Attaching walls - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
Attaching walls

That subject really isn't specific but it's as close as I could get.

Stripping the Amerigo to the shell. I found a couple places where they mounted a plywood / foam sandwich to provide an attachment point...for example on the wall behind the sink. 1" foam with 3/8 plywood - maybe 2 x 3 feet.

So I've been thinking. That's held up very well...instead of replacing - rebuilding really - the wood structure that held the wall panels in place, why not attach foam/plywood strips to the shell walls and attach the wall panels to that?

They used resin to attach the foam panels - that would be easy - easier than fabricating stick frames - lighter - less prone to rot.

Anybody have an opinion?

Old 03-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Crowl View Post

Anybody have an opinion?
An opinion? Moi?

That system makes good sense. Use a rigid foam, maybe glue instead of resin, put the foam strips close together and you will be insulating as well as mounting lath strips. I would explore lighter wall material than plywood - some laminates are available that are really cool.

Keep us posted.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:30 PM   #3

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
Right.
The Amerigo used fiberglass batting as insulation. It was spotty - slumped into wads and had become mouse infested.

I'm thinking urethane foam pretty much everywhere with wood where I need attachment points for the wall panels. For the wall panels I'd like to use thin birch veneer ply to give it the Classic Camper look.

I like a lot of Formica and Wilsonart products, but they aren't water resistant from the back side. They have to be laminated and I'm not sure how I could do that and still conform to the curves and angles

The way the original wood framing and wall coverings had rotted I thought I was working on a boat!
Old 03-08-2011, 11:42 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
California
Registry
Quote:
Right.
The way the original wood framing and wall coverings had rotted I thought I was working on a boat!
Eggs are just upside down boats on wheels, ask Raya... The Fiber Stream has wood batons attached to the hull with resin for small attach points. One band of plywood covered with cloth and resin goes along each wall and is used to attach the bunks and counters.

I found that 1/8 inch tempered hard board or laminate will conform to most gentle curves. I used that in the cabinets and closet. For the walls I used 1/4 inch dense foam - similar to neoprene - and painted it. Conforms to curves, insulates and cleans easily.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:58 AM   #5

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
I think this is what is called "Tabbing" in general in fiberglass fabrication and construction and is a standard method of doing what you are thinking of.

Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #6

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Speaking of Raya, anybody ever get a hold of her or hear from her that e'thing is ok?

Quote:
Right.
The Amerigo used fiberglass batting as insulation. It was spotty - slumped into wads and had become mouse infested.

I'm thinking urethane foam pretty much everywhere with wood where I need attachment points for the wall panels. For the wall panels I'd like to use thin birch veneer ply to give it the Classic Camper look.

I like a lot of Formica and Wilsonart products, but they aren't water resistant from the back side. They have to be laminated and I'm not sure how I could do that and still conform to the curves and angles

Old 03-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #7

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Both Raya and her expertise are sorely missed here. Look for her posts re tabbing.
Using glass and epoxy to place stringers and then glassing your cupboards and kitchen unit into place with 6 inch glass tape makes them all part of each other. You will get a tremendous amount of strength from that method without the use of screws or rivets. Wether you use foam or plywood won't add a lot of weight because of the small quantity used. Your actual strength comes from the fiberglass to fiberglass contact. The stringers are there mainly to hold things in place while the epoxy sets up. You could just glass things into place without them if you could hold things in place until the epoxy cures.