another battery question - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #1

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
another battery question

i have abused my battery but it is 5-6 years old so i guess it is ok to change it.

i wanted to go without one...and some on here said i could. but now the rv guy is saying the emergency brake wire wont work with out it. i hate that i have to replace it just for that...does that sound right to you guys?

if so...he want to put a delco in cuz thats what they have the best luck with. my son says sears have always been good to him.

putting water in will be impossible for my arthritic hands...but the rv guy said the maintanece free ones can have problems. he said its best to have a way to add water. i know i will just have to have him check it regularly.

so my main question is: is there a way to tow without a battery? safely.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #2

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
You can get a small battery made expressly for the break away function, if you don't need a battery for interior lights, etc. This place also sells a small box to mount it in.

Breakaway Kit Replacement 12 V Battery Hopkins Accessories and Parts HM20008

Old 04-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
You can get small maintenance free batteries that dont require adding water and you will be just fine. The one Tom showed you above is maintenance free and will fill the bill.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #4

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
thank you both-sounds like just what i need. kayak
Old 04-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #5

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
thank you both-sounds like just what i need. kayak
This explains it. Breakaway Kit Installation for Single and Dual Brake Axle Trailers | etrailer.com

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-this-old-...away-kit6.aspx
Old 04-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #6

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Brakes are not required on trailers under 3000 Pounds in NH.
Breakaway switches are not specified as required in any case.
OK... time to pile on!
Old 04-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
You may need your battery for lights, to run the fridge electronics, your heater when not hooked up, etc, etc. There are plenty of reasons why you shouldn't get rid or your battery. For $100 or less why mess with success?
PS I don't buy anything from Sears that is auto related. Buy the Wal Mart special if you want portability.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Great if...
  • you don't plan to leave New Hampshire, and
  • you only care about legality, not safety.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Im not going to pile on Floyd. IF I had functional brakes on my trailer and had a controller etc I would use it;however, I see and understand your point. I have had cases on my trailer where it started swaying and I am able to just tap the controller and slow the back end down and get back in alignment instead of wobbling all over. Of course you can accelerate and other options to boot.

True story- my friend and his wife were on their way camping and hit a pretty good bump. Not sure what happened but he looked to his left and his camper was passing him on the road. Fortunately no one was in the other lane and it went off the road and no one was hurt except his pride. He must have been asleep when he hooked up because he committed about 3 cardinal sins on that day.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #10

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
my son says sears have always been good to him
Sears has never made batteries, but for years sold batteries with the Sears name on them... which could have been made by anyone, to any specifications, which could have changed at any time.

Currently, at least in Canada, Sears doesn't sell automotive batteries (and thus likely not RV batteries) - they farmed out the auto department business to other companies to operate, attached to Sears stores. The "DieHard" branding is still there, but may have nothing to do with the similarly branded batteries sold in the past.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:33 AM   #11

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Great if...
  • you don't plan to leave New Hampshire, and
  • you only care about legality, not safety.
Hilarious... Like I care about legality! (Sarcasm, for those who must be told...EH?) Heck...I don't even plan to VISIT New Hampshire

From what I've seen of Fiberglass Trailers, if you want a breakaway switch it should be mounted (with battery) to the axle, certainly not the tongue.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #12

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
Im not going to pile on Floyd. IF I had functional brakes on my trailer and had a controller etc I would use it;however, I see and understand your point. I have had cases on my trailer where it started swaying and I am able to just tap the controller and slow the back end down and get back in alignment instead of wobbling all over. Of course you can accelerate and other options to boot.

True story- my friend and his wife were on their way camping and hit a pretty good bump. Not sure what happened but he looked to his left and his camper was passing him on the road. Fortunately no one was in the other lane and it went off the road and no one was hurt except his pride. He must have been asleep when he hooked up because he committed about 3 cardinal sins on that day.
You don't need a breakaway switch or a battery on the trailer to operate trailer brakes. Heck... you could even have brakes without having a requirement.

As strange as it may seem, you don't need bureaucrats to exercise good judgement. Would you trust a vehicle built by a politician?
Even John Glenn went from astronaut to space cadet in one election!
Old 04-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #13

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
My Trillium 5500 came from the factory with brakes, but no breakaway switch, it was not required at the time. I will be putting one on sometime this year, but have been towing it for the last 6 years with no problems.

One thing I try to be careful about, is trying to keep my ideas of safety vs what the law says toned down. On a computer it is very hard sometimes to read in sarcasm, or humor and i think sometimes what gets lost in translation on both sides causes us all some grief.

i am a wiring nut, there are specific ways I will do wiring and and only those ways, for me, it's one of the the things I can never let go as good-enough. Everybody has their own things I am sure.

I have seen many things over the years that I would never do, and probably as many that were either should-do's or could-do's.
being able to have a forum where sharing these ideas is easy and friendly is what makes this site so great

Joe
Old 04-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #14

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
OK... time to pile on!
I believe this isn't quite true. Federal law requires a breakaway system if brakes are required. I researched this a few years ago, and this is as I remember.

Tags
battery