Another interior lighting system - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-04-2007, 06:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I've been meaning to put up a link to a new led light set we have to install 'under the counter' in our Trillium but I have not been able to find a link to this product on the companys website.

The lights are made/sold by Catalina Lighting and consist of a series of 6 small puck shaped pods each having 4 leds in it. The housings for the set I have are white (don't know if there are any other options). The lights can either be sunken by drilling a 25mm hole for each light, OR surface mounted, as they come with 6 short sleaves to use as a 'cup' to hold the light. There cups can either be screwed (with screws supplied) or double sided tapped to wherever you might want to use them. The system comes with a transformer, on/off switch, and a junction box (to plug each light into).

I wonder how well these lights would work if used as reading lights mounted under a cabinet over a reading area. We plan to use them mainly as accent lighting, as when installed they will almost be invisible untill turned on.

The light set has a model #: 14681-001
DL Model #: K0501
with #'s 12051437 V184 below the model #.

This install, along with a splash of the whitest white paint I can find for the fiberglass'd parts of the inside walls will be our only mod. this season.
Plans also do include removing the Torque Thrust All. wheels for a complete polishing before we hit the road again this year.

OH yeah, almost forgot, I found a set of import sized white mudflaps to install as well.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:28 AM   #2

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Hey Doug!

got any pictures?

sound great!

Old 03-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #3

Trailer: Traveler
The thing with LED's is the out put, I believe is mcd, The higher the number the brighter the lamp, though lower number lamps can be tricked to higher output with a change in the resister value, though at a shorter life span. Most LED's are good for something like 80,000 hours before they start to dim. Also depending on the bulb itself if it's a spot beam or a flood version, will make a difference in how much lite it gives off.
The only reason I know anything about these is I use a lot of them on remote control airplanes for night flying, there are some whites out there that are so bright you will get a near instant headache from looking at them, but boy a single one will light up one heck of an area if it is a spot design. And the amp draw is almost nothing, one of my planes runs 50+ of these high output LED's, all on a single Lipo battery cell of approx 4.2 volts, and 1320 mahs. So on a regular battery you could be looking at a long time.

As you can see it's my first post, I just became the owner of a dinosaur, Holiday Travler is the name I believe, around 25'. I'm going to convert it to a club shack for our airfield, so it's only going to make one road trip, But I do plan on a total rebuild of everything on it before it makes that trip, electric, plumbing, roof, gas system and appliances, and a redo of the whole interior. I think this will be the place to go for any bug a boos I run into.
Wish me luck.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:38 PM   #4

Registry
Hi? ....and WELCOME Brad.
Thanks for the info on the leds. ONLY 80,000 hours you say, eh?

Pity.....
Don't know that I'll be AROUND in 80,000 hours of led light usage.....
Old 03-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #5

Registry
Gina, I'll have to work on the pic's. The lights are still in their box, LOL!!!!
Old 03-05-2007, 10:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft Escape
Brad,

As the new guy you must be an LED lighting expert. Welcome to the group.

On the highway into Victoria, BC there is a very active model aircraft field, but I have never seen any one lighting up the area flying at night. So you must be a real expert.

My interest is LED lights is two-fold - I must admit I am technically challenged when it comes to building LED systems and I have been looking for LED interior lights for my Escape travel trailer and interior and running lights for a 26 ft sailboat I am rebuilding.

For $10 you can buy a 22 LED flashlight that runs on 3 AA batteries, guess I could get a bunch of flashlights to use on those dark and stormy nights, but my boat and trailer would look really tacky with them hanging everywhere.

Most of the automotive/marine bayonet type LED's for sale are not good for interior lighting as they are aimed parallell to the ceiling, I did find one Aussie source for some Luxion type double end bulbs, but have not yet found a trailer/marine ceiling light fitting so equipped for my area lights in the cabin of the boat.

I am considering the Super-Bright 30+ light sources for the overheads in the boat and the Escape. The Escape has 9 - 12 volt cabin lights plus a porch light - so there is no shortage of light, just a very strong draw on the battery, so I am looking at trying to reduce the power draw for area lighting and reading lights and I am looking for warmer light colours.

Where do you source your wide angle luxion type lights? Do you know of any additional sources for the type of lights I and many others based on the postings here need.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:32 AM   #7

West Coast USA
Registry
Hi Doug,

I have just completed the bulk of my LED replacements in the new Burro. I used 4 domes in my 13 and was quite pleased with them, so I tried to duplicate in the new one.

I get these 24 LED domes, which look nice and are a no brainer to install. They flush mount and if you can wire your car battery and know how to tap of existing wires, you are stylin!

I get them from HERE.. They are the top one on the page, under the oliphant!

Click image for larger version

Name:	bigburroleds.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	6656
[attachment=8360:attachm
ent]

I also got 2 of THESE, first item luisted, 194 SMT towers for my overhead kitchen fixture. They are so bright that I can leave the frosted lens on and still have quite useable light!

I will be getting a couple more of the domes. I forgot I have a bathroom now.. it could get a little dark in there

I honestly do not use the incandescants anymore, even tho I have left them intact. The LEDs are soothing, and along with cold cathodes for task lighting, I have no want for brightness or power.

This place has all kinds of drop in replacements for your incandescant bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails
bigburroleds2.jpg   bigburroleds3.jpg  

Old 03-07-2007, 01:14 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 13 ft Scamp / 1991 Nissan Pickup
Gina are the 24 led domes bright enough to read by? Would you compare them to a 60 watt bulb as far as brightness?
They sure look nice, I do wonder how they would mount in a 13 Scamp with the fuzzy lining they put on the walls. Any ideas?
Thanks
Duane
Old 03-07-2007, 08:14 AM   #9

Trailer: Traveler
Gerry, I would go with what Gina suggested as a basic drop in replacement. Ok yeah I do have a bit of experience with using LED's, so I have the ability to convert existing lamp housings to LED. I tend to be a cheapskate, I can usually build it myself rather then go out and buy it. Why else would I have bought a 20 year old trailer?
To me it's just a challange, to take nothing and make something out of it. Granted I have a little experience in most of the fields that will be needed to rebuild the proverbial sow into a purse, but call me stupid, I love this kinda stuff.

As for night flying, it sure wakes up the locals seeing a "UFO" in the night sky. Most of my nightfliers are set up as a normal airplane would be, but the one with 50 LED's on it that I've rigged with 555 timers and a processer that controls the lamps flashing on and off, tends to get peoples attention.

Wait till you see what I do with the trailer.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:39 AM   #10

West Coast USA
Registry
Duane, I would say 1 is equal to a 40 watt bulb. If your eyes are good, you could probably read by them, but I can't LOL!

With the two that are ganged together, yes, you could easily.

The drop ins provide usable light, I don't think you could read by them for long, however. The light is well suited to keep from bumping into things, and over the sink, you could do tasks. The problem with LEDS is that even the wide angle ones are highly focused, so, if you only have a dome on, turn your back, you are staring into the black hole.

Get Cold Cathodes for reading or serious task lighting.

Brad, I could make them too, but for 10 bones each, it's hardly worth the bother, unless, like you mentioned, you do it for the challenge. The domes look nice and are waterproof, someone else did the assembly.. two wires, a little solder and heatshrink.. good to go!

The carpet on the scamp walls ..... Velcro???? If you left the lines short enuff to secure the domes against a current fixture, you may be able to stick them up and not have them flop.

There is a sticky backing on the domes I never use. Looks a lot like the stuff that is on the back of that foil tape for sealing. Grey.. lethal stick! Might be some sort of VHB putty?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:35 AM   #11

Name: Rob
Trailer: 1980 Bolar 1700
Massachusetts
I've been using the battery powered LED puck lights. I picked them up at my local BJs for $16 +/- for the three-pack. They come with both peel and stick and velcro, they pivot and have two levels of illumination. I haven't put them in the trailer yet, but I have used them around the house a lot and they work very well. The advantage other than no wiring is you can pull them off the mounting base and use them as a flashlight.

This is the same brand I got:
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product...=macs=MP6NEXTAG
Old 03-07-2007, 08:40 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 13 ft Scamp / 1991 Nissan Pickup
Thanks Gina, that answers a lot, looks like a couple of the dome lights and a couple of the cold cathodes will be tried out when I get my trailer. At least I have some time to get educated on this.
I do wonder what the velcro will do to the carpet on the scamp walls when it is removed.
Have fun on your outing this weekend.
Duane
Old 03-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #13

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
Pat and I have put battery operated puck led's in the overhead cupboards and in the closets. These are the type that will turn on when you tap them...sometimes at night a little bit of extra light helps out,

Paul
Old 03-15-2007, 10:37 PM   #14

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 94 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Gina,

Thanks for posting your new LEDs. I've been reading posts for days trying to find what I need, and those sure like it. For my purposes, I need to switch the lights on/off. Did you set yours up for that? I didn't see any switches in the photos. If they are switched, what did you use?