Applying ProFlex in freezing temps? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Coleman and Bigfoot
British Columbia
Applying ProFlex in freezing temps?

I'm heading to Oregon for the holiday and I have some leaks I'd like to deal with around my vent. I have one day of possibly dry weather on Saturday to work on my trailer but it's going to be outside. They are calling for -1C(30F) on that day.

Is there any point in trying to chalk when it's that cold?
Old 12-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #2

Name: tony
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
British Columbia
Check geocell website the maker or Pro Flex RV cauking which is the best on the market for what you're planning. It states clearly that it will bond to frozen surface. Make sure it's been wiped clean with camp stove fuel or turpentine to insure a clean surface and you're good to go.
ninklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:44 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
and make sure the Proflex is room temperature before trying to install.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:26 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If you heat up the inside of the trailer I'll bet you can get the outside up over freezing especially when your done cover your repair with plastic keeping it off the calking and throw an old quilt or sleeping bag over the top.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:55 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I have had great success using the aluminum duct tape to stop leaks until months later when it is warm enough to pull the vent or window and use butyl tape to reset the item.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:23 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I needed to apply some spray adhesive today. I warmed up the surface I was applying it to with a heat gun. But in addition to that I had warmed up the can of adhesive in a hot water bath. So there are ways to locally warm up the area and the materials you are using but it only works for fast curing products. If you are using a product that is slow curing it just won't work very well as it would freeze before it could cure.

If it is the perimeter seal on a window or roof vent that was leaking I would pull the window and them apply butyl putty tape that has been brought up to a temperature between 60 to 70 degrees and work quickly to get the window secured back in position so the tape is still soft enough for some compression. You might also need to heat the aluminum window frame with a heat gun to get the tape warmed up enough to remove the frame. Just be careful while working not to touch the heat gun to the fabric of your clothing as some winter clothing is prone to melting very quickly.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote