Anyone using a HaulGauge? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2019, 11:54 AM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Anyone using a HaulGauge?

Does anyone have one of these and if so how well does it work?
Company website: https://www.haulgauge.com
On Amazon (Amazon):
HaulGauge Bluetooth OBD2 Scale
HaulGauge measures gross combined weight, tongue weight, payload, and pin weight with a wireless OBD-II connector and an app.
Compatible with all vehicles with an automatic transmission made after 1996.
App available on iOS & Android. Updated every two weeks.
New features always in development.
Peeps on another forum say it is quite accurate when comparing to the results of a CAT scale.
I am temped to buy one, but having never used a CAT scale I have nothing to compare. I do have a Sherline LM1000 scale. Wife is getting tired of me buying toys that don't work...
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
Reading the 2-star reviews on Amazon, it sounds like it's kinda finicky about calibration. Also needs ideal roads and rate of acceleration for accuracy – not always a given. On the other hand, it's super convenient. And the 5-star reviewers love it.

I'd be on the fence too.
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:17 PM   #3

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Does anyone have one of these and if so how well does it work?
Don't have one and don't see the need. It's always good to have a lot higher tow rating than the trailer weight. If you do, then the exact numbers don't matter. There is no absolute yes or no with tow rating vs trailer weight, when it comes to the question of "safe or not?". Once you know the weight of your trailer, by weighing it somewhere, you have a baseline and can be aware of how much you might add or take away on different trips. And once you know the weight, you don't need to be watching it all the time as you drive.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #4

Tennessee
I don't have one but I am thinking that is would be used intermittently, not continuously. That is you load the trailer at home, weight it on a good level paved road near you home, go forth and RV, then maybe unload at the end of the season. The next season maybe add or subtract from the items you take, then weight the rig, etc, maybe buy a new truck etc. Some people seem to weight their rigs many times during the course of a camping season, although I am not certain why this is done.

As has been said, I too like a bit of safty margin and don't really pay much attention to weight. I do try to distribute the weight from side to side, not sure if this can determine that sort of thing.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:31 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Accelerometers and load cells on a moving machine might be able to give you a rough indication of the weights. But cannot match the accuracy of a static scale.
Save your money. No need to go to a CAT scale, if you can find a grain elevator of feed store, or a gravel yard, with a scale.
See my other posts on how to get accurate numbers.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:09 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Don't have one and don't see the need. It's always good to have a lot higher tow rating than the trailer weight. If you do, then the exact numbers don't matter. There is no absolute yes or no with tow rating vs trailer weight, when it comes to the question of "safe or not?". Once you know the weight of your trailer, by weighing it somewhere, you have a baseline and can be aware of how much you might add or take away on different trips. And once you know the weight, you don't need to be watching it all the time as you drive.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:11 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Measuring devices are only good if you plan doing something with the results. If you're not going to use the results for something then don't use that measuring device.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Since I got an F250 diesel 4x4 (tow rating, 12500 lbs, payload 2000 lbs), I've totally ceased to care what my ~4000-4500 lb trailer weighs.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:14 PM   #9

Tennessee
It looks like I am destined to weight my TV & TT at least one time fully loaded, just before we hit the road this year. My problem is I spent my money on a trailer and don't want to buy another truck. I really like my 2011 Tundra 4x4 5.7L with tow package. The issue is it will be towing a Big Foot 25 with cargo box in front, loaded. It is pretty much maxed out as far as payload.I don't really care how slow it will be going up a hill, my concern will be coming down the other side. I am going to shelve this Haulgauge gizmo for now. Thanks for all the comments.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
the safe bet is to use the GWR of the trailer, and a tongue gauge.

airbags on the rear axle of the tundra will likely improve its ride when heavily loaded with or without the trailer.

pretty sure everyone I've seen hauling a Bigfoot 25 has a WDH.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:25 PM   #11

Tennessee
Thanks John. I have a Sherline scale and my Tundra has Firestone airbags in the back. and I will be using a Blue Ox WDH.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:22 AM   #12

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Sounds about right John. I tow a similar weight trailer. My half ton will tow it but sometimes works hard on longer hills. The F-250 diesel doesn't seem to notice the trailer at all and uses about the same amount of fuel as the half ton.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:00 PM   #13

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
The hit-or-miss reviews are definitely about what I'd expect for something like this. It's a neat idea, but that's an awful lot of variables to solve for accurately with a few somewhat fuzzy inputs. Probably accurate for some setups and not so accurate for others, which in practice probably renders it not very useful.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:18 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you get a quality tongue scale, like Sherline, and use it a few times, along with weighing the entire trailer, you will settle on a method for loading the trailer that will pretty much result in the same numbers over and over.