Are there maintenance places for eggs? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2009, 10:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Boler
Hi, I have just bought my 17' boler. It is almost fully original in its components throughout and in decent shape considering that it hasn't really been touched. Perhaps it is the lack of use that it has seen that leaves it in this shape it is in. However, I have been READING and READING all the posts in this amazing forum, and I am starting to feel that I am in over my head. My hubby is not handy. He will do as I ask around the house, out of obligation and love for his family, but he is not a tinkerer, or a willing handyman. I am going to be in charge of this trailer (he had no particular interest in buying it, but agreed, because he is easy going) and I am feeling that I will not be able to handle what needs doing to maintain this sweet little egg of mine. Soooo...

My question is this (and please pardon me if I sound completely ignorant here): are there places that I can take my egg and have the work I need done performed for a fee, or does everyone do the work themselves??? Eeek! I feel so lame! All you folks seem to know and understand the systems and mechanics of your trailers, and I just don't think I am handy enough to deal with it all myself! Not to mention that I don't have the tools. I watched a fiberglass patching video and it scared me to bits. It is a 20 step process with a TON of lotions and potions, and I am not going to be into that! I don't have the space to spread out for those kinds of projects or the inclination to learn to be an expert in all these areas.

Have I set myself up for failure, or is there somewhere I can take my boler for advise and service, both mechanically and for the aesthetic upgrades too.

I would welcome the chance to learn about these systems and processes to upkeep and upgrade my boler, but I need to know where to take my trailer to get the service support I need to keep it in good working order and looking good too!

I live in Vancouver, BC. Anyone??

Thanks so much!!

Dawn
Dawn S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Hi, I have just bought my 17' boler. It is almost fully original in its components throughout and in decent shape considering that it hasn't really been touched. Perhaps it is the lack of use that it has seen that leaves it in this shape it is in.
The vast majority of the components of these trailers are just like any travel trailer, such as the running gear, vehicle lights, brakes, windows, appliances and such. Any reputable RV service center could handle it. I take mine to a local Trailer service center to maintain the running gear, since I don't have those skills. The fiberglass body repairs could be handled by a boat shop. I don't know where to go in Canada, but someone will be along who can advise you ...

Old 06-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #3

Quote:
The vast majority of the components of these trailers are just like any travel trailer, such as the running gear, vehicle lights, brakes, windows, appliances and such. Any reputable RV service center could handle it. I take mine to a local Trailer service center to maintain the running gear, since I don't have those skills. The fiberglass body repairs could be handled by a boat shop. I don't know where to go in Canada, but someone will be along who can advise you ...

Thanks Fred! I feel better already. Boats, fiberglass...of course And, I looked up a full service RV centre in my area which gave me piece of mind as well. I can't wait to start fixing it up, I just don't feel able. I need a boler mentor. Someone local who I can seek hands on support from. I will have to seek that individual out, here in Vancouver.

Thank you for the welcome and the support!

Dawn
Old 06-21-2009, 02:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
These guys have places all over and are, I think, a reputable firm.

http://www.campingworld.com/

You can buy a membership which should save you money.

We got a deal on Camping World and Good Sams membership.

But be careful, they both have all kinds of things to sell you. Think twice if you really need it before you buy. Sort of like AAA for RV's and insurance and maintenance contracts and it goes on and on.

Good luck with your egg, and welcome to eggland.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Lightbulb

Quote:
These guys have places all over and are, I think, a reputable firm.

http://www.campingworld.com/

You can buy a membership which should save you money.

We got a deal on Camping World and Good Sams membership.

But be careful, they both have all kinds of things to sell you. Think twice if you really need it before you buy. Sort of like AAA for RV's and insurance and maintenance contracts and it goes on and on.

Good luck with your egg, and welcome to eggland.
No camping worlds on this side of the border.But there are lots of long-term rv places throughout the Lower Mainland that will serve you, as well as boat and marine places. But I'd suggest going to an RV meet and seeing what people have done and how simple some of this is, and get recommendations about there they get work done. ANd above all, have fun and enjoy it.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #6

Thanks for the recommends! I know that I am just feeling overwhelmed with the overall idea of wanting my boler to be in perfect shape for me. I know this will be an ongoing process - always changing and maintaining bits and pieces. I look forward to learning!

Dawn
Old 06-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Dawn, you sound like I feel some days...................... Hang in there, there is a ton of help here as well. And NO you haven't set yourself up for failure.

One of the first things I would have done, is the trailer bearings packed if they haven't been done recently. Which most automotive places can do that, just need to find one that will work on trailer bearings. Then proceed to having the electical/propane stuff checked out. Do you know if it has water tanks? grey/black tanks? Does the fridge work? How about the stove?

Then have a rv service person/place check it out and tell you what needs to be done. The things that need to be done for safety sake should be top on the list. But then as far as the "cute" factor stuff I agree with Ian, get your self to a egg gathering so that you can see all the wonderful things others have done to theirs as well other egg'ers are a wealth of info. And until you get it the way you want it you can always look at it like........... I can't remember how Donna a moderator here on the forum puts it, but it's something like at the very least you have a hard sided tent. So for now until you get it the way you want it, you can still use it as a hard sided tent. A good bath and a good scrub always does wonders too. I know that the first Casita we bought I had buyers remorse but giving it a good bath and overall cleaning helped a little I say a little cause we bought a 2007 a little over a week later which is truly what I was looking for to start with but the 85 came along first.

Are you needing help to figure out how to work all the stuff like grey/black tank empying? How to get the fridge going? How to get your stabilizers down? trailer level? How to fill with fresh water? My suggestion would be call upon a good friend to help you learn cause if someone has a rv most of the systems are about the same or to call a rv repair guy who comes to the rv versus one you have to take it to and pay him to go thru the whole process of getting set up at a campsite (recommend taking it to a local rv park with hookups so you can do each step) I also have to say that 99% percent of campers are helpful people so just by getting a site at a local campground you probably could get volunteers to help you learn it. Again you haven't set yourself up for failure, I promise when it's all said and done you will get many years of camping memory's from all the effort you put into it. Yes you maybe facing a learning curve but you can overcome that! Best of Luck! Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Dawn, I am deathly afraid to cut into my egg anywhere, even to hang a shelf. I know what I want to do, but I am surely NOT going to do it. I take it to Camping World for the mechanical issues as I refuse to do them. I want flooring, but covered the carpet with a carpet runner I can throw out when it gets dirty. No way will I attempt doing the floor myself.
SO---------I CAN understand your delima. Mine will stay as is. The biggest mod I have done is hanging a pet fan in the bathroom for venalation Alot can be done without really doing much to it. It is those mechanical issues that get expensive. When I can no longer hire it done, the egg will be no longer mine.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Dawn, you sound like I feel some days...................... Hang in there, there is a ton of help here as well. And NO you haven't set yourself up for failure.

One of the first things I would have done, is the trailer bearings packed if they haven't been done recently. Which most automotive places can do that, just need to find one that will work on trailer bearings. Then proceed to having the electical/propane stuff checked out. Do you know if it has water tanks? grey/black tanks? Does the fridge work? How about the stove?

Then have a rv service person/place check it out and tell you what needs to be done. The things that need to be done for safety sake should be top on the list. But then as far as the "cute" factor stuff I agree with Ian, get your self to a egg gathering so that you can see all the wonderful things others have done to theirs as well other egg'ers are a wealth of info. And until you get it the way you want it you can always look at it like........... I can't remember how Donna a moderator here on the forum puts it, but it's something like at the very least you have a hard sided tent. So for now until you get it the way you want it, you can still use it as a hard sided tent. A good bath and a good scrub always does wonders too. I know that the first Casita we bought I had buyers remorse but giving it a good bath and overall cleaning helped a little I say a little cause we bought a 2007 a little over a week later which is truly what I was looking for to start with but the 85 came along first.

Are you needing help to figure out how to work all the stuff like grey/black tank empying? How to get the fridge going? How to get your stabilizers down? trailer level? How to fill with fresh water? My suggestion would be call upon a good friend to help you learn cause if someone has a rv most of the systems are about the same or to call a rv repair guy who comes to the rv versus one you have to take it to and pay him to go thru the whole process of getting set up at a campsite (recommend taking it to a local rv park with hookups so you can do each step) I also have to say that 99% percent of campers are helpful people so just by getting a site at a local campground you probably could get volunteers to help you learn it. Again you haven't set yourself up for failure, I promise when it's all said and done you will get many years of camping memory's from all the effort you put into it. Yes you maybe facing a learning curve but you can overcome that! Best of Luck! Robin
Thanks Robin, I am soooo excited to get started! The idea of taking it to a camp site and getting a tutorial sounds very wise. I currently have the boler at an RV shop getting all the systems checked out, as you recommended.

You are right too - a hard sided camper at the least!!

I am so excited to take it apart and get it just like I like it, but I know it is a wise idea to get it to a meet first and check out the methods of others tried and tested ways of modifying and living in these cool trailers.

Thank you so much for your time and imput!

Dawn