Anybody in Buffalo, NY area to teach me how to repack bearings? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Anybody in Buffalo, NY area to teach me how to repack bearings?

Hi,

My name is Wendy and I live in Buffalo/niagara area of NY. I was wondering if there are folks on this site who live near me that I could drive to for help learning how to repack my Dexter EZ Lube bearings. Trailer is a 2012; as far as I know, PO did not do at all, and all I've done is use the EZ lube to pump in new grease as old came out.

RV shop wants $218. Yikes! I honestly want to learn myself, but would not be able to do alone without a teacher the first time. Videos are great, but not a live human.

Cheers!

Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Seems kind of high to me. I pay a regular auto repair shop to do mine at less than half that amount. I don't think this is something that requires specialized RV knowledge.

On the other hand, there's absolutely nothing wrong with learning to do it yourself!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
You might check with these people.

About | LOE Trailer Sales, INC: Buffalo, NY
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
U Tube has many wheel bearing repack videos. Any tire shop should be able to do the job also. It's not a tough job and knowing how to do it yourself is always a good thing. When you get the parts, I would get an extra set of seals to keep handy for roadside emergencies.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:43 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Wendy, you have the right idea, having someone show you, actually talk you through it as you do the work, is the best way to learn. Unfortunately I'm on the other end of the state. Nothing hard about doing that axle other than a different type of lock arrangement for the nut. Keep an eye on the rubber end caps, mine were old and damaged. A trailer / truck cap dealer near me had all the parts except the lock washer being available on it's own. Had to buy a bearing kit to get it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:58 PM   #6

New York
Registry
Never thought to call LOE, Steve. They're right up the road from me. Now for letting me sit in or work alongside them, not sure how much sweet talkin' that might take. I could certainly try. 😀

I called yet another RV shop, $140 so $78 less, but the guy had the personality of a wet dishrag. I'll try LOE unless I can find a guy to help me out. I honestly want to learn to do myself; just another tool I'll have to work with plus I love doing mechanical stuff. I usually end up doing things a few times before I figure it out but then I'm very satisfied in the end.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:22 PM   #7

New York
You know the story; Labor rate $40/hr, if you watch $50/ hr, if you give advice $60/hr
Old 08-08-2015, 06:20 AM   #8

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
You know the story; Labor rate $40/hr, if you watch $50/ hr, if you give advice $60/hr
You forgot to add "if you help $75/hr"...
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:05 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Also add... If done at an RV shop, $125/hr.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:07 AM   #10

Also to add... There are mobile mechanics out there that will come to your house and do the job. I'm sure by offering a cup of coffee or a cold drink your watching would be "allowed".

Most garages don't allow customers in the work areas anymore.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:45 AM   #11

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I do *most* of the work myself, and take the dirty bearings into a local garage to get the old grease cleaned out and new grease packed. Read all about it on my web site http://scamp.n0kfb.org/ and click on 'Tech Tips'.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:36 AM   #12

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
There are also some great books available that show all types of RV maintenance procedures. I have a Trailer Life manual that the previous owner of my trailer bought and it has very clear photos and written instructions that should be easy for someone with some mechanical aptitude to follow.

The Trailer Life RV Repair & Maintenance Manual (Livingston) recommends repacking every 25,000 to 30,000 miles. Most of us do it more often.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:05 PM   #13

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita17
British Columbia
bearing grease

I don't want to downplay the importance of maintenance.
Having said that, unless your rig has been on the road constantly since it was new, I have to doubt that the bearings are in dire need of grease. I don't know what an ez lube bearing is, but if I were a female who didn't like getting grease under her nails, (I'm a male who isn't crazy about it) I would inquire about bearing buddies. These are plastic bearing covers fitted with a grease nipple. With these in place, you can see when the grease is gone and never have to worry about whether it needs it. If you are traveling constantly,carry a small grease gun in a zip lock bag. You can fill it in minutes without worrying about whether or not the wheels need grease.
hanniganman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:07 PM   #14

New York
Bill, doesn't your Casita have the EZ lube axle? Ours does. Bearing Buddies are intended mainly for boat trailers where the wheels get submerged in water. My opinion, as a retired truck mechanic, is that it is a good idea to pull the bearings, clean, inspect, repack, and inspect the brakes at whatever interval you are comfortable with. My opinion only, others may vary.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:25 PM   #15

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita17
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Bill, doesn't your Casita have the EZ lube axle? Ours does. Bearing Buddies are intended mainly for boat trailers where the wheels get submerged in water. My opinion, as a retired truck mechanic, is that it is a good idea to pull the bearings, clean, inspect, repack, and inspect the brakes at whatever interval you are comfortable with. My opinion only, others may vary.
How many miles before you would suggest it necessary to check bearings?
I'm thinking a 2012 scamp has a high probability of not requiring bearing attention at this time. Just my opinion.
hanniganman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:58 PM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanniganman View Post
How many miles before you would suggest it necessary to check bearings?
I'm thinking a 2012 scamp has a high probability of not requiring bearing attention at this time. Just my opinion.
Dexter recommends every 12 months or 12,000 miles.

Trailer wheel bearings are not protected as well as your car bearings and they can be damaged by water just sitting in the yard, so miles are not the only issue.

For those of us who have had bearings that were fairly new fail I would suggest checking them once a year no matter how many miles on the trailer or take your chances with Murphy's Law.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:59 PM   #17

As mentioned, Bearing Buddies were intended for boat trailers. There is no indication whatsoever of when you "Need" more grease and just adding grease will fill up the hub and it can blow the seal as well as get grease in your brakes.

If it is a new-to-you rig, and there is no written documentation as to when the bearings were last re-packed (Sellers word DOES NOT count here) right now is the time to get them repacked. My rule of thumb is every year or 12,000 miles, but we tow about 12,000 miles a year anyway.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:17 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Packing Bearings

This job does require a modicum level of skill.
I assume your 13 ft has no trailer brakes. Even so, you don't want to be pumping so much grease in the bearings that it oozes out the inner seals.
That only makes a mess, and is not good for the tires.
Disassembly, cleaning, and repacking with clean grease is best.
It will require removal of the inner seal which is likely to be damaged, so a new seal is always recommended.
Seating the bearings to proper clearance is critical.
Do you have a level floor or driveway? Do you have a good jack, and know how to use it? Tools? Can you handle the weight of a wheel and tire?
Once you have the bearings properly cleaned and greased; you can check if they are running OK by feeling the hubs after a long run on the highway. Cool to slightly warm? OK, Hot? Not good.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #19

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

If it is a new-to-you rig, and there is no written documentation as to when the bearings were last re-packed (Sellers word DOES NOT count here) right now is the time to get them repacked. My rule of thumb is every year or 12,000 miles, but we tow about 12,000 miles a year anyway.
This is good advice as the trailer is fairly new to Wendy and also it had been in an accident prior to her purchase. So do the bearings, check the brakes, and now you know what you have and when it was done and schedule your maintenance times off this starting point. Just how to do those bearings has been one of those heated discussions more than once so I will not get into that.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:14 AM   #20

New York
Registry
Ez lube is a system for getting grease in made by dexter axle. Holes in the spindle allow grease to pump in through inner bearing, then outer bearing, forcing old grease out. I don't think it's a substitute for a hand pack and inspection, so that's what I was interested in learning to do. From my first post, all I've ever done is the ez lube. No you're right I don't travel a lot. In fact camping is over for me after today as it's gearing up to get back to work. Sigh