Anyone to answer ASAP Boler ??'s ?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2007, 04:46 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm entertaining buying a '73 boler for $1800 which is a project to say the least...
1. is it worth it? (needs fridge, new tires, polishing, upholstery, light fixtures, interior work like insulation removed and coating, heater connected to vent)
2. will it have good resale?
3. how do I tell if axle is ok other than towing it around some?
Suzanne P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Suzanne,

I'm sure the Boler folks will jump in shortly, but having just redone a Scamp 13 I'm pretty familiar with the cost to fix one of these up.
Without seeing pics at a minimum and inspecting it in person I can only offer generalities.
You'll come out the backside with as much $$ into it as if you bought one that didn't need that much work. Is it worth it? Yes, if you love the work and you want the mods to be things you did. If you just would rather get on with camping then there have been plenty of them for sale that didn't need much in the $3-4000 range.

For example, if you replace the fridge with a 3-way like a Dometic it will be around $800 for the fridge before install. Tires will put you over $1000 and you're just gettting started. If it is the original axle it will need to be changed out somewhere between $500-700 installed.

Herb will pop in here most likely and let you know about how difficult replacing the ensolite or whatever you put back on the interior walls. I was able to clean and paint mine which saved a lot of both labor and money. Upholstery and new foam going the Scamp factory route ran over $400.

I certainly don't mean to discourage you, but to help put some perspective if you think it will be cheaper to go the fix up route. I've got as much $$ into mine now as just buying Paul's beautiful custom deluxe Scamp that is currently in the for sale section, but I loved doing the gut and rebuild so if you're crazy like me and some of the rest of us up here (quiet Gina) then I'd go for the project Boler.

Hope that kinda sorta helps.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:09 PM   #3

(quiet Gina)

I really like this part
Old 06-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Even if you buy a trailer thats in "good condition" you will still end up putting in more $$$ in Mods and Upgrades. We knew the upholstery was not in good shape at purchase and with the 12V. Battery, new plumbing, S/S fasteners, Scamp cushion covers, MaxxFan, LED lights, and new tires this week we are over 2K more than purchase price...But hey nothings too good for our Boler!!! I firmly believe the $$$'s are re coupable!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:52 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I'm entertaining buying a '73 boler for $1800 [b]which is a project to say the least...
My '71 Compact Jr initially cost me $900 to purchase from the previous owner.
It was a totally gutted shell on a frame with a questionable floor and bent bumper.
I had the axle "flipped"
replaced the floor
replaced the bumper
bought a spare wheel & tire; replaced the existing 2 tires
insulated the interior with reflectix and covered that with oilcloth
pulled & resealed the windows, replaced the wood trim, tinted the glass
wired the tail lights, plus the 12 volt and 110 volt electrical
built the bunks, table, closet, and kitchen
bought new foam & denim and made cushions, had miniblinds made for the windows
installed a water tank, manual pump faucet, and portapotty
installed a 12 volt igloo cooler (not a fridge)
installed four 12 volt lights
put in a group 24 deep cycle battery

...I stopped counting when I passed [b]$4000 spent
I LOVED every minute of doing it

The previous owner had painted it Charcoal Gray. I didn't mind because the finish was in good condition. I did NOT install a stove, nor a propane tank.

I could not find a buyer for it for almost a year after bought the Fiber Stream. Friends of mine offered me $1000 and I took it.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
IMHO, that amount of money asked should get you a fairly decent Egg! The bottom line I guess is are you planning to buy this trailer just to fix up, hope to make a coupla $$ and resell?? IF so, I think in the end, you'd loose,,,,
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Quote:
Suzanne,

Tires will put you over $1000 and you're just gettting started.
Not sure where you are buying your tires but I can put a replacement on a Chevy
truck with all=terrains for that amount!
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:13 AM   #8

Trailer: 73 13 ft Boler / 2004 Toyota Corolla
Send a message via MSN to Robin H
I think what was meant (or I assume) was tires added onto the cost of the fridge would put you over $1000.
I bought my boler last fall for $1300. I have spent $1000 on upholstery ($150ish for material and the rest on the foam and labor). This was a job I did not know how to tackle and I wanted it just right so I was willing to spend the money. The bulk of it was foam as I decided to get close to the best.
I replaced the tires at a total of $150. Then so far the rest is small stuff and labor. Like wiring, cleaning, preparing and painting ensolite, replacing rivets with ss screws. I am replacing all the cupboard door fronts but can't imagine for those few it costing very much. Had bought a few things from scamp like new hinges, white trim for around door frame, and new lock set. That cost me I think under $100 with shipping and exchange.

So basically, so far I am not doing too bad. I never plan on selling but in the back of my mind I know she is still worth more than I have put into her. And I would have not been able to buy something in updated condition for what I have spend thus far.

Just my 2 cents.

Robin
Robin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:23 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
I replaced the tires at a total of $150. Then so far the rest is small stuff and labor. Like wiring, cleaning, preparing and painting ensolite, replacing rivets with ss screws. I am replacing all the cupboard door fronts but can't imagine for those few it costing very much. Had bought a few things from scamp like new hinges, white trim for around door frame, and new lock set. That cost me I think under $100 with shipping and exchange.
I've had the opposite experience... I just bought brand new tires and rims... (2 rims, 3 tires), and came out about $930 but that was for 3 actual trailer tires... We've had upholstery done twice now. Cushions for the old 1300 were about $400, incl foam, material and sewing. We just did cushions for the 1700 (8 cushions) and it cost us about $450 (foam and material and sewing). That was using Labbe bedding here in Calgary.

I remember back in the late 70's, my dad did up a camper van for us and had the cushions made at Labbe bedding and was impressed. Apparently their reputation remains intact.

Suzanne: If you can possibly fix the ensolite, then I urge you to do so, or hire an upholstery guy...

If you're worried about 'resale', then you're in the wrong hobby... I sold my boler 1300 to Yuri for more money than I invested if I discount my effort completely. I lost money on it if we factor in some hourly rate (minimum wage) for my time. If you deduct value received out of using it over the years, it probably comes out about even (despite my current regrets at having sold it).

One would not want to get into the business of buying cheap, fixing up, and selling... It'd be a tough way to make a living.
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:30 AM   #10

What I've found the most eye-opening is not the big stuff, that is easy to estimate, it is the small nickel and dime stuff (No longer) which is now $25 to $50 stuff.

I haven't added it up yet but I'll bet I've got somewhere well over $100 in the SS screws, washers, nuts that I replaced the rivets with.

A trip to Home Depot or Ace to just get miscellaneous stuff to finish a project is over $25 most times just for odds and ends and how many trips have there been.

Wire supplies and wire alone are quite a price if you have to run a bunch of new circuits. Batteries, wax, stain, birch plywood help someone help I think I have a problem......
Old 06-27-2007, 02:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
What I've found the most eye-opening is not the big stuff, that is easy to estimate, it is the small nickel and dime stuff (No longer) which is now $25 to $50 stuff.

I haven't added it up yet but I'll bet I've got somewhere well over $100 in the SS screws, washers, nuts that I replaced the rivets with.

A trip to Home Depot or Ace to just get miscellaneous stuff to finish a project is over $25 most times just for odds and ends and how many trips have there been.

Wire supplies and wire alone are quite a price if you have to run a bunch of new circuits. Batteries, wax, stain, birch plywood help someone help I think I have a problem......
YUP- the "nickel and dime" stuff will kill ya if you count it. But, the way to look at it is a labor of luv... And also, now the prized possession is a product of your own hands and [b]the WAY YOU WANT IT.... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:35 PM   #12

Thank you ALL for your wisdom, nice responses!
I just could NOT decide...so there it sits, this little orange boler, lilting slightly to the right, a little sad looking, curved axle, rusty bottom...
here's my math, and it's only guesses
$1800 for trailer, $500 for tires, $1000 to get new axle (because this looks bent in the middle), $300 to rebalance, $400 for new fridge, $150 install, $150 for new stove, $300 for new upholstery (because I'd sew it myself), $300 for new pads, $100 for new flooring (which I'd do myself), $100 for internal coating, $75 for grit compound to polish exterior, $75 for fiberglass putty (or whatever it's called), $50 for new curtains/rods/hardware (I sew), $450 for new awning/tent attachment, $300 for new cabinet doors...
I'm up to $5900 not including my work removing the moldy interior insulation, driving it around for repairs, infinite stops for micro-parts...Let's throw in a few hundred more for miscellaneous...oh, I forgot, a new battery...
I might as well get a good-shape used one, not a bargain, which isn't such a bargain after all. It tore my heart out (well, sorta) to leave her there, it was so close, yet so far! If only he had come down in the price, to a -$6200, it'd be sold! I still agonized, still am...it's so darn cute!
And the front window is cracked, and there's a 2" crack by the front door where the water had gotten in (sticky caulk in it for now)...
Old 06-27-2007, 08:19 PM   #13

Quote:
$1800 for trailer, $500 for tires, $1000 to get new axle (because this looks bent in the middle), $300 to rebalance, $400 for new fridge, $150 install, $150 for new stove, $300 for new upholstery (because I'd sew it myself), $300 for new pads, $100 for new flooring (which I'd do myself), $100 for internal coating, $75 for grit compound to polish exterior, $75 for fiberglass putty (or whatever it's called), $50 for new curtains/rods/hardware (I sew), $450 for new awning/tent attachment, $300 for new cabinet doors...
I'm up to $5900 not including my work removing the moldy interior insulation, driving it around for repairs, infinite stops for micro-parts...Let's throw in a few hundred more for miscellaneous...oh, I forgot, a new battery...
I might as well get a good-shape used one, not a bargain, which isn't such a bargain after all. It tore my heart out (well, sorta) to leave her there, it was so close, yet so far! If only he had come down in the price, to a [b]-$6200, it'd be sold! I still agonized, still am...it's so darn cute!
And the front window is cracked, and there's a 2" crack by the front door where the water had gotten in (sticky caulk in it for now)...
Well, it _is_ a 30 year old trailer .... I think you're pretty high in a lot of your prices though... It's a 13foot boler right? It doesn't have 'an axle' if I remember correctly... What is a "rebalance"? what are "new pads"? a new awning for a 13 is about $250 w/hardware. grit compound and fiberglass putty is going to be $50 MAX combined... I realize this is fine tuning but take a way a hundred here, a few hundred there and you're way under $5900...

But in the end, only you know what you're ready for ....
Old 06-27-2007, 08:24 PM   #14

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Remember...There is more than one Boler in the Park... We lucked out and just sorta tripped over ours This could happen too you too Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:00 PM   #15

Suzanne,

Don't forget the nickel and dime stuff as well.

Being in the PNW you are in "eggville." I have seen so many cool resale eggs in Washington, Oregon and BC that you will have a plethora of ones to look at.

We'll all help you find the right one.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Makes me think that Kristi's Bolers on the island for $7900 are not that far off on market value. Has anyone noticed the 17' Boler in Ontario at $11,000?! Susanne if you add the real value your time is worth the renovation would reach astonomical proportions. These small trailers are a labor of love and we all put a lot of our heart and soul into maintaining them.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:07 PM   #17

Well, all I could do was guess on the amounts. No axle? What's that rod across the bottom? Seriously, there's a square rod, that has a slight bend in it in the center...if that's not the axle, is it a problem that curves or is it supposed to be? Is the rust an issue? The trailer was leaning over a bit, even though the tires were inflated, and the parking lot was flat, so should that have concerned me?
The owner called it an axle, and he's the one who mentioned it needing to be rebalanced. Pads, are just foam. You guys sure know your Bolers!
Thank you.
Quote:
Well, it _is_ a 30 year old trailer .... I think you're pretty high in a lot of your prices though... It's a 13foot boler right? It doesn't have 'an axle' if I remember correctly... What is a "rebalance"? what are "new pads"? a new awning for a 13 is about $250 w/hardware. grit compound and fiberglass putty is going to be $50 MAX combined... I realize this is fine tuning but take a way a hundred here, a few hundred there and you're way under $5900...

But in the end, only you know what you're ready for ....
Old 06-27-2007, 10:54 PM   #18

Trailer: 73 13 ft Boler / 2004 Toyota Corolla
Send a message via MSN to Robin H
Just my 2 cents again. I am definately no expert but your prices do seem awefully high. Like I said, my tires installed on existing rims were $150 taxes in. Material for upholstery including curtains (got a sale on really cool stuff) was $150.
Those are the prices I know.

Robin
Robin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:40 PM   #19

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Yes Suzanne, you do have an axel, for want of a better word, actually it connects your two axles that the hubs and wheels mount on at the ends.... the bend/arc is supposed to be there....it sets the camber angle, relationship of the angle of the wheels relative to the ground, slightly in at the bottom......if it is sagged on one side, if not because of the side to side weight distribution, then usually you`ll need a new axel ass`y.....if it isn`t adjustable, which it probably isn`t.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Well, all I could do was guess on the amounts. No axle? What's that rod across the bottom? Seriously, there's a square rod, that has a slight bend in it in the center...if that's not the axle, is it a problem that curves or is it supposed to be? Is the rust an issue? The trailer was leaning over a bit, even though the tires were inflated, and the parking lot was flat, so should that have concerned me?
The owner called it an axle, and he's the one who mentioned it needing to be rebalanced. Pads, are just foam. You guys sure know your Bolers!
Unless the rust is starting to eat its way through, then I would probably not worry about it. I think people are getting their torsion axles replaced for on the order of $600CAD (from what I've been reading)... The lean could have been a bad torsion axle or it could have been as simple as weight distribution.. You'll want someone experienced to look underneath... There is no known "rebalancing" procedure... When a seller starts blowing smoke up my adz, I tune them out and listen only to myself...

You already estimated $300 for cushions so I don't think you need to add another $300 for foam...

Tags
boler