Anyone familiar with the "CanCooker" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2016, 02:48 PM   #1

Name: Ken
Trailer: Bigfoot 24B175CB
Michigan
Anyone familiar with the "CanCooker"

I am planning a 3 month trip and would like to know if anyone has used and would recommend one of the CanCookers by Seth McGinn. I am looking for another cooking option other the stove, microwave and outdoor grill that doesn't take up a lot of space.

Thanks,
Ken
msu1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:37 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I hadn't heard of that thing before, so I looked it up. The CanCooker is all aluminum, with 4 gallon capacity, about 12" diameter round and about 15" high. Aluminum handles will get hot. The item appears to pressurize the contents to some degree as it cooks, then vents off excess pressure with a relief valve. I have no idea how reliable the valve is; if it were to fail, you might find your dinner on the ceiling. Other brands of pressurizing kettles are cheaper, provide cool-touch handles, and may (or may not) have safer pressure relief systems.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:13 AM   #3

Name: Steve and Carolyn
Trailer: Casita 17" SDX
California
Hi--This website has lots of great camping ideas.How to make a Rocket Stove from a #10 Can and 4 Soup cans

I just collected all the parts for a rocket stove. Using the above link. There are dozens of different ways of making theses. I'm going to use an old gas stove grate instead of DIY metal tabs.Bought a new gallon paint can at the hardware store.
You can look up DIY solar,stoves and ovens. Tons of designs and ideas..

This website has given me endless ideas for projects.

Happy camping.

Carolyn and Steve
San Clemente, CA
"Little House on the Freeway" (interstate everywhere else)
Carolyn and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:16 AM   #4

Michigan
CanCooker Jr. review

Thanks for your comments Mike. I decided to check out a few of the reviews on the CanCooker online and there are several. I suggest you check some out yourself or anyone else if you are interested further.

Here is one as an example, Eccentric Eclectic Woman: CanCooker Jr. Review

There are also a couple of You Tube videos as well.

Mike if you know of other brands that I can compare could you post them.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 10-24-2016, 10:34 AM   #5

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I have seen a number of videos on You Tube about these can cookers and it appears that every one that has one loves them. The Seth McGinn brand comes in two sizes. The way that they are slightly pressurized is that the lid has a small hole in it which many of the You Tube videos show people putting a coin over the hole and when the pot builds up enough pressure to move the coin is when they start timing their cooking. From what I've read cowboys used to take dairy milk cans and throw a bunch of food in and cook them over a fire. Heres a link to them on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&pag...3Acan%20cooker
Old 10-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #6

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
[QUOTE=msu1966;614498]I am planning a 3 month trip and would like to know if anyone has used and would recommend one of the CanCookers by Seth McGinn. I am looking for another cooking option other the stove, microwave and outdoor grill that doesn't take up a lot of space.

How about an old Stanley or West Bend ovenette? Not the electric version but the stovetop/camp stove version. They work really well and so are hard to find. The Scotty and Airstream folks tend to snap them up.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
I was given one for Christmas and Love it!! I have used it for about four meals so far and it makes a great way to feed off a large group (10 or more). It comes with complete instructions and a few recipes which turn out great. I'd suggest you get the optional bottom grate (optional extra) but it cleans up nicely. It has a neat finish on it rather than raw aluminum. If someone hasn't seen or used one they might make uninformed comments, but it is a valuable addition to my outdoor kitchen and gets used as often as my Dutch oven.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:26 PM   #8

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Can cooker suggestion

Thanks, everyone, for commenting and introducing me to the Can Cooker...my Christmas shopping for my camping grandkids is done!
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:21 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
It sounds like you really want one, so I say go for it. I'm sure it will hold your food just fine while the food cooks.

My wife really likes her multi-purpose Instant Pot, but it is electric only and costs about twice as much.

Go Spartans!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:14 PM   #10

Michigan
Thanks for all of the valuable input, especially to Owen who probably sealed the deal for me.

Happy RV cooking,
Ken
Old 10-25-2016, 06:11 AM   #11

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Or, you could use a real pressure cooker like the GSI 2.7 L

Old 10-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #12

Texas
Registry
I have always thought they were to dangerous for me. My folks had one when I was a kid and something happened causing it to blow the pressure relief valve right through the ceiling. Thats why I like the idea of a can cooker with just a little pressure so you don't have to worry about getting blown to smithereens. So msu1966 if you ever get around to cooking some chili can carny tell us how it turns out.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:07 PM   #13

Michigan
Lee, I'm with you on the concern for the high pressure with traditional pressure cookers. I wonder if the cooking time with a CanCooker which I understand it to be 40-60 minutes depending on the kind/quantity of food is significantly longer than let's say the Halulite/GSI cooker which claims to be about half that time.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:39 PM   #14

Texas
Registry
40 to 60 minutes does not seem like an unreasonable amount of time to me. I'm sure that there are many thousands if not millions of people that use pressure cookers with no problem but the can cooker sounds like a much safer alternative to me.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:53 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by msu1966 View Post
I am planning a 3 month trip and would like to know if anyone has used and would recommend one of the CanCookers by Seth McGinn. I am looking for another cooking option other the stove, microwave and outdoor grill that doesn't take up a lot of space.

Thanks,
Ken
Have not used the CanCookers but a small George Foreman Grill is one of my must haves in the trailer when I am not in the mood to drag out & set up the outdoor grill. Works well for a steak or grilled sandwich. Easy to clean and takes up little storage room.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:01 PM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Between the Can Cooker and the Cobb Grill, we have all of our meals covered.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:40 PM   #17

Michigan
Thanks Jim for the tip on the Cobb Grill, never knew about it in all my research. What is your favorite fuel source and how do you clean it?
Old 11-01-2016, 05:29 AM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I purchased the Cobb briquets but any charcoal source will work. It is messy to clean so I try to cook on it a couple of times before throwing into a trash bag and take home for through cleaning. The grill plate is reversible and there are other accessories. Even a pizza plate.