Another "wall paper" question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 1984 Perris Pacer ('Tillie')
I'm trying to decide what to use to replace the "rat fur" I had had pull off my pacer. I just found marine foam backed vinyl, comes in lots of colors and can be put up with spray adhesive. Has anyone tried this or looked into it? Wonder if it would give enough insulation (1/4"). Would love to have any feedback from everyone.
Vicki
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:02 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I just found marine foam backed vinyl, comes in lots of colors and can be put up with spray adhesive.
Wonder if it would give enough insulation (1/4").
Link to Outback/Trillium/Escape comparison
I believe that you may have found similar material to what Trillium(US) and Escape are using in their interiors.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Vicki, I think for TX you are probably good to go, I doubt you plan to spend a winter in Alaska so it would probably work out. Keep us up on your project. The only problem I think that might come up, is the spray adhesive odor, I think in a little space it's gonna be pretty powerful! Is there something else it can be attached with? Either way a good respirator should keep you safe and then let it air out really good. Good Luck!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I wouldn't choose that foam/vinyl "marine" product, personally, because it is (typically) an open-celled foam on the back. This means that it can soak up water/condensation. I would use Ensolite (or similar), because it is closed-cell foam, and won't soak up water. I think this is preferable for the inside of a camper (or a boat, for that matter).

I'm not sure how the insulation compares, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Ensolite has more insulative value (but that would bear checking).

IR Foam Specialty (linked to the left or searchable) sells Ensolite-type foam. I don't think they sell the kind with the white facing though, so you would probably paint it (but there may be such a faced product available). If you are ordering Ensolite from IR Foam, you can also get it slightly thicker than the original 3/16" if you want to. I would think 1/4" would still be plenty conformable.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
IR Foam Specialty (linked to the left or searchable) sells Ensolite-type foam. I don't think they sell the kind with the white facing though, so you would probably paint it (but there may be such a faced product available). If you are ordering Ensolite from IR Foam, you can also get it slightly thicker than the original 3/16" if you want to. I would think 1/4" would still be plenty conformable.

Raya

Unfortunately, I found the IR Foam Specialty website to be more confusing than informative. There are 18 "Ensolite"-designated products from which to choose. Any idea which one is appropriate for our applications?
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Unfortunately, I found the IR Foam Specialty website to be more confusing than informative. There are 18 "Ensolite"-designated products from which to choose. Any idea which one is appropriate for our applications?
What Raya said is right. The marine/vinyl foam is open cell and would be subject to water absorption. The foam Escape is using (from previous threads - check for sure with Escape) is also open celled - for what it is worth.

I've spent much time with the people at IR Foam - gotten samples and all. Call and ask for samples of the MLC, FBC, and AHC foams. These are closed cell ensolite and would be suitable for insulation. They would have to be primed and painted. 1/4' or 3/8 inch would be best - get your samples in 3/8 and make up your mind as to which would be easiest to work with for you.

I am going to be doing the inside of our Fiber Stream with 1/4" AHC - denser, better insulation/ firmer surface for painting than the other two.

Good luck and keep us posted.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 1984 Perris Pacer ('Tillie')
Thanks for the replies everyone! Had not looked at the marine vinyl and didn't know it was open cell, sure don't want to use that. We have several foam companies here in town,I think I might just wonder by this week and see what they have to offer.
Vicki
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:13 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler
Registry
The marine foam backed vinyl headliner is what they are using in the new Escape Trailers. I asked them for a sample. I haven't replaced the interior of my Boler yet but I did buy the foam backed vinyl to do it with. I figure that if it's good enough for new trailers, and good enough for boats that are around way more water than my trailer will be, then it's good enough for me!
BrendaD is offline   Reply With Quote