Arlyn's question about laminate floors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2008, 12:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 74 Boler
Quote:
Hi Andrew! Nice usable Boler you have there. The inside looks pretty clean and the outside will look great after some paint. I have bamboo flooring in mine and so far I like it.

Hello! we have just started fixing up a Boler as well... I was wondering how laminate stands up to the wear and tear of life in a trailer?? I was hoping for laminate, but I was worried that the moisture would be too much for it?

Arlyn R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Arlyn,

Have you taken a look at the Traffic Master Allure Resilient flooring? Maybe if you do a search on resilient floor you will find a discussion on that product. I'm sure we have talked about it. No wood product so water is not a problem. Easy to cut with utility knife, pieces lock together via interlocking sticky stuff. We got ours at Home Depot, but do not have it in the trailer.

We used this in an old kitchen and are pleased. There was a bit of a rubber smell (not that glue particle board smell) for a time. Nice thing is it floats so one can easily take it out later if not happy.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
That sounds like a great idea. Was it really easy to install? And okay when it is wet? What did you install it over?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:18 PM   #4

Bobbie,

We have this disgusting kitchen that had maybe 40-50 year old tiles in it. Some of the tiles were gone and we filled that with some floor leveling stuff. Then just put this resilient stuff on top of the patched and original floor. Don't know if our old tiles have asbestos but did not want to try to remove it anyway.

I don't think this new flooring looks quite as nice as laminate but because of water and ease of putting this stuff down we went with it. Water will not be any problem. When we bought it there were only three wood colors available here. Also this is a dull finish, so if you like a shine it wouldn't be for you.

You probably need to install this stuff in warm weather to make the seal stick properly. Our house is kept quite cold and we did it in the summer when the heat could seal it well. One should use a roller over the sticky parts to make them bond well.

I don't do anything that requires sharp utility knives, but for a small area like a trailer even I would tackle this job. Not so the laminate flooring that would require power tools.

Bobbie, are you the one with the rodeo trailer? I never heard "the rest of the story".

Nancy
Old 03-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #5

Registry
Nope, not the one with the rodeo trailer.

Maybe I'll try it over the linoleum in the trailer first and then use it in the house if I like it. Or try it in the hallway (should be easy to do) and use it in the kitchen if I like it. It sounds like a good product. I don't care about shine but I want something my Scooba can safely clean. My sister put in some lovely laminate (tile look) and then a flood in their kitchen destroyed a bunch of it- that's not for me!

How does it stand up to traffic? Like doggy claws?

Bobbie
Old 03-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I used it in my Scamp. It has been in place for a year now with tons of trips with 2 kids 5 and 8 beating the heck out of it and lots of spills. We absolutely love it. Looks and install like laminate, but much tougher and easier to install with no sub sheeting requirement. Score with a utility knife and snap. Preglued tongue and groove like system.
Here's some pics, I used the Cherry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Table.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	12265
Attached Thumbnails
floor.jpg   floor1.jpg  

2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:36 PM   #7

Registry
Is it flexible? Is there any way to do coving with it? My existing kitchen floor has coving rather than baseboards (very common here.)
Old 03-26-2008, 02:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Regular Laminate WILL absorb moisture at the seams and swell up - some does it worse then others. If you choose regular laminate it's recommended to seal the seams with glue. I put down some glue laminate in our basement and we have survived some serious water floods with no seam swell. Our living room click laminate has swells everywhere from just small spills of water. Found this tidbit about gluing laminate which I think applies to this application:

"Glued To The Task: You may not need to do this in the rest of the house, but manufacturers recommend that in bathrooms and kitchens you glue the joints to seal them properly. Apply the glue to the top of the tongue only. As you click the joints together, a thin bead of glue will show on the surface. This must be wiped off with a damp cloth, before the glue dries. This procedure is only necessary during a bathroom or kitchen laminate flooring installation."
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #9

Bobbie,

It is not that flexible. We put quarter round between the base of the cabinet and the floor. On the wall part we put baseboard.

There is a product still in use (have seen it at Menards) that comes in different colors and is flexible base board material, used in bathrooms and kitchens. If you use that the trick about going around 90 degree angles is to heat the product with hair dryer (or something) to make it bend easier. We haven't used that yet. You attach it with some adhesive.

Greg, thanks for posting your picture. I knew someone had used it before. We went with the oak for a lighter color. I like your richer color.

Nancy
Old 03-28-2008, 09:11 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I used the lowes peel and stick planks in my 13 and was very pleased with how it turned out. As Greg said, it couldn't be easier to install.

The only issue I had with it was if you have stuff to slide on the floor, like your tote bins or, in my case, a porta potti, it will wear the color and pattern off the material. I had white streaks where the porta potti slide constantly from under my bunk.

In my 17, I laid a sheet vinyl product from home depot. I can't find the cherry color there anymore. I has held up nicely as well, except for where one of the floor bolt heads has worn thru. It is a temporary floor and I haven't leveled it yet. I just wanted the carpet out as I had a toilet problem and it started to mold from the moisture.

13 floor

Click image for larger version

Name:	table_up.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	12326

17 floor

Attached Thumbnails
bigburrofloor.jpg  
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote