Any Danger of Side wall Collapse - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2008, 05:24 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Thumbs up

I've been keeping the Lady-Bugs roof mostly cleared of snow but a layer of hard crust is on the top which I will leave and about 5 inches of snow but with the record breaking winter snows the snow has built up on the sides of the Boler.
There is a stiff arm inside from floor to roof but should I be concerned about side wall pressure?
Last weekend the Grand-kids were sledding down the small hill and they were going up onto the side of the camper about 3 feet, to the roof line, and I didn't think this was a good idea, so I had to play GRINCH and say "no more of that"

Any danger of Side wall damage with the snow all around it????

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boler_Gone.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	11819
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe
Hi Gerry,
You did the right thing. I known that our "Priceless" Fiberglass beauties need to be free of as much of anything that comes close to them. With freezing snow and ice Fiberglass can become brittle. So I am sure the sides are safe, I would still remove the snow from the side all the way around from the ground to the roof top. Of course remove the snow from your roof too. If your grand kids started walking and worse jumping up and down on the top it could have been a disaster I hope that helps you!

Dave in Michigan
Dave Baston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
Gerry
I love those pictures but at the same time I'm sorry you get to take them.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:12 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

[quote]... and I didn't think this was a good idea, so I had to play GRINCH and say "no more of that"

Any danger of Side wall damage with the snow all around it????

Attachment 11819

That's your egg???
Old 03-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Unless you have a helicopter I don't see how you'll get to it to clear it off.
I will no longer complain about out snow....
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I would be concerned about leakage.. or.. condensation not being able to escape off the windows as the snow melts, temps go up and the weep holes are blocked.

I had my roof buried in snow last month and ended up with a nasty puddle on one side of my rig. I can't say for sure, but the weight of the snow may have tweaked the sides and just top enough to break a window seal..just enough to allow a leak at the top.

The rig has been in several downpours since and showed no signs of leakage. Right now I have to chalk it up to "Oh well, that was weird".. but I intended to reseal the window the leak came from anyway.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 1977 Boler 17 ft
I would keep as much snow away from it as possible. My 1976 16ft Boler has a sagging roof which I assume is from British Columbia snow sitting on it year after year. Someone has removed the kitchen cupboard supports and that side of the trailer has sagged. The bathroom wall has kept the other side in place. I have put in tempoarary supports to raise it back up. I am also using a type of jacking pole I have to slowlly bring everything back into postion. It is working well and even the door is almost lined up again as the roof goes back into position. Once everthing is back to normal I will put in some proper braces for the kitchen cabinets and it should be fine. I now keep it in my carport for the winter to keep the snow from building up. So from experience I would keep all the snow I can off the trailer.
Neil W' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Hi Gerry,
You did the right thing. I known that our "Priceless" Fiberglass beauties need to be free of as much of anything that comes close to them. With freezing snow and ice Fiberglass can become brittle. So I am sure the sides are safe, I would still remove the snow from the side all the way around from the ground to the roof top. Of course remove the snow from your roof too. If your grand kids started walking and worse jumping up and down on the top it could have been a disaster I hope that helps you!

Dave in Michigan

With over 10 feet of snow this year, the wife and I are getting sick of shoveling the snow.
The snowblower all but died about 3 storms ago but the #12 (# 14 for the wife) alluminum shovel still seams to work as long as my back and arms do.
Not worried about condensation too much as the 1980 Boler is all fiberglass and nothing inside other then the cupboard doors and wires and appliances it is all fiberglass.
Aliitle water on the floor is no big deal.
I figured with the snow all around and even on the roof it would be like an igloo and the snow would actually help support itslef but with the roof cleared I started to wonder about the walls.
Getting down to the trailer isn't too bad because there are layers of crust in the snow so unless you break through this it is only 2 feet deep but a few times I went though to my chest and you have to swim out.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Attached Thumbnails
Old_Fashion_snow_thrower.JPG   8_ft_Banks.JPG  

Old 03-06-2008, 12:30 AM   #9

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Lynne, on seeing your egg somewhere under the snow with the clothes lines barely pricking through; "So tell me where it is where not moving?"
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Lynne, on seeing your egg somewhere under the snow with the clothes lines barely pricking through; "So tell me where it is where not moving?"
Lynne, that pile of snow just to the right of the clothes line is my camper.
What a differance a day makes 2 days ago it got almost to 50 degrees and the blue tarp was showing through but then yesterday another Ice storm and it is gone again.
Today in the low 40's but another big snow event for Sat & Sunday.
Western Maine...Don't like the weather.....wait a minute!
We have gotten 147 inches(13 feet) of snow this year to date and March and half of April can be snow months.
I am heading for the Coast of Maine for a week. I have all roofs shoveled and hope house sitter will be able to get in driveway to check on the cat and clear off the Jacuzzi cover at least if we get over a foot.
The whole state of Maine has run so low on salt for the roads they are only treating interstate and all 2ndary roads are just getting sand...what a mess....
Don't think about the bad winter this year...think how lucky we've been the last 7 years with less then 5 feet a year.
Gerry
Old 03-06-2008, 07:24 AM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
When all that snow melts, I hope your Lady Bug floats!

CindyL
Old 03-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Gee whiz - and I thought our winters were bad. In our 29 winters in Alaska, we've only had one with that much snow. Sure hope you don't get too many of those heavy March and April storms - you need a BREAK !!
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:45 PM   #13

Yikes! We have gotten a foot os snow today, and thats on the level. There's three feet drifted in the driveway, and we're supossed to get another foot over night..... Lookout Gerry! it's probably comming your way.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #14

Oh! By the way
Doesn't Spring start next week?
Jim
Old 03-08-2008, 08:53 PM   #15

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Yikes! We have gotten a foot os snow today, and thats on the level. There's three feet drifted in the driveway, and we're supossed to get another foot over night..... Lookout Gerry! it's probably comming your way.
Guess you don't want to hear from B.C.'s beautiful Gulf Islands, do you? If it's any consolation, it's supposed to rain for the next four days. Highs about 10C.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #16

Yeah! our water here is just a little harder.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:20 AM   #17

Well, I have been away from the computer for a week....NO Not a chalange from the wife....AND NO I haven't been outside for a week shoveling snow.
Been to the coast of Maine for some R&R and happy to say they do not have any snow.
The snow has settled a bit and I can see 1/3 of the top of camper and it looks like it still is intact but the spring clean up weeks being only 7 weeks away I do not believe we will get the lady bug out from its cold storage.
The thaw has begun and being away for a week gave the melt water to build up so that the garage has flooded so interior doors are now frozen in 1/2 of ice.
Worked for 2 hours chipping ice last evening to flow water away from garage door but we're getting snow again today.....AHHHH Maine winters...you gotta love em.?.?.?
Gerry