Any rot in FG trailers? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #41
Alm

Name: Alex
Trailer: In the market
British Columbia
Thanks, Escape added to the list.

Chief, - thanks, but it looks like Airstreams and other silver-colored streamline-shaped units are too popular with collectors. Few foot shorter Bigfoot can be had for less, and of more recent vintage.
Alm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #42

Trailer: 77 Scamp
If you just parking it don't get a fiberglass, cause then we won't get to see it and it would be a shame to let it just sit there.
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #43
Alm

British Columbia
Oh, don't worry - it won't be anything spectacular to look at... Won't be any antique (too expensive for me), just some old trailer.

FG models are growing in numbers; the major manufacturer Skyline has been making FG units for the last few years. I mention Skyline only because they old and big company, though their older aluminum units sometimes rot away in 7-8 years. I figure that a new "sticky" has to be re-caulked after the first 3 years to prevent that, and then again every 3 years or so. Now Skyline have FG model Nomad 1811 (20 or 21 ft, don't remember): 2009 Nomad 1811 Travel Trailer by Skyline at RVWholesalers.com | RV Trailer and Product News , the price for 2009 barely used unit is about 15K; aluminum versions of the same Nomad can be found for 11K new, with more square shape (one-piece roof, though there is still AC and other openings - but they are there on any FG unit too).
Old 02-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #44

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
There are many Conventional slab sided trailers with a thin layer of fiberglass as the exterior skin, which often will develop bubbles in that skin with time. . They are not the molded FGRVs as we so enjoy on this forum.

They claim to be super aerodynamic because the have rolled or angled the front a bit more than they used to be. That front still pushes a lot of air. The sharp cornors create turbulance and = more wind resistance. The flat rear of the trailer creates a vacumn and pulls air along with it, which also affects fuel mileage in a negative way.

The flat sides act as a sail in cross winds and react very negatively when passed by an 18 wheeler.

The tops on most of them tend to leak, especially around the edges where they meet the sides. Water can get between the walls and rot wood and/or cause mold. It can be there for a long time before being detected.

When we were actively camping, years ago, next to the last trailer we owned was an Argosy by Air Stream. It was a dream to tow, compared to the several conventional trailers we had previously. We put a lot of miles on it, behind our Chevy van that was modified for towing.

Because the kids were growing and wanting to bring friends along we traded the Argosy for a Fleetwood "Terry" which was larger and heavier.
We made one trip with it from Atlanta to Orlando Florida. The towing part of that trip was a nightmare, compared to the many miles we towed the Argosy. When we got back home it went on a rented space at a local lake and remained there until we eventually brought it home and sold it.

All that to say this: For towing and covering a lot of ground, as comfortably as possible, the molded FGRVs are heads and tails above conventional trailers. For "Living", the conventionals offer considerably more room and storage, but more maintenance.

Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #45

Name: Wayne
Trailer: actively shopping for a 5th wheel
Manitoba
Alm,
You said "]It will not be going anywhere, literally ... The "equity" will be taken to a trailer park and left there for as many years as possible. Thus, towing properties (aerodynamics, mpg etc) aren't too important either."

If that's the case and it will be parked, why not revisit a fiberglass 5th whl. Lots of space in one of those, I'll bet. Listed on this site is a fixer upper 23 foot 5th wheel that Freddy has for sale in Vancouver or close to there. Hire someone to haul it to your spot, set it up and start fixing to your heart's content.

Wayne
Wayne Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #46
Alm

British Columbia
Kip, - thanks. What category does Bigfoot fall in - is it molded FG, or not molded? Their website only says "2-piece fiberglass shell".

Wayne - I had probably steered this topic too far away from this forum interests already. Briefly, why not 5th wheels - because they have wasted space where overhang bedroom is. Somehow I don't like the idea of bed in that "rabbit hole", and there might not be a good spot for bed in the main space. So, 23ft 5th wheel to me will be an equivalent of 18ft "cube" unit (that needs some re-arrangement of furniture, in addition to all other possible pains of an old trailer).
Old 02-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #47

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool 99% of Bigfoot Trailers are Molded Fiberglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alm View Post
What category does Bigfoot fall in - is it molded FG, or not molded? Their website only says "2-piece fiberglass shell".
Just before the Bigfoot factory closed in 2008, they introduced one line of trailers (the 3000 series, I believe) that were conventional construction with slide-outs and fiberglass end caps. These don't appear on their revived website, which tells me that the new owners abandoned that design. I doubt that very many "stick-built" Bigfoots were actually built. The B1500 series and B2500 series are all molded fiberglass.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #48

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Kip in Ga. is right, us Molded fiberglass fans on the forum here make a big distinction with the mass produced delamination prone sheet fiberglass with the moisture prone Luan (wood) backing. Google rv fiberglass delamination.

For Rot proof, no wood, this trailer wins (In my opinion)
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote