Another interior lighting system - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-15-2007, 11:01 PM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Charlie,

Yes, they are switched. I used Single Pole, Single throw mini toggles that can be had from any Radio Hack.

They are behind the stock fixtures. I like to hide them.
Attached Thumbnails
bigburrotoggle.jpg  

Old 03-18-2007, 10:25 PM   #16

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Get Cold Cathodes for reading or serious task lighting.
Gina, I got some 12" cold cathodes and will be fashioning some vacuform fixtures for them to give them that "real fixture" look, but have noticed that they cast a blue-ish light that Lynne doesn't like much. Do you know of a cold-cathode supplier with a "warm-white" 2500-3000K temperature?

--Peter

Old 03-19-2007, 01:03 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
The cold cathodes tubes which I bought, following a lead from this forum, are made to backlight LCD displays such as in laptop computers. They are packaged for use a decorative lighting by the "PC Modder" crowd (electonic equivalents to the guys who used to put neon lights under their cars...), and are only accidentally useful for actual lighting (good lights, anyway...).

The point is that is seems unlikely that cold cathode tubes from this type of source would be available in a "warm" white phosphor.

The only commercial source of cold cathode lamps for our type of use which I have found is Taylor Made, and their Taylobrite product is sold by West Marine, who carries them for 12V boat lighting. Too expensive for me to try yet, but West Marine says they have a 3000K colour temperature.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #18

West Coast USA
Registry
Peter, I have purchased ALL of mine from ebay, from Cool-Cases-USA.

Mine have no blue tint at all, and they are very bright, but not glaring. I buy the dual 12" kit, white.. and they ship very quickly. I am pleased with product and service. At 4.75 a set + shipping, you can hardly go wrong. Install is easy, just wire the invertor into the 12v lines, add a switch and you are good to go!

Be aware that CCFLs come in all kinds of colors colors. Perhaps you got a tinted blue? Most of the blues I have seen are BLUE BLUE and deeper BLUE.

Click image for larger version

Name:	burrofendersigns.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	6932

Here is "Just Them" and nothing else lit around them. I have two led domes behind me, but they aren't washing over there. The CCFLs win everytime.

I would like nice looking fixtures for them.. but I have no skill...
Old 03-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #19

West Coast USA
Registry
Brian,

80 to 90 bones?????

You could by bunches of the 4" ones from my source and stuff them in your own fixture, sell them for 1/2 the price of West Marine and still retire early.

What are they thinking????
Old 03-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I gutted the original 110V florescent in my Scamp and replaced the bulb and ballast with two 12V cold cathode tubes. I purchased the tubes at Fry's Electronics for about $10 each. It's very bright, draws little energy and utilizes a previously worthless fixture since I mostly boondock. The tubes were labeled white, but still have a cool color especially when compared to the 12V halogen fixtures in other parts of trailer. I want to add a piece of "no-color" pink lighting gel to see if the light will "warm" up. Fortunately, I work as a stagehand so I have access to scraps.

Fred
Old 03-19-2007, 10:33 PM   #21

West Coast USA
Registry
I used gels in the lenses of my flourescants in the 13. It helped quite a bit. I think you'll be happy with it.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:15 PM   #22

Alberta
Quote:
..You could by bunches of the 4" ones from my source and stuff them in your own fixture, sell them for 1/2 the price of West Marine and still retire early...
Go for it Gina... you've got a market right here among FiberglassRV members.

Seriously, a marine supply store is not likely the cheapest place to buy anything, and this is a specialty product likely with lots of distributor markup. The cheap tubes are cheap because they are produced somewhere in Asia in massive quantities for a currently popular fad. Popularity really helps pricing!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #23

West Coast USA
Registry
I do enough sahwdren during the day.. I am not in the market to be in the bidnez beyond my steady paycheck and bennies.

I would say these tubes are inexpensive, not cheap. My 13 had them bouncing down the road for hundreds of miles with no effect. The new owner is pleased as punch with them as well.
They were a strong selling point, as they will be if I ever get rid of the 17.

I have one more set to install, and another set of LED Domes for the bathroom, as soon as I find the easiest wire route so I can put the switch on the outside of the bathroom. The domes are waterproof. My switches are not.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:36 AM   #24

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I'm gonna stuff this info into this topic, since battery usage seems to be a concern! The info comes from the CasitaForum

Dirt Cheap Battery Monitor, Nothing fancy here ...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:36 PM   #25

Alberta
Quote:
I would say these tubes are inexpensive, not cheap...
Sure, that might be a better term.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:30 PM   #26

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
On the subject of lighting, the picture of your McMansion is very nicely lit. How did you accomplish that much light?

Kurt & Ann K.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:39 PM   #27

West Coast USA
Registry
Kurt,

It was as is, with just the cold cathodes. I purposely turned off the flash so I could show how bright it is.

Keep in mind that it will be brighter in a Burro due to the white reflective walls. These ones seem brighter to me than the ones in the 13. They are mounted in a different spot and are more out in the open, with more surface area to reflect.

The 13 had them stuck right over the stove and they light the kitchen, but the shadows and blockage from the cabinets prevented them from lighting the whole trailer as brightly.

Here are the same lights in the 13. Quite a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
ccambient.jpg  
Old 03-22-2007, 01:01 AM   #28

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
I pretty much figured that was the case indoors. How about outside? I'd have used lights all over the place to achieve that well lit a picture.
I'm impressed!

Kurt & Ann K.