Alternatives to portable propane containers - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #41

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I got my 10 lb tank from Home Despot. Pricing is similar, with the common item (20 lb) being less expensive than the uncommon items.

BTW, there are TWO kinds of 10 lb -- One is the same height as 20 lb, but thinner, and fits the 20 lb hardware -- The other is the same footprint as 20 lb but is shorter (and more stable).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:34 AM   #42

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
I got my 10 lb tank from Home Despot. Pricing is similar, with the common item (20 lb) being less expensive than the uncommon items.

BTW, there are TWO kinds of 10 lb -- One is the same height as 20 lb, but thinner, and fits the 20 lb hardware -- The other is the same footprint as 20 lb but is shorter (and more stable).
Pete.....
What department in home depot did you find that 10lb tank in?____ I looked all over home depot and lowes and nobody could help me.
thanks in advance
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:42 PM   #43

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The tank selection is usually in the same area as the BBQ grills at Home Despot, although they may be separated because the turnover is less. Didn't have a Lower to check out at the time. Of course, it's been about five years since I bought mine.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:51 PM   #44

thanks pete....i'll give it another try
Joe
Old 07-31-2008, 07:59 AM   #45

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I used the short one standard width, but it is 11 LB
http://www.mantank.com/products/steel_propane/5-10.htm

Distributors listed here:
http://www.mantank.com/distributors.htm
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:31 AM   #46

Quote:
I used the short one standard width, but it is 11 LB
http://www.mantank.com/products/steel_propane/5-10.htm

Distributors listed here:
http://www.mantank.com/distributors.htm
Roy.....
Really good site and i would be interested in the same one you got.....was it expensive?____
do you have a hard time trying to find someone to fill it?______
do they charge you alot less than a 20lb fill?_____
the only place i could find by me wanted to charge me the full 20lb full rate.
thanx,
joe
Old 07-31-2008, 10:06 AM   #47

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Roy.....
Really good site and i would be interested in the same one you got.....was it expensive?____
do you have a hard time trying to find someone to fill it?______
do they charge you alot less than a 20lb fill?_____
the only place i could find by me wanted to charge me the full 20lb full rate.
thanx,
joe
IIRC Joe, I paid about $75 CDN each (special order when our $$ was not worth as much as today).
There is no difference in the valves so everyone that can fill a 20# should be able to fill an 11#. The difficulty comes to computerized checkouts and they don't have a button or code for the 11# tanks.

Quick check of the web finds 11# tanks for $55 USD at Cabella's and $49 at Ace Hardware. Which is less than I paid for them. Price to fill was less than the 20#, I filled 2 at the same time so I paid a bit more. Still cheaper than using the 1#.

IMO paying up to 75% of the 20# rate might be fair, You are getting 55% of the propane but labour is the same. It all depends on what you want for the convenience. I'm actually considering getting 2 more since the 20# does not fit under the P/U tonneau and I'm uncomfortable keeping the 20# tank in the trailer while towing. OTOH I have considered making something to fit in the hole for the bumper hitch to hold the tank since I have a receiver below that to tow with.

Decisions, decisions ... 1 way is safer, the other cheaper. Safety prevails, but I still wonder if you are not supposed to transport in an enclosed area what people with cars do. All I ever see is people putting their tanks in the trunk or passenger compartment when they get them filled.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane