Any rot in FG trailers? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #29

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Well said Ladies!

Old 02-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #30

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Sweat equity actually smells pretty sweet!

Damp rotten wood, however, does not

Having had both types I concur that maintenance is important. The rot in the Amerigo stems from leaking window seals and the rear storage hatch. But that's only because it doesn't have a roof vent - which would have been leaking as well.
The '55 Westerner was all about the window seals.
They all leak and they all suffer rot.
As they say in Automotive circles - speed costs money...how fast ya wanna go?

Peter
in Denver
Attached Thumbnails
100_3370.JPG  

Old 02-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #31
Alm

Name: Alex
Trailer: In the market
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Crowl View Post
As they say in Automotive circles - speed costs money...how fast ya wanna go?
It will not be going anywhere, literally ... My situation is perhaps not typical, being neither camper, nor RV-er. Have done a lot of camping (without car or trailer), and got a little tired of it. The "equity" will be taken to a trailer park and left there for as many years as possible. Thus, towing properties (aerodynamics, mpg etc) aren't too important either.

Resale value ... probably not important again. The place is remote, and even though prices are generally higher, the local market is narrow, and taking it back home after some years might not be practical.

OTH, the comfort of staying inside is important - the above comparison to feeling like in a bat cave in 13ft trailer - was a good one. Beside subjective claustrophobic feeling, there are volume/ventilation considerations - similarly to sleeping in a very small 7ft x 7ft bedroom - not enough air. The area can get too windy for staying outside, but sunny and warm, and there will be no air conditioner - it's an off-grid place. I've looked at size numbers a lot, and it appears to me that wide-body 18ft-19ft (total length with hitch) is the bare minimum in this case. Besides, unit smaller than 18ft means (usually, not always) that bed and table can be used only alternatively - you have to fold up one to unfold the other. Casita 17 and Scamp 16 do allow having both bed and dinette at the same time, not in all floor plans, and access to bed is blocked at the ends a little, and bed pillow would be next to propane stove.

No, I don't need a washer-dryer, and guys, don't get your hopes high on watching my Sat TV if you happen to park next to me - there will not be any Sat TV

Yes, I can repair electrical, and plumbing, and fiberglass, and replace carpet (most likely will get rid of it - it collects sand and dust), and can pull out and put back windows or doors - as long as it doesn't weigh more than 50 lbs. Those are all minor things to me.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #32

Registry
Alex are you planning on building some sort of shelter over your trailer once it has found it permanent home?
Might be a good idea to preserve the trailer when your not there.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #33
Alm

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily R. View Post
Alex are you planning on building some sort of shelter over your trailer once it has found it permanent home?
Possibly, but not very likely. The worst thing that happens when I'm not there (short of gale force winds), is some rain, can be heavy but doesn't last more than a few weeks intermittently, and there will be warm and dry after the rain again. Re-caulking the roof (on "sticky") after it's been checked under the aluminum, and doing this again in a few years should be enough, IMO. I have a feeling that FG roof would need this kind of shelter more than aluminum roof, because FG does degrade in UV exposure.

Btw, I've checked briefly the situation with pre-purchase "professional inspection" - no good. Now I understand why most people don't do it. They offer either
a) Full inspection (from under-carriage through appliances, electrical etc, to the roof), BUT... most of those things I'm either not concerned about, or can fix myself later. What I am concerned (in "sticky") is inter-wall spaces condition after water has settled in some time ago - rot or mold or both. All they do about this is checking the caulking and doing "moisture meter inspection" - in other words, they find active or recent leaks (which might have long disappeared by now, leaving rot and mold instead). Cost of Full inspection is about $400 with Canadian taxes.
b) Selective areas - either brakes, or leaks, or propane lines etc. Cost from $160 (I think with breaks this includes servicing also, not just inspection).

They don't open the walls or roof, as I understood. At least, not within those specified services. The seller might not let them do it, too
Old 02-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #34

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
Then I suggest an Air Stream...or the more economical Silver Streak / Avion/Argosy.
Crowned riveted roof sheds water and is usually tight save for any orifices.
Resale will always be good.
The larger models actually bring less money and in your situation of not towing it would be a very good value.
I've seen really nice ready to use Silver Streaks for $3,500 to $5,000.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alm View Post
The worst thing that happens when I'm not there (short of gale force winds), is some rain, can be heavy but doesn't last more than a few weeks intermittently, and there will be warm and dry after the rain again.
This doesn't sound like the Lower Mainland to me!

Where are you planning on parking your trailer?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #36
Alm

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Crowl View Post
The larger models actually bring less money and in your situation of not towing it would be a very good value.
I've seen really nice ready to use Silver Streaks for $3,500 to $5,000.
Thanks, will look into those. So far my impression has been same as yours - used trailers larger than 20ft often cost less than same "Stickies" under 20ft. Must be due to fuel costs doubled in the last 3 years (tripled in the last 10 years). Airstreams, OTH, cost higher than others, which I partially attribute to the "cult vehicle" factor. A lot of memories to some folks...

Sorry for offtopic (Stickies) - I'm still deciding; in 5-6 years the market will change, a lot of big units are being made in FG now. But today the only used FG model within my preferred size group would be Bigfoot 17.5 (yes, "only" 17.5 but it's very wide), not much choice here. I don't know anything else similar to BF currently in production.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #37

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I don't know anything else similar to BF currently in production.
Escape and you can get a 19 footer too, with double-pane windows!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #38

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
It will not be going anywhere, literally ... My situation is perhaps not typical, being neither camper, nor RV-er. Have done a lot of camping (without car or trailer), and got a little tired of it. The "equity" will be taken to a trailer park and left there for as many years as possible.
In other words, a small "Mobile Home". If I were going to do this, then I'd look at a 31' Airstream Sovereign,
25' Bigfoot Rear Bedroom, or maybe a 20' Bigfoot 5th Wheel.
Links provided for illustration purposes only.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #39

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
If you have utilities hookups and need no holding tanks, maybe a FEMA trailer is in your future. Only $1500 on ebay. But you'd have to get it towed from Louisiana.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #40

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Two new trailer manufacturers making composite trailers that are completely 100% rot free since they are wood free.
http://www.goevergreenrv.com/files/3...ment_Broch.pdf
Floorplans | Earthbound RV
both are less than 25' and very lightweight, less than 3500 lbs but very expensive-$30-40K
Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #41
Alm

British Columbia
Thanks, Escape added to the list.

Chief, - thanks, but it looks like Airstreams and other silver-colored streamline-shaped units are too popular with collectors. Few foot shorter Bigfoot can be had for less, and of more recent vintage.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #42

Name: Brandy
If you just parking it don't get a fiberglass, cause then we won't get to see it and it would be a shame to let it just sit there.