Anode Rod winterizing question? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2002, 05:46 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Anode Rod winterizing question?

With the Anode Rod what is best to use the Teflon tape or a grease? If you chose a grease please say what type? I am nervous about using the teflon tape and would like to use some sort of grease. What do you all think?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 06:33 AM   #2

Teflon tape

Steve;I have been using teflon tape for 30 years and have never had any problem with if properly installed.

There is a teflon grease that seems to work ok. Should be able to find it in a hardware store.

Old 10-15-2002, 08:20 AM   #3

Like Nick

Hi guys! Like Nick, I've used teflon tape in our house for years.

Don't ask me why, however, I prefer to use the teflon paste or grease on the anode rod in the trailer.

Like Steve, I'm a little nervous that a chunk of tape might break off and somehow clog the water pump.

Probably not possible, but it's why I've always used the paste.

Let me warn you ... paste is messier than tape ... both during the installation and when you remove the anode rod.

Old 10-17-2002, 10:12 AM   #4

teflon grease

Do it Best tfe paste with teflon, available at Do it Centers.

Old 10-17-2002, 10:34 AM   #5

Paste vs. tape

Does the paste not harden? (I'm wondering if the tape's more likely to break off than a chunk of hardened paste. Or would a paste chunk sink, reducing its clog factor, whereas the tape would float or at least remain suspended?)

Old 10-17-2002, 10:45 AM   #6

Paste doesn't harden

It's been my experience that the teflon paste doesn't harden into chunks ... which is why I said it was messy to work with ... messy putting on ... and it will still be messy when taking off months later.

I've used it in all three of our trailers ... and I'm not saying that an errant glob or two hasn't entered the system ... I'm worried about the teflon tape clogging something inside the water pump ... not necessarily worried about a piece showing up in the water.

Since both the teflon tape and teflon paste are widely used in residential plumping, I'm assuming (what is it they say about people who assume?) that it's safe to consume.

Old 10-17-2002, 10:54 AM   #7

Teflon tape.

Guys and gals;

Maybe I missing something but I thought the water heater was on the downstream side of the water pump

Old 10-17-2002, 10:57 AM   #8

Oh man,

Oh man, Nick ... you're right! Jeese, talk about being stupid for years ... I guess I never really thought it all the way through ... just worried about a piece of teflon tape breaking off.

Man, how dumb am I! Guess all I have to worry about it, is a piece clogging the faucet aerator screen!

Jeese.:o

Old 10-17-2002, 11:15 AM   #9

Oh man

Charles

You are not dumb. Besides you can still worry about the screen getting plugged.

If you wrap the tape in the right direction and keep it a couple of threads back from the end of the plug there is not much chance of it getting into the system.

Old 10-17-2002, 11:47 AM   #10

If your really worried

Nick was right on. But if you are really worried about stuff in the tank the following procedure will take care of it :

Take the anode rod out while the system is pressurized! Works best in cold weather!. One caveat --- don't do it while older people are watching. I thought I would have to resucitate my 89 year old father-in-law because he was laughing so hard looking at the white stuff all over my clothes (and my wife's --- who was NOT amused) :o

Now where did I put my sign?

Seriously,
o Depressurize the water system first
o Wait till the water in the tank is cool

Old 10-17-2002, 12:01 PM   #11

Cleaning water heater tank

Ted;

You have given away a secret procedure.

All true Casita lovers use this method.

Be sure to put up the sign first.;)

Old 10-17-2002, 01:04 PM   #12

No drain

Two nice thing about the water heaters with no drain, from which one must pull the anode to drain it is that not only is there one less tank penetration to corrode/leak, but one is forced to look at the anode seasonally.

Pete and Rats

Old 10-17-2002, 07:36 PM   #13

Anode Rod

Actually I had already decided I was going to use the tape but thought what the heck my local RV Bubba's does a lot of this stuff so I thought I would just give them a quick call to see what they do. They always use the tape! Pretty much because of what Charles said "it's messy"!

So I figured if it is good enough for some $100,000 rigs of all types and kinds it would work good for my Casita, plus when I took the anode rod out I could tell that they used tape on it before too. Very easy and clean method.

Old 10-18-2002, 11:24 AM   #14

WH anode

Steve - I must be missing someting about the purpose for the anode. In all the marine applications that I use an anode, they all require a VERY good grounding contact with the material they're designed to protect. I would think that any insulating tape would defeat this purpose, so I would recommend t-grease if you must lubricate.

I currently have nothing on my anode and have not had any leaking problems since the pipe threads are tapered. The first time I pulled the anode, after a couple months of taking dilevery, I was supprised at the amount of electrolsis that had already occured. Now I remove and drain after returning from a trip.

Old 10-18-2002, 11:45 AM   #15

Teflon tape

Rick;

The tape is very thin. When the anode is tightened the tape is forced down into the root of the thread. There is still quite a bit of metal to metal contact.

Old 10-18-2002, 09:03 PM   #16

That's correct; the tape smears and becomes a filler and lube, not an insulator. Same with the grease.

Pete and Rats