Alternatives to portable propane containers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi All,

Like many of you we do all of our cooking outside of our trailer. One thing that has bothered me was the use disposable propane cylinders - we can go through as many as 1 a day depending on what have on the menu. I find that the use of them is both quite wasteful and for garbage collectors a hazardous item (more on what they are doing in Canada here)

What I have done is install a Extend-A-Flow Tee on my propane tank to allow for flow through on to the regulator on the trailer. It then provides an pressure fitting for a standard camping appliance hose. We used this last weekend on our trip to a local island and it works like a charm. The only drawback was that we had only one appliance hose and I would like to connect our propane stove and propane lantern.

To handle this I have purchased an Add-A-Tee to split a single appliance connection into two. I will also need to buy 2 additional short hoses to feed the appliances.

The only drawback (and its a biggie) to this system is the cost. The Canadian prices are similar to the links I have included to rvshop.com. A 12' hose runs around $45 bucks. A 5' hose runs around $30. So total cost is going to be around $150-$200 all said and done. That's a lot of dough not to be using $4.00 disposable cylinders. I think the brass fittings could be made much cheaper but the hoses would require specialized equipment

Anyways, just thought I would let people know about an alternate system if you do extended day trips like we do.

Booke
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 1978 Surfside
What I have set up is done with a POL Tee. One side of the tee goes to the trailer and the other to distribution tree that has three taps on it, the lantern on top, stove out the side and I still have one left over for something else if need be.

KJ
kentj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #3

That was one approach I looked at. However, it does tie our cooking table and lantern to being closer to the propane tank unless we use a couple of 12' hoses.

Probably had I realized how convenient having the main propane tank run multiple appliances is I would have taken your approach but I was kind of committed once I bought the Extenda-Flow Tee. Going with my current system (Tee -> 12' -> Add-A-Tee-> dual 5' hoses) does give me the flexibility to have the cooking system at the back of the trailer which is where we generally had it in the past with disposable containers.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 1978 Surfside
The other option could have been one of these E-Z Propane Filler and just reuse the disposable cylinders.

KJ
kentj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Quote:
The other option could have been one of these E-Z Propane Filler and just reuse the disposable cylinders.

KJ
I've used the ezfiller for several years and dozens of tanks. Saved many $.
You have to be careful and sober. Once I unscrewed the small tank before I shut off the valve and got a nasty quater-size freeze burn before I got it shut offAlso I never leave filled tanks in an enclosed space because once in a while one has a slow leak even if I have soapy water tested it.
But it costs about 30 cents to fill one so why not try?
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Hey - I like that idea - cheap and not so many hoses/hook-ups to deal with. And, I wouldn't be tethered by how long my hoses were!

Quote:

KJ
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
I dislike the small 1lb containers as well. What I use is a refillable 5 lb propane tank from Canadian Tire, which I put next to the picnic table where we usually do most of the cooking with our portable stove. As to refilling 1 lb containers, it seems to be illegal in some places, and so is transporting re-filled disposable bottles. Check with local authorities...
Old 07-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #8

I believe in the USA it is illegal to tranport refilled containers. I think in Canada it is also illegal to refill them period. Too bad as that would be one solution to this issue.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
I find that one 5 lb propane tank takes less space than 5 x 1 lb cylinders anyway, and I imagine is much less work than having to constantly deal with refilling the small ones. It also tucks nicely in a rubbermaid tub, plus you can use it as a backup if your main tank runs out before the small one, without the extra weight of a second large tank.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
those five pound tanks would be nice but i have asked all over the reading pa area and nobody will refill them and if they do they want the same price as a twenty pound tank....... I would also buy a five pound new style OPD tank if i could find one but i still have an old style tank that i didn't even mention when i asked about refilling them........... any hints on where to fill them(the new style OPD)?______
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Joe,
If you have Northern Tool in your area, they sell new 5 lb. tanks. I've also seen some at Camping World.

Tom Trostel
Old 07-23-2008, 07:24 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Hi All,

Like many of you we do all of our cooking outside of our trailer. One thing that has bothered me was the use disposable propane cylinders - we can go through as many as 1 a day depending on what have on the menu. I find that the use of them is both quite wasteful and for garbage collectors a hazardous item (more on what they are doing in Canada here)

What I have done is install a Extend-A-Flow Tee on my propane tank to allow for flow through on to the regulator on the trailer. It then provides an pressure fitting for a standard camping appliance hose. We used this last weekend on our trip to a local island and it works like a charm. The only drawback was that we had only one appliance hose and I would like to connect our propane stove and propane lantern.

Booke
+++++++++++++++

Some of the newer trailers plumb to the on-board propane tanks and have a quick connect fitting terminating on the side of the trailer under the body. I had such an option installed on my Bigfoot, and so far use my RVQ barbeque, but could adapt to other appliances. I don't recall the cost, but don't believe it was greater than Booker's install

Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Joe,
If you have Northern Tool in your area, they sell new 5 lb. tanks. I've also seen some at Camping World.

Tom Trostel
Thanks Tom....I will have to look into these places..... someone locally told me maybe a plumbing supply house will fill them as all the garden centers i go to only will fill 20 lb tanks or charge me the same as a 20lb fill
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:39 PM   #14

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
I believe in the USA it is illegal to tranport refilled containers. I think in Canada it is also illegal to refill them period. Too bad as that would be one solution to this issue.
I believe this to be correct. At one time the refill tool wasn't allowed to be sold in the US either. Catalog and retail stores were pulling them off the shelves. That was about 5 years ago. I've started seeing them show up on the shelves again.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #15

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
Hi All,

To handle this I have purchased an Add-A-Tee to split a single appliance connection into two. I will also need to buy 2 additional short hoses to feed the appliances.

The only drawback (and its a biggie) to this system is the cost. The Canadian prices are similar to the links I have included to rvshop.com. A 12' hose runs around $45 bucks. A 5' hose runs around $30. So total cost is going to be around $150-$200 all said and done. That's a lot of dough not to be using $4.00 disposable cylinders. I think the brass fittings could be made much cheaper but the hoses would require specialized equipment

Anyways, just thought I would let people know about an alternate system if you do extended day trips like we do.

Booke
...this is eggsakerly WHY we tend to use 'organized' campsites when we camp.
We almost always opt to camp in a place that offer Alec Tricity.
Although we do have ample gas powered appliances, we would rather NOT use them, opting instead for the 'plug in' conveniences. Since we are paying for power anyway, why would we choose to use our own Pro Pane (which we again have to pay for) for anything???
....and YES. ALL our cooking and cleanup is done outdoors.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I used a 5 lb. tank and a tee to fuel the Coleman and BBQ for years. Only problem I had was that sometimes the kid employed at the gas station had only been taught to fill 20 lb. propane tanks.
That tank expired and I now have a 10 lb. tank which isn't too large or heavy to deal with, but the kid still won't know how to fill it if I run out ( never have ). I bought a "tree" but it is cheap and doesn't inspire confidence. Besides, I usually don't need a lamp where the tank is.

The new Excape will be picked up Saturday.

I went with the three-burner stove, even though I too cook outside. I'm planning on leaving the Coleman at home and using the Q and my Thunder Range. It is compact. One burner. The TR runs on butane tanks. Extremely compact and boils water in about 1/3 the time of the Coleman. I figure I can do dinner with that combination and if I have to cook vegetables, I can always do that inside.

You can get the Thunder Range at an outdoor store for about $40 in Canada or from a Chinese or Korean supermarket here for about $25.

Since, when I get up, I need my coffee NOW! I turn to the Thunder Range. Butane tanks are about $3, but last, since it's so fast.

baglo
Old 07-23-2008, 09:15 PM   #17

lol, Doug, you always bring something different to the discussion.

In our 16 days camping so far this summer we only had hookups available on 2 days in Drumheller and we chose not to use them as we were prepped for non hookup sites. The non-hookup sites tend to be the more rustic areas which our kids love - I believe it's that Lord of the Flies thing =)

Next week are off for 10 days to our favorite campground and Alec Tricity is 7km away in Powell River. Just got my new 3 stage converter wired in (WFCO 8725) and a new deep cycle battery so curious to see how long the 12v lights works.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I dislike the small 1lb containers as well. What I use is a refillable 5 lb propane tank from Canadian Tire, which I put next to the picnic table where we usually do most of the cooking with our portable stove. As to refilling 1 lb containers, it seems to be illegal in some places, and so is transporting re-filled disposable bottles. Check with local authorities...
Long discussion on other RV forum (RV.NET). Turns out that the federal prohibition is not quoted in full on the cannisters -- It is not legal to ***commercially** transport refilled cannisters -- I've looked the US code up and that's a true statement. No one could find any law prohibiting the refilling or transportation of cannisters for private use.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:19 PM   #19

Hi Glenn,

By 'Q' I am guessing you mean the renamed Weber q220 portable BBQ? I was actually just looking at them today as my wife and I are driven crazy by the smell of BBQing around us while camping. How do you like yours?

Booker
Old 07-23-2008, 10:09 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Hi Glenn,

By 'Q' I am guessing you mean the renamed Weber q220 portable BBQ? I was actually just looking at them today as my wife and I are driven crazy by the smell of BBQing around us while camping. How do you like yours?

Booker
I just got it about a week ago and I'm still learning temps and times. A friend insisted on buying it for me as a trailer-warming gift. I have a perfectly good Broil King Porta-Chef, but I had no choice but to buy it. I could explain, but I won't.
I'm on my second Broil King after umpteen years. Both it and the Q are only one burner so you can't cook indirect. However, I've cut a chicken in half and grilled it on the Broil King many times with great sucess. The chamber is somewhat larger than the Q so we'll have to see how the Q does.

So far, I've done boneless / skinless chicken breasts and over cooked them. I've done burgers, dogs and tonight steaks. I'm getting the hang of the temp control.

As I sit here looking at it, on its folding cart ( which I also had to buy ), I'm of two minds. With the cart, it will probably take up as much space as the Broil King. Looks cute, for what that's worth. Cost twice as much.

If I was you, I'd buy a Broil King Porta Chef. And, I'm not selling mine.

baglo

Tags
propane