shorter (and more stable).
Pete.....
What department in home depot did you find that 10lb tank in?____ I looked all over home depot and lowes and nobody could help me.
thanks in advance
Joe

Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane