Attaching an Outsunny Awning w/ 3m VHB tape? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2018, 05:42 PM   #1

Name: Bradley
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Oregon
Attaching an Outsunny Awning w/ 3m VHB tape?

Hi Everyone,

I was thinking about attaching this Outsunny car awning to the side of my Hunter Compact II with 3m vhb tape.
https://www.amazon.com/Outsunny-Car-.../dp/B071Y1921B

It weighs around 20 lbs. Do you think it would work or probably be too heavy? I'm going to attach a solar panel with the same tape so thought it might be worth a try. Let me know if you have any thoughts!

Would love to be able to attach the ARB car awning that way but i'd imagine it would be too heavy/bulky at 35lbs: https://www.amazon.com/ARB-4x4-Acces...b+awning&psc=1

I just want to avoid drilling into the fiberglass.
Planetcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:27 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
No way that tape will hold an awning. You might use it though between the awning and trailer where you mount the fasteners in order to seal the fastener and mitigate any rattles. I'm not aware that there is any way to attach an awning without drilling for fasteners unless you already have a roof rack or some other already mounted fixture that you could attach it to.

As for the solar...I used these mounts https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with the VHB tape stuck to the camper, and then just screwed through the mount to the solar panel to hold the panel to the mount. The mounts will have to stick to a flat surface on your camper though so that might be the challenge. Good luck!
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #3

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
I saw it at the GE&H rally this past weekend, gentleman said it worked well. It was a bag awning and the rail was attached with the tape.

Richard
dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:08 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblcola View Post
I saw it at the GE&H rally this past weekend, gentleman said it worked well. It was a bag awning and the rail was attached with the tape.

Richard
I also believe that it will hold up if it is a bag type awning and you remove the awning from the rail for travel. I have been using 3M tape to hold both semi- flexible solar panels and a Renogy 160 watt panel using Renogy mounts for fiberglass application. I have had ZERO problems in 3 years sitting in the Arizona sun with this tape. I did use Scotch Bright to lightly rough up the mounting surface, and the prep that 3M has available (got it off Amazon when ordering the tape).
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
... I did use Scotch Bright to lightly rough up the mounting surface, and the prep that 3M has available (got it off Amazon when ordering the tape).
Surface prep varies by surface material AND the type of VHB tape used (there are many variations of VHB tape).. from the 3M site:
Exceptions to these abrading guidelines are 3M™ VHB™ Tapes 4932 and 4952, as they typically perform best on smooth glossy surfaces and abrasion may reduce the bond strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetcookie View Post
Hi Everyone,

I was thinking about attaching this Outsunny car awning to the side of my Hunter Compact II with 3m vhb tape....
I suggest you go to the 3M website and do some research, in particular the VHB Tape Design Guide. Then maybe contact 3M and ask which version of VHB tape you should use, what prep is needed, etc.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #6

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
For a solar panel "100 Watts" I used the following method that you can see on the video and I have 2 complete seasons without problem.
I check regularly and everything is o.k ..
I read someone in the group who replaced one of his solar panels after 5 years, he used the method explained in the video and he wrote that everything was beautiful under the bindings, they were still very solid. ..

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If you really have to use adhesive tape make sure you remove all wax or wax like coating from the gel-coat before sticking your parts to it.

Like said above I would not drive with the bag hanging on there.

I have a bag awning on my Scamp the rail is bolted and pop riveted to the scamp with butyl tape between the rail and fiberglass for a seal. I do not leave my awning hanging on there when I travel. One to keep it clean and less stressed. and since my trailer is out and exposed 24-7 it will last a whole lot longer if kept out of the elements when not in use.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #8

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
I use 3M RP45 tape as the ONLY attaching point for my 10' x 12' rope and pole awning via the 1.5" wide vinyl awning rail and it is plenty strong. I have tried other 3M adhesive tapes but all have failed except this one. Surface prep is key. Light sanding with 800 grit on both surfaces, cleaning completely and using the 3M adhesion promotion works well. This has been on the trailer for over a year in all kinds of wind, rain, heat, etc... as we camp 75 days a year. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...ture10129.html
Old 03-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #9

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
[IMG]
Old 03-20-2018, 05:58 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Maybe I over-killed it but I attached my 8 foot bag awning with rivets every 6 inches and on the ends I placed a 1/4 bold with acorn nut on the inside of my Boler 13. I know that sucker isn't going anywhere.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:37 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I was thinking about attaching this Outsunny car awning to the side of my Hunter Compact II with 3m vhb tape.
https://www.amazon.com/Outsunny-Car-.../dp/B071Y1921B

It weighs around 20 lbs. Do you think it would work or probably be too heavy? I'm going to attach a solar panel with the same tape so thought it might be worth a try. Let me know if you have any thoughts!

Would love to be able to attach the ARB car awning that way but i'd imagine it would be too heavy/bulky at 35lbs: https://www.amazon.com/ARB-4x4-Acces...b+awning&psc=1

I just want to avoid drilling into the fiberglass.
If you have painted the trailer then the VHB tape will not be a good way to hold the awning on as the paint could separate from the surface of the fiberglass.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:16 PM   #12

Oregon
Thanks for all the in depth responses everyone. I really love this forum for the wealth of knowledge. I'm going to clean the area, rough it up with scotch bright and try the 3M RP45 (and take the awning off of the Outsunny rail system). I called 3m but they weren't super helpful with VHB tape and recommended a few different liquid adhesives instead. I'll let you know how it goes!

Bradley
Old 03-23-2018, 04:20 PM   #13

North Carolina
Quote:
... I called 3m but they weren't super helpful with VHB tape and recommended a few different liquid adhesives instead. ..
That is very interesting.. if they recommended something other than the VHB tape that they otherwise seem to think is the best thing since sliced bread, then that might in fact be VERY helpful advice. Something to consider.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:52 PM   #14

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
That is very interesting.. if they recommended something other than the VHB tape that they otherwise seem to think is the best thing since sliced bread, then that might in fact be VERY helpful advice. Something to consider.
They weren't VERY helpful with "VHB tape" and recommended something more permanent by using a liquid adhesive (which they were VERY helpful with). I want to avoid the liquid adhesives that they mentioned since the solar panel or awning would probably never be able to be removed. Though I've done a lot of research online and along with this thread that certain VHB tapes are working very well with other users. Some users have called 3M and did get helpful advice on using VHB tape for such applications.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:19 PM   #15

North Carolina
Quote:
They weren't VERY helpful with "VHB tape" and recommended something more permanent by using a liquid adhesive (which they were VERY helpful with). ..
Was that 3M 5200?
Old 03-24-2018, 02:16 AM   #16

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
One of the critical factors where I would have to be very careful in my VHB tape choice for mounting solar panels on my older Campster is that the surface is not very flat, it has some low areas on the roof. The foam thickness of the tape needs to be twice as thick as the maximum size of mismatch in the surfaces or I will not get adequate bonding.

A person might say they put up a flexible rail that can conform to the surface of a fibebrglass trailer with VHB tape and it has done great and indeed it has been a well bonded installation. However the same result might not happen with the particular tape they used for someone who has to install a long length of metal extrusion that does not flex and conform to meet the surface of the trailer.

Some do take time to do background research, reading everything that 3M has to say about what to do that is a close match to your own situation is well worth the time spent in getting good results. I would not have known how to determine the right thickness of tape to use if I had not gone to their website and done the research.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:27 AM   #17

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
After verifications on the 3M site, I chose the 3M VHB RP25, for its outdoor use, anti-dust and UV resistant.
Attached Thumbnails
Tape 1 po 3M VHB RP25.JPG  
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #18

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Was that 3M 5200?
They recommended structural adhesives:
dp420
or dp6310ns
or
dp6330ns
Old 03-24-2018, 03:53 PM   #19

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
After verifications on the 3M site, I chose the 3M VHB RP25, for its outdoor use, anti-dust and UV resistant.
Thanks for this. I believe someone else recommended the same tape and I think i'll give it a go with the proper surface prep.

Tags
awning