Any suggestions for rain noise. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #21

Trailer: Compact Jr
What you could perhaps do is put up a "rain fly"--a canvas "tent" over the trailer. You'd need to do some engineering with poles and ropes and tarps--but I bet it'd cut down on the rain noise considerably.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #22

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Just lie there and think about what the rain would be like if you were in a small tent, worrying about leaky walls and flooding floors and wind collapsing the tent. Then pull the blankets snug around your shoulders and fall gratefully asleep to the music of rain on the roof.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #23

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Can't imagine not liking to hear rain on the roof. I sleep with an iPod and earphones every night with a rain/thunderstorm playing in a continous loop.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #24

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack maloney View Post
Just lie there and think about what the rain would be like if you were in a small tent, worrying about leaky walls and flooding floors and wind collapsing the tent. Then pull the blankets snug around your shoulders and fall gratefully asleep to the music of rain on the roof.
Well said.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #25

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
I just returned from a few days staying at 'Camp Walmart' in Cape Cod (Falmouth). It rained heavily on and off during 2 nights and it was lovely. Thankfully it was sunny and warm during the days.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:36 AM   #26

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Funny

I have the same problem on boats. Someone drops a block on the deck and it is like living inside a drum.

One idea I had was to put a rail system around the top of a camper and stretch a canvas awning across the top--mostly to keep it cooler, but also for noise reduction, and possibly as a water catchment system.

I also thought a rail system like a luggage rack might be good for mounting a bunch of solar panels--which need to be kept cool, so air flow underneath is good and that too would add a buffer to sound, and keep the camper cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margie Johnson View Post
Was in Edmonton and my site was under a tree. Whenever the wind shook the tree it sounded like rocks being thrown on top of my Boler. What can I do about this? (other than not camp under a tree in the rain!
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:37 AM   #27

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
After living in the desert, any rain is good rain.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #28

Trailer: Casita Patriot Standard
Here in Texas, and I live in East Tx where it is normally pretty green, we have been in such drought that all our dogwoods and many of our big old oaks are dying. Going to be a landscape hanger. I would so LOVE to hear rain on my roof.

Karen
Karen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #29

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
I'd love to send it your way. Here in Minnesota, our property is so water-logged there is nowhere for water to go (and we're situated on high ground!). Last Saturday we got 2 inches in an hour. The lower part of our driveway was flooded to a depth too deep for a car. Thankfully we have the Jeep, and the culverts drained it all off by the next day. Then I had to get out the Bobcat to fix the wash-outs and re-shape the driveway.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #30

Trailer: Casita Patriot Standard
Darnelle,

We do get rains like that... just not in the last year. I've been nearly sucked into a culvert trying it clear it so that we didn't loose the driveway from flooding.

The extreme weather this year has caused a lot of hardship in different ways. Hope you all dry out and we get wet!

Karen
Karen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #31

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
This discussion reminds me of sailing in the Caribbean. We try to take a sailing/diving trip every year in the BVIs. Every night, each couple goes to sleep in their respective cabins with their vent open. When at a mooring or at anchor, the boat will always point into the breeze. And the vents all open in that direction, so that the vent lid scoops the air into the cabins. Very refreshing and relaxing. Well, every night a little rain cloud will pass over, and each and every person on the boat will vet a few drops in the face. Just as you reach up to close the vent, you'll hear the faint "thump" of everyone else's vent closing. At home, I would never want to be awakened by water dripping on my face... But we kind of look forward to it when we are sailing. Just another reminder that we are far from home, and are having a great time.

Maybe you can learn to associate being awakened by rain drops with being on a relaxing camping trip!

Good luck
Old 08-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #32

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
I love to hear rain on the roof but some eggs are noisier than others when it really rains hard. In our '82 Scamp, it is deafening. Ear plugs can't shut it out. We have ensolite on the walls, which doesn't seem to block noise as well as "rat fur." I would think that eggs with double wall construction are probably more soundproof too.
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #33

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen M View Post
Darnelle,

We do get rains like that... just not in the last year. I've been nearly sucked into a culvert trying it clear it so that we didn't loose the driveway from flooding.
Karen
I can relate! I've been up to my armpits in sticks, muck and water trying to keep ahead of the beavers who insist a blocked culvert is the only good culvert!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen M View Post
The extreme weather this year has caused a lot of hardship in different ways. Hope you all dry out and we get wet!
Karen
With the economy and congress as they are, at least Mother Nature could be nice!
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #34

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I think the solution to rain noise is a roof rack with solar panels. The rain hits the panels not the roof. Or a small awning could be rigged which might be even quieter.

I've also thought about gluing a layer of high density foam to the inside of a roof, folllowed by another layer of fiberglass whigh would stiffen up the and absorb some sound. There are spray coatings. Lizard, for example, and stick on products, like DynaMatt that reduce noise also.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #35

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
maybe listening to one of these albums would do the trick?

Old 08-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #36

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
There are paint type coatings that you can apply to reduce noise and insulate. Take a look at HY-Tech Thermal Solutions or Mascoat.com.

Steve
slbran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:48 AM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Plops not drops

I don't think that Margie was complaining about regular rain. It is the water that accumulates on the tree branch and then come down all at once with a big plop. If the rain is such that the plops are too far apart or irregular, that can be disturbing. Regular sounds can be adjusted to, but irregular ones are more difficult. I don't know what to say, except that one does adjust after a while...

We have the same problem in our house under the pine trees when it snows. The snow accumulates, bends the branch down, the snow slides off, and plop on the roof.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #38

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
ahh your not talking about the steady rain fall, its those sudden splashes when the wind blows and shakes it off the leaves. sort of startles you awake huh?

well,,,,
#1 as you said,, stay out from under trees
#2 those ear plugs
#3 just roll over and thank god for rinsing the dust off for you and go back to sleep

not really anything you can do about it
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #39

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Several years ago my wife & I had gone to bed but not yet asleep when it started to rain. One or the other of us said "wouldn't it be neat to be in the camper & hear the rain on the roof?" We got up & went out to the camper & went to bed.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #40

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a canopy over the Uhaul. It's not so much because of the rain noise, but as a temporary fix of the windows leaking. Last month we were in a campground that had many oak trees, another camper commented how it was a good idea to have the canopy because of the noise from the falling acorns. We hadn't planned on that benefit!!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote